Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

World's Ugliest Dog 2009

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
The winner is... Pabst!!! a Boxer-mix with an underbite! :D
This was the first time in 5 years that a Chinese Crested did not win!
http://www.dlisted.com/files/pabstugliestdog12.jpg

link to a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAD7Tf1tUrE&feature=player_embedded

I didn't even think many of the dogs on that video were "ugly"!!

CClover
June 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
mollywog: this is not toward you but against that stupid contest.

I don't understand why we should celebrate poor breeding practice.

I'm a chinese crested owner and ppl always think that chinese crested are ugly and we have to explain that some ppl mix diffrent breed just to make them look ugly.

Many of the past years ''winners'' were shelter dogs that ppl adopt just to be able to participate that contest.

In my heart I believe that looking diffrent or being handicap in any way doesn't mean ugly.

How can kids learn to be good citizen if we as adult we teach them that it's ok to laugh at a dog that looks diffrent?

I don't know the number but I know that every year a lot of cats/dogs are being PTS just because they look diffrent.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate that contest.

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
CClover, I was not offended by your comment. I agree and like I said, think that many of the contestants are cuties! Even just look at that face on Pabst! :lovestruck:

NoahGrey
June 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I don't understand why we should celebrate poor breeding practice.

I'm a chinese crested owner and ppl always think that chinese crested are ugly and we have to explain that some ppl mix diffrent breed just to make them look ugly.

Many of the past years ''winners'' were shelter dogs that ppl adopt just to be able to participate that contest.

I just to comment on your post. Just because the dog has an underbite, doesn't make him from a bad breeder. Sometimes things turn out, no matter how much effort you put into it.

I don't see anything wrong with the contest, and it's all in good humour.

Someones opinion of ugly is just their opinion. I also think is it funny that you are so upset over a contest over an "ugly" dog, when you comment about the breed that you have and that people mix different breeds to make a breed look ugly, yet seem to like a breed on the fact that they are considered "ugly" dogs. You may not think of your dog as ugly, but do you think it is right for breeders to try and come up with a dog that would be classified as ugly. Taking all of the negative genes and breed at dog.

And I don't believe that people are adopting animals, just for the sake of possible being in a contest. Where is this info from?

ACO22

mastifflover
June 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well I think Pabst is a cutie. I am sure it is all in good fun. If they have a contest for the craziest dog I will be entering Clark, who cute as can be is nuts but I love him anyhow.

Mat&Murph
June 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think he is cute :cloud9: I am sure and hope the contest is just a fun contest.

BusterBoo
June 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I think Pabst is gorgeous and if Harly was still with me, he could challange for the underbite !

Chaser
June 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Pabst is adorable :lovestruck:

I do think it's just for fun, and I remember seeing an interview with the owner of the 2008 winner.....that woman clearly adored her chinese crested despite the fact that it looked like a gremlin. I have no doubt it would have been killed if someone like her didn't come along to love it.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I don't think he's ugly at all. But then again, I didn't think the past winners were ugly. I thought they were all cute.:cloud9:

BMDLuver
June 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm having trouble with it being a boxer mix? Sure looks like a DDB if anything....

I have a crested as well and she's beautiful to me..... we lovingly refer to her as our pot bellied piggy as no matter how we try she always has a bit of a pot belly and grunts happily.

Golden Girls
June 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I also think Babs is really cute :lovestruck: Although it's all in fun for some I find it offensive probably because I wouldn't ever consider any dog ugly hair/no hair underbite whatever it just gives them that much more personality

BenMax
June 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I am not offended at all by using the word 'ugly'. We as humans judge people (even babies) and use this word. It's an adjective that's all.

I have seen ugly dogs, cats, kids and when I wake up in the morning - I look worse then most and I would say I am 'ugly'. So what.

The dog seen is not ugly in my opinion - there are uglier.

It's a contest and I think if it is taken into context that regardless of how ugly - they merit love and admiration just as any other. Someone loves this dog and is darn proud to let everyone know that their ugly dog is a 'someone' and in fact is loved and celebrated.

Side note - I am with BDMLuver - looks DDB X.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM
It's a contest and I think if it is taken into context that regardless of how ugly - they merit love and admiration just as any other. Someone loves this dog and is darn proud to let everyone know that their ugly dog is a 'someone' and in fact is loved and celebrated.

Well said!

hunnybunny
June 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
What a cutie , i think he is adorable :lovestruck: Bless him.