Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pictures from my Garden

Tundra_Queen
June 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hi

Here are a few pics from my gardens. I haven't been doing much in it so far this year but I did snap a couple tonight, in between the black flies and mosquitoes. :D

I use to collect hostas so I have over 70 different varieties. But I have run outta room as my property is very tiny.

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
June 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
some more pic

One is a hosta Montana Aureo marginata, then the yellow irises and the Dantes rockets and our tiny pond that my son and I built about 9 years ago. We had a peeper frog in there for almost two weeks but he didn't find a girl friend so I guess he went back to the bay. :laughing: Poor little guy I felt so bad for him. Singing his little self horse every night for 12 hours. :laughing:

Debbie

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I love yellow roses! :cloud9: Yours is absolutely beautiful! All mine end up fuzzy and withered.... :o hazel and roses don't mix.

Your hostas are lovely, too. It amazes me how many varieties there are!

CearaQC
June 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
The Hostas and Rose are really pretty!

Hazel are your fuzzies from mold, mildew, fungus? You can make anti-fungal spray that should be safe around your doggies. Take some agricultural lime, mix with water in a pure copper vessel of some sort, and let it turn green. Not sure how long that takes, but then you dilute it with lots of water and spray that on your plants. It's called Bordeaux mixture.

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Pretty sure is some sort of a mildew, Ceara. :shrug: I'm not good with plants. :o

Interesting about the copper--we have lots of it in our aquifer--enough that the water comes out of the ground with unsafe levels of it. We have to filter it out if the drinking and cooking water. So I don't think I'd need a copper vessel. :D I'll have to try that Bordeaux mix on the mildew that the black-eyed susans get. If it works, maybe I'll try roses again. :o

Thanks for the tip!

(sorry about the hijack, TQ! :o)

chico2
June 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Very pretty TQ,I love Hostas,your rose is beautiful as are the Yellow Irises:cat:

14+kitties
June 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Love the different varieties of Hostas. It's amazing how many there really are. Beautiful!! And the rest are very nice too. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
June 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone!:) I belong to a hosta forum...I use to buy a lot but umm my hostas are now so big they are swallowing my tiny property. I told hubs we need to move out tot he country...there is a house for sale with 150 acres. :laughing: I told him that we could take in lots of kitties there too! Umm I don't think he is too eager. :laughing: We could have bears, lynx, wolves and other critters too. :D But he's not impressed. *L*

The yellow rose is called Hazeldean ( Hazel, this would be a perfect one for you. *G*) and it just blooms once a year. It eats people that walk by it too close too. And it hardy to zone 1!

Hazel, I don't mind U going off subject. I'm use to chatting in chat rooms where we talk about everything...all at once. :laughing: I didn't know that about copper. I knew about the baking soda in water with a bit of soap for black spot.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You could fit a lot of hostas on 150 acres. :D

Hazeldean, eh? Sounds like it was meant to be! :thumbs up I think we're zone 3, so I need something hardy...and the name calls out to me! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
June 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
WOW! 70 different hostas--go figure! A neighbor gave me a couple clumps a few years ago and now they have filled in the spot I wanted them to just perfect. Nice ground cover. :)

I too love the yellow rose and also think that Madame Hazel should look into getting one for herself. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
June 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM
You could fit a lot of hostas on 150 acres. :D

Hazeldean, eh? Sounds like it was meant to be! :thumbs up I think we're zone 3, so I need something hardy...and the name calls out to me! :laughing:

Hazel....hazeldean is very friendly. It will grab u are u walk by cause it has tons of thorns! It wants to be friends. :laughing:

Could u imagine all the kitties I could house on 150 acreas? *G*

WOW! 70 different hostas--go figure! A neighbor gave me a couple clumps a few years ago and now they have filled in the spot I wanted them to just perfect. Nice ground cover. :)

I too love the yellow rose and also think that Madame Hazel should look into getting one for herself. :thumbs up

Actually there are over 4000 different hostas, though some look alike. :D

Debbie

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 03:16 AM
4000 kinds of hostas!!! :eek: Holy catz!!! That's amazing!

And it's okay if the Hazeldean Rose is thorny...madame hazel also tends to be a rather thorny broad on most days! :laughing:

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Well if you ever need to find homes for baby Hostas, they can come live here! I have a shady border that has nothing in it but ground cover. :laughing:

I saw a killer Hosta from BBC tv coverage of this year's Chelsea Flower Show. There was a show garden there called Leeds City Council's HESCO Garden, and they had what looked like a technicolor Hosta! It looks like bright orange inside green. Maybe you can spot it in this picture I nabbed from the net. (It's near the path under some purple flowers.)

Tundra_Queen
June 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
4000 kinds of hostas!!! :eek: Holy catz!!! That's amazing!

And it's okay if the Hazeldean Rose is thorny...madame hazel also tends to be a rather thorny broad on most days! :laughing:

:laughing: Well if that is true, though I don't believe it, u will get along very well with Hazeldean :D

Well if you ever need to find homes for baby Hostas, they can come live here! I have a shady border that has nothing in it but ground cover. :laughing:

I actually have alot of my hostas living in southern exposures and the do fine. Our sun up here is probably not as strong as sun in Southern Ontario. Hostas that get more sun just need more water.

I saw a killer Hosta from BBC tv coverage of this year's Chelsea Flower Show. There was a show garden there called Leeds City Council's HESCO Garden, and they had what looked like a technicolor Hosta! It looks like bright orange inside green. Maybe you can spot it in this picture I nabbed from the net. (It's near the path under some purple flowers.)

I can't really see the hosta, but I know there are hostas that the breeders are trying to breed more colours into. Like I know there are quite a few with a bit of red going thru them.

Debbie :)

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 05:50 PM
You ought to post a few more pics of the hosta varieties, TQ. I've only go the old-fashioned green-leaves-with-white-edges type... I've been thinking of adding a few more varieties, but I don't really know where to start or what would do well in sandy soil. And do they all do better in shade? Are there any sun-loving varieties?

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I can't really see the hosta, but I know there are hostas that the breeders are trying to breed more colours into. Like I know there are quite a few with a bit of red going thru them.

Debbie :)

Yes sorry about that. It was the best photo I could find. The tv coverage they had of it was better and more up close.

Now a hosta with red, THAT will be something to look forward to! I do see some photos online where red really comes through on the leaf stems.

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2009, 04:36 AM
I have a hosta called Cherry Berry and the stems that the flowers grow on are red.

If u want to check out this link u can see tons of hostas. It is the hosta library.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Debbie

chico2
July 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
So girls,what kind is this???
The leafs are a bluish-green,huge leaves..it looks a little messy,because of the rain.

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Looks like a green/blue hosta to me. :laughing::laughing:

I am not good a IDing green hostas. How big does the plant get? How big do the leaves get? What colour are the flowers? Are they fragrant? Does it set seeds or is it sterile? Are the leaves smooth or are they very bumpy? How many veins are they on the leaves?

So like I said it's a blue green hosta LOL

Debbie

chico2
July 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
It's ok TQ,I'll stick with a blue/green Hosta,don't really need to know it's name:laughing:

Tundra_Queen
July 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
:laughing: Now how did I know u might say that? :laughing::laughing:

U could always check out the link to the hosta library. But we might not see ya again for a few weeks if u go there...cause they are tons of pics to go thru. :D

Debbie

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
I stopped off at a friend's garden last week and found this one, too--I'm hoping she'll share it with her closest friend :o :laughing:

Likely I don't qualify :rolleyes: but if I twist her arm, I might be able to convince her to divide it and send some of it my way :D

chico2
July 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hazel,if you lived closer I would give you some just like it,mine are getting way too big.

14+kitties
July 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hazel,if you lived closer I would give you some just like it,mine are getting way too big.

chico - you could let it go to seed and send hazel some seeds. 'Course she would have to wait a few years to get a hosta big enough to survive the winters. :)

Winston
July 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
14+ do you think the root would survive if you sent it by mail? I have a few different ones too! I could send you some Hazel!!

TQ if you have a hosta that has red flowers I have to see it! and would love to have some!!

Cearaqc is the hosta that your speaking of the one with the orangey color? that is cool! would love that too!

Tundra_Queen
July 3rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
I stopped off at a friend's garden last week and found this one, too--I'm hoping she'll share it with her closest friend :o :laughing:

Likely I don't qualify :rolleyes: but if I twist her arm, I might be able to convince her to divide it and send some of it my way :D

That sort of looks like it could be Francis Williams. Another thing about hostas is that they can look different depending on how much light they get. Same plant, but different light, different looking plant. They are like mutants. :laughing:

chico - you could let it go to seed and send hazel some seeds. 'Course she would have to wait a few years to get a hosta big enough to survive the winters. :)

there are only a couple of hostas that come true from seeds. Most of them that are grown from seeds, unless u are hybridizing them, come out green. But they never look like the parent plant unfortunately.

14+ do you think the root would survive if you sent it by mail? I have a few different ones too! I could send you some Hazel!!

TQ if you have a hosta that has red flowers I have to see it! and would love to have some!!

Cearaqc is the hosta that your speaking of the one with the orangey color? that is cool! would love that too!

Not red flowers, just the stalk that the flowers grow on is red.

My hostas take so long to get big because our season is so short. They get about 2 months up here to grow and then frost starts again. I do give them alfalfa meal or plant with alfalfa and that helps them grow faster,,,but not as fast as down south....and when we northerners say down south...we don't mean Florida...we mean Toronto! I kid u not! :laughing::laughing:

I attached a pic of my Francis Williams. I tried to find a pic of my Cherry Berry from last year showing the flower stalks, but I couldn't find one.

Debbie

chico2
July 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
It does look something like these 2 I have in the front:confused:It's yellower than what shows and the leaves are now larger..then again,maybe not..LOL

14+kitties
July 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
chico - It is possible your hosta is a Blue Angel. The leaf shape is about the same. See what you think.
http://www.gilberthwild.com/images/Hosta%20Blue%20Angel---.JPG
I have one very similar to yours which I grew from seed. Took about 3 years to get it to the point where it was large enough to plant out but it's a nice hosta.

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM
hazel doesn't have a lot of luck with seeds :o Not sure if the roots would survive a mailing, Winston. :shrug: Has anyone ever tried that?

It sure does look similar to the Francis Williams, TQ! I managed to twist my friend's arm today, though--she's going to divide and move it this fall and she's gonna save me some :thumbs up

Now...if I can only find room for it somewhere away from the deer :D

chico2
July 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
14+,Blue Angel it is for sure,thank's !!
It's getting bigger every year and every year I say I have to split it,I will next spring.
I have to split a lot of things,maybe they can all find a home in your huge acreage..
I find growing from seeds is very challenging,but my Phlox-seeds are coming along,as well as my little "egg"-plant you gave me:thumbs up
The biggest problem this year seems to be bugs:yell:

clm
July 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
It's getting bigger every year and every year I say I have to split it,I will next spring.
I have to split a lot of things,maybe they can all find a home in your huge acreage..
I find growing from seeds is very challenging,but my Phlox-seeds are coming along,as well as my little "egg"-plant you gave me:thumbs up

What an amazing bunch of hostas everyone has. They are the most amazing plants. If you can, get yourselves to Humber Nurseries to see how many varieties they have. It's mind boggling. Then set yourself the task of picking just one to buy. :laughing:
Chico2, the bugs are brutal this year. Lots of rain and an apparent shortage of lady bugs this year because of the long cold winter. Aphids were just taking over my roses for most of the spring but DH found loads of ladybugs this past week feasting on the nasty little critters. There's hope yet.

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
July 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
It does look something like these 2 I have in the front:confused:It's yellower than what shows and the leaves are now larger..then again,maybe not..LOL

chico - It is possible your hosta is a Blue Angel. The leaf shape is about the same. See what you think.
http://www.gilberthwild.com/images/Hosta%20Blue%20Angel---.JPG
I have one very similar to yours which I grew from seed. Took about 3 years to get it to the point where it was large enough to plant out but it's a nice hosta.

No I'm sorry it's not Blue Angel. Blue Angel is bluish green, if kept in shade. The leaves are much rounder in shape, not pointed like this one. And has what is called "bloom" on top of the leaves. Which is like a whitish coating. You don't wanter the top of the leaves either cause it will wash the bloom off and the leaves will then turn blue. The more shade the bluer it will stay.

No, it's not Blue Angel..sorry. Blue Angel also has no white edges.

Here is a link to Blue Angel, a bit of a description and pictures. The leaves sort of droupe down a bit too.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/b.html

hazel, I use to trade hostas with other hostaphiles :D But plants can't cross the border. Hostas can actually survive quite a few days if they go thru the mail.

You dig a piece out leaves and roots...knock the dirt off, soak it for a little while, wrap the roots in wet paper towels, then a baggie so nothing drips..put in a box and gently bend the leaves...pack newspaper around and over it, and mail.

When u get the hosta soak it in water, just the roots :D for a few hours while u find a place to plant it and keep it watered for a couple of days and there ya go.

Debbie

chico2
July 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
So,we are back to a Blueis/greenish Hosta,oh well!
Here are a few more pics,it's larger than what the pics show,I love it.
It gets half-day sun..

Tundra_Queen
July 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Chico, it could be Blue Angel, or Elegans. They are both big hostas. Yours does look like it has some bloom on it's leaves. Did it have more of the white coating in the spring time? It is a beautiful hosta and I bet the cats love hiding under it, especially when it is hot outside. *S*

Debbie

kwilli
July 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I feel inspired to go out and buy my hostas! this thread has been great...
i have a tonne of shady areas... planted some seedum but i need coverage and i do love hostas.
i chickened out purchasing them this weekend... but maybe later this week.
and now I know where to come for advice :D

Tundra_Queen
July 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I feel inspired to go out and buy my hostas! this thread has been great...
i have a tonne of shady areas... planted some seedum but i need coverage and i do love hostas.
i chickened out purchasing them this weekend... but maybe later this week.
and now I know where to come for advice :D

Hostas do need some light to grow, but I love them cause there are so many different kinds, ones that have fragrant blooms too.

I'll send u a PM.

Debbie