Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can someone recommend a good brush?

mybubbles65
June 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm looking for a good slicker brush for my cat that doesn't have those horrible stiff, sharp bristles. He's a DSH with very soft fur.

quincymycat
June 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I just bought a new brush last week and I love it. It is called the Furminator. I t has been around for a while I guess, I have seen it at Pet Valu for at least a year now, but because it was a bit on the high side price wise, I always ignored it.:D
I have long haired cats:cat::cat::cat: with an undercoat that runs from minimal to extremely heavy. 2 of my guys usually see a professional groomer at least 3-4 times a year just to get all the massive undercoat out. This brush was marketed as being very good for this, but it was still $40.00 on sale.
This week, because it was past one of the guy's usual grooming date, I decided to just suck it up and buy it, since it did have 30 day money back guarantee.
I was amazed and it takes alot to amaze me:eek:. The cats seemed to actually enjoy the grooming and the amount of hair it gets out was overwhelming.
I don't know what experience others have had with it, but I LOVE it and so do my cats.
Usually I would not say anything, but since you asked, this is my:2cents:

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Ever tried a regular comb? You can get alot of fur out with one and they're cheap ;).

A great brush is the Kong Zoom Groom (http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2750594) it's medium flexible rubber with rubber tips that massage as it brushes cats & dogs love it :cloud9:

quincymycat
June 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Growler, are the Kong brushes the ones that slip onto your hand and are made to look like a paw?:pawprint:
That kind I have used as well and they do a great job on my guys who don't have a lot of underhair, but not so well on the thick coated guys.
With the paw shaped one, I only had to take it out of the drawer and I had at least 2 following me around to get groomed.:D

Masha
June 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm looking for a good slicker brush for my cat that doesn't have those horrible stiff, sharp bristles. He's a DSH with very soft fur.

Those sharp bristles don't hurt them, its more like a 'massage' (unless someone goes very rough with it...). My guy LOVES to be brushed with the metal bristle brush.... the moment its out of the cupboard he runs to me and i can just hold the brush in place and he will rub all over it.
He even likes the dog's metal bristle brush which is a little thicker.

My parent's cat is the same, she aboslutely loves these brushes...

I am not sure why you think they are awful; did you try them and you cat hated them or do they just look scary to you?

If you haven't tried this brush i recommend you give it a try... all the cats my parents had have enjoyed this type of brush and my guy is my first cat and he loves it too.

kwilli
June 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
And i have one dog that tolerates the wiry bristles (of course she is blowing her coat right now!), One dog that likes it (but he likes everything and anything that involves attention to him) and two cats that LOVE it!:laughing: My kitties come running when the dogs are getting groomed so they can have some groom time too... domestic shorthairs.... purr storm!

lia12
June 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
You can get a nice soft plastic curry for horses, they work very well on dogs and cats and don't hurt or pull. I have lots of horse brushes for my dogs aside of their own dog brushes. They also have mane and tail combs that would work wonders.

growler~GateKeeper
June 30th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Growler, are the Kong brushes the ones that slip onto your hand and are made to look like a paw?:pawprint:
That kind I have used as well and they do a great job on my guys who don't have a lot of underhair, but not so well on the thick coated guys.
With the paw shaped one, I only had to take it out of the drawer and I had at least 2 following me around to get groomed.:D

Not sure about the slip-on paw print I haven't seen that one :shrug:

Here's pics for the Zoom Groom for cats & dogs
54188 54189

BeagleMum
June 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I just bought a new brush at the dollarama for my dogs and it is honestly the best brush I have ever had for them, I think I am going to go buy more just incase I ever lose this one (especially if they are only $1.25). It looks like this one:

TwinTails
July 2nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I just got a new brush today, and I have to say I love it! Even my fussy cats enjoy being brushed with it (Oliver is very sensitive when it comes to touching his back and rump, but even he enjoyed the brushing). It's called a Bamboo FurBuster brush. It's awesome (and has replacable brush parts, also can purchase a longer part for longer haired pets) :)

quincymycat
July 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Two comments....
First to Beagle Mom, I bought that same brush at Dollarama, but I use it to sweep away cat fur left on the cat tree and furniture. It is awsome for that.
second to Twin Tales, that is the same brush I was commenting on earlier in this thread - the Furminator, but mine was not bamboo. It is great for getting out the undercoat on long haired fur.

Collies_Rule!
July 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The Furminator!

I have a Rough Collie, a DSH tabby cat...and 3 rabbits!

That's a lot of hair...the furminator works wonders.

EndOfFashion
July 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Just wanted to add that I love the Furminator too! After brushing Charlie, our DSH, I've usually removed enough hair to create a fist-sized ball! (And that's with regular brushings a couple times a week).