Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The hummingbird garden and the well garden at Hazel Run

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Hazel Run Mama is working on the well garden--next year it might have more blooms :fingerscr
There were a few things in it this year so far, though:

Jonquils

Hybrid lupine

Mystery plant
...if anyone knows what this one is, please let me know! :o
The buds look like balloon flower buds and the leaves are so deeply notches as to look almost lacy.

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Now we move a few yards south to the hummingbird garden...

the dragonfly birdbatch

the 'baby' bleeding heart is blooming already this year

I brought Dad's St Francis statue home
~he now watches over the Hazel Run Mama's hummingbird garden~
you can see the bleeding heart between St Francis and the birdbath :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM
eventually, there will be Day Lilies and Phlox blooming in the hummingbird garden
but right now the impatiens and the columbine are adding some additional color...

...and the hummingbirds add more flashes of color and constant activity

finis :D

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Your Jonquils & Columbine are so pretty :cloud9: beautiful garden :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ah, the magic of creative editing. If I show individual flowers or small sections of the gardens, you can't see the weeds taking over the rest! :laughing:

Tundra_Queen
June 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hazel just beautiful! I love the statue too.

I think the mystery plant might be lavertera. The blooms look like it anyways. I grew both the pink and the white ones. But they are just annuals here.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 03:40 AM
They might be annuals here, too, TQ, and just reseed. At least, they seem to be coming up in slightly different spots each year :shrug:

The one here looks very similar in flower to the 'White Angel' variety, but the leaves are all wrong. In the pic I posted, you can see the leaves peeking out over the top and at the lower right of the blossom--see how notched they are? The pics I could find online show a much broader leaf... But I couldn't download all the pics, either :o

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have some of that mystery flower too Hazel! Not quite sure what it is, but I am suspecting it is Malva moschata which has different leaf shape than Malva sylvestris. I have some sylvestris growing, in cultivars of Mystic Merlin, Braveheart and Zebrina. They haven't flowered yet but would be glad to share seeds! Also have the common pink version that pops up wild here everywhere.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Malva/alba.php

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM
what a beautiful garden! the statue is a nice way to remember your dad by. and 3 hummingbirds at once!! :eek: amazing! I just put my hummingbird feeder out a couple days ago and it doesn't seem to have any activity yet- any suggestions??

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hazel,your pictures are absolutely beautiful:thumbs up
OMG,I thought you said you were not able to grow anything:confused:

breeze
June 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I don't know very much about plants or there names, but I love looking at them with all the colors and different kinds.

:lovestruck::thumbs up

Mat&Murph
June 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Ohhh wow Hazel, Beautiful garden!!!! Where do you find the time???!!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the nice compliments :o It's embarrassing because I put so little effort into the gardens...

I thought St Francis would look good in there, mollywog, and he certainly does seem to feel at home! And everytime I look out into the garden, I'm reminded of Dad.

3 hummingbirds at once!! :eek: amazing! I just put my hummingbird feeder out a couple days ago and it doesn't seem to have any activity yet- any suggestions??

I have mine hanging from a shepherd's hook under a pine tree. They seem to like the shade. The edge of the woods is about 50 feet to the south. There's a huge spruce to the NE of the hummingbird garden that they nest in. Right now I have 3 feeders out--2 of them hold 28 oz of nectar, the third is an 8-ouncer. I'll have to fill all three again by the evening. :eek:

We get lots of birds--there are at least 40 that I'm sure come to the feeders...and I'm probably underestimating. I haven't seen any young of the year, yet...though I'm expecting to any day now. Then the fun starts! Migration is gonna keep hazel hopping this year! :eek:

But I have no idea why we get so many :shrug: It just seems like the ideal place. :o

Hazel,your pictures are absolutely beautiful:thumbs up
OMG,I thought you said you were not able to grow anything:confused:

Two points to remember--if I tried to grow this stuff, it would all die. :o And remember that madame hazel is the queen of creative editing. I crop out the parts of the garden that are overrun with weeds or dying under a deadly coat of mildew! :laughing:

Actually, I've been having pretty good luck with perennials that can take care of themselves...I figure if they sprout up there, they must like it there and I leave them where they are. It's an arrangement that both I and the flowers can live with! :thumbs up The only thing I plant every year is impatiens, and as long as you give it lots of water, impatiens is pretty fool proof. :D

I have some of that mystery flower too Hazel! Not quite sure what it is, but I am suspecting it is Malva moschata which has different leaf shape than Malva sylvestris. I have some sylvestris growing, in cultivars of Mystic Merlin, Braveheart and Zebrina. They haven't flowered yet but would be glad to share seeds! Also have the common pink version that pops up wild here everywhere.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Malva/alba.php

I'll have to check them out! Not sure if I'd know how to collect the seed on these--so far I've only found two plants...down from about a dozen last year. :sad: But if I can find more blooming up in the wild area (there were some there last year that bloomed a little later), I'll attempt it if you can PM me instructions. :D

Ohhh wow Hazel, Beautiful garden!!!! Where do you find the time???!!

I don't. :o All my time is spent making hummingbird nectar! :laughing: So the garden takes care of itself :thumbs up don't ask about weeds :laugh:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The link finally opened up, Ceara! I think you've nailed it! Looks exactly like the pic and description of Malva moschata :thumbs up

:thankyou:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Very very pretty hazel. I think you've been holding out on us!

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm glad I could help!

The seeds are in a circle in the dried papery pod, similar to how a Hollyhock sets seeds. So when you pry apart the yellow papery outer part, you can see the brownish seeds inside, formed in a ring all stuck together.

Also I read this morning that Malva may rebloom if you cut down the flowering stalk to the base after it finishes. But maybe not if it's been successful at maturing some seeds.

Plants are kinky things and all they think about is sex and making babies! :laughing: So some plants, if the immature seeds and dead flowers are removed, you can trick them to think they didn't do a proper job of breeding so they try again.

It doesn't work on all plants though. :sad: But I've tried with Lupins and it worked. Well actually I only intended to cut off the finished Lupin flower stalks last year because I didn't want cross bred Lupins popping up everywhere. To my surprise they rebloomed. Will try on the Malva this year and see what happens!