Wandering over to admire the peonies...

...and bearded iris...

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
...hazel runs into Luna Moths...

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
...and Polyphemus Moths.

Moths, of course, aren't great conversationalists, but they sure can be pretty to look at! :D

finis

breeze
June 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm amazed at these moths!! WOW

we only get the common ones that Archie keeps trying to eat :rolleyes:

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
again, I love those peonies! I wonder if I could grow them this far north?
We have Luna moths up here too, aren't they just beautiful creatures!? Some of them are actually really big!
And that bearded iris is neat... a very fitting name!! :laughing:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I love those moths! I have never seen any here. :sad: At least not the Luna moths. Pretty sure I have seen the Polyphemus moths though. Very neat. And of course the flowers are gorgeous! :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I really love to see the polyphemus moths--the dark spots on the wings are actually clear windows--in the last shot you're seeing the green from the door behind. And the underside of the wing looks so much like old oak leaves that if it lands on the mulch pile, it blends in perfectly! Really cool moth!!! :lovestruck:

mollywog, from what I've heard, peonies need a cold winter. If their roots aren't chilled for a month or two, they don't bloom. My sis in TX can't grow them at all cuz it's too warm in winter down there. So maybe they'd grow for you! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
June 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
again, I love those peonies! I wonder if I could grow them this far north?
We have Luna moths up here too, aren't they just beautiful creatures!? Some of them are actually really big!
And that bearded iris is neat... a very fitting name!! :laughing:

Hi
I'm in Kap and in zone 2 and I grow peonies...not the trees though. So u should be able to.

Debbie

Dee-O-Gee
June 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
The Luna Moth is very interesting--stunning colors. I've never seen them around my neck of the woods. :shrug:

Bearded Iris' are such a beautiful bloom--too bad my are all spent now along with the peonies. :sad:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
My peonies are about done now, too, klm. And I've never been successful with irises :shrug: All I have to do is get within 6 feet of any iris I plant and it succumbs from some fungus or disease or other. Very sad :sad: So I have to go next door and enjoy theirs. :D

Dee-O-Gee
June 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Have you tried planting the Rhizome slightly underground leaving some of it partly exposed?

I just cut all the leaves right down to nothing on mine and am digging a big clump of them up in the fall--just too many and they've over crowded my space. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Actually leaving some of it showing? :o Nope...I've planted shallow, but not exposed. :shrug: Maybe that's what I was doing wrong.

Winston
June 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
yep Hazel mine are slightly exposed and they are pretty nice :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I should check next door and see how their irises are planted....

The irises are basically ignored over there and they're thriving! They have a huge, crowded patch of the yellow ones and never have any problems.

hazel, on the other hand, can't keep even one bearded iris healthy :rolleyes:

Siberian iris is a totally different matter, though--I had one when we were in EC and it did really well :cloud9:

Dee-O-Gee
June 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
When some of the tuber is slightly exposed--it looks like a bunch of yams. :D:D

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yams are delish! :p