Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to avoid rabies vaccine for Can-USA travel

BabyJessy
June 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
With all the new information about the rabies vaccine being longer lasting than previously thought, I was wondering if there is a way any of you have found to avoid getting the booster shot that is normally a requirement for Canada-USA border crossings? Her 3-year certificate has expired but I don't want to vaccinate my dog who has been through enough this year already...

Love4himies
June 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
You will risk not being able to bring your pet back into Canada unless you have a letter from your vet stating why you can't have your pet vaccinated for rabies. I have been asked for my cat's papers everytime I have crossed the border.

maneater
June 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I live on a border city and I have to have my dogs papers every time I cross the border. When i got my nexus card the border officer actually handed me a booklet that pertained to what can be brought into the country and what can't be.

All pets must be accompanied by their owners when entering Canada. Owners of dogs and cats must bring a certificate issued by a licensed American or Canadian veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies sometime during the previous 36 months. An exception is made for puppies or kittens that are younger than three months old.;For information on pets, agriculture or forestry items, please contact any one of the following Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Import Service Centres:

Note: Toll-free numbers apply within Canada and the United States only.
Eastern ISC (Montreal) Tel: 1-888-246-3889 or (514) 246-3889 Fax: (514) 246-2664 (7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern time)
Central ISC (Toronto)Tel: 1-800-835-4486 or (905) 612-6282 Fax: (905) 612-6280 (7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Eastern time)
Western ISC - Tel: 1-888-732-6222 or (604) 541-3370 Fax: (604) 541-3373 (7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific time) You may also reach the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at
http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca

growler~GateKeeper
June 28th, 2009, 02:54 AM
With all the new information about the rabies vaccine being longer lasting than previously thought, I was wondering if there is a way any of you have found to avoid getting the booster shot that is normally a requirement for Canada-USA border crossings? Her 3-year certificate has expired but I don't want to vaccinate my dog who has been through enough this year already...

You can have your vet run a Rabies Titre test, this will show if the antibody levels are still adequate for protection against the virus. Then have your vet write a letter stating the findings in the test and include that with a copy of the test results.

BabyJessy
June 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks! I will ask my holistic vet about a titre test and the letter. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
June 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
You can have your vet run a Rabies Titre test, this will show if the antibody levels are still adequate for protection against the virus. Then have your vet write a letter stating the findings in the test and include that with a copy of the test results.

Although people including Dr. Dodds don't suggest this route as if anything happens and your dog gets in a fight or were to bite a person the law likely won't take a titre as adequate protection. It's been brought up in some of her seminars.

I titre distemper and parvo. I don't risk rabies on a titre as it's the only one that is required by law.

BabyJessy
July 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
She's a little fat Pom. She doesn't get into fights - she doesn't get the opportunity! I am not worried about her getting rabies. I just wanted to find a way to satisfy the law's uneducated desire for proof of rabies immunity (uneducated because scientific research has proven the vaccine to be good for 7 years but the law is not up on the latest science). I will do the titer test and the letter and that should be accepted if anyone asks. So far only one official has asked to see her papers in about 30 border crossings. At the very worst, I read that if they are not satisfied, I would have to promise to vaccinate her within a certain amount of time and send them proof to close the case.