Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hypersensitivity of my tortured dog.

dullmau
June 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi ,

my dog needs help. I've taken care of a little feral dog recently. One of its eye was broken, several canines lost, but among all his problems, his reaction and behavior is very strange that I feel that it must be badly tortured before.

When i brushed its fur, he was scared to poo.... (dropped a few on the floor)
when it bit a wrong thing, I stepped on the floor and made a sharp noise, he was so scared to pee.....

his behavior seems to suggest that it must be raised by someone else before. It knows that it's not allowed to poo, pee and mark in the house. It never shows resistance to a dog collar. The dog is just over scary of human beings.

my friends said i need to "talk" to it and let him feel warm in my home. I made a dog cage for it. I talked to him regularly..... it didn't work. And i let it sleep on my bed, and gave it body massage...it didn't work too. I've heard that a dog is happy with snack, so i bought some for it. It also got a lot of chances to go outside for running (3-4 times / week if not raining) .
Nothing changed much to it.

Then i tried to teach him to know i'm its "exclusive food source". I put it on hunger for three days, only water, milk and vitamins was provided. This time , it worked so well. When the dog saw me, it knew i would give it small snack, and it didn't fear me as before. But after the "hunger strike programme" was finished and it got its food regularly, he was back to be hypertensive to me again.

What's worse is that , when we went outside for a walk, it had a track record of fleeing. I thought that'd be fine if it never came back, but no, every time it flees, it will come back a few days later. I worry about potential virus and bacteria brought alone with it, so it is not allowed to go outside without a collar now.

It's been two months since I adopted it (or 4 months as I fed it when it was feral ). I've started wondering if it enjoys being feral more than being raised up in a house.

If you took a dog like that, what would you do?
how would you train it?
Is it humane to let it be a feral dog again?

Frenchy
June 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Why do you keep referring at the dog as "it" , it's not a thing , it's a dog !!!

and as he ran away , you wished he didn't come back ? And not give this dog food for 3 days !!!! wow , that is just freaking cruel ! why do you have a dog again ?

This dog needs time and patience , positive reinforcement. You really don't seem like you can help this dog. Please call rescues and see if one can take him. He needs someone with experience. The way you're "working" with him , is only making it worse for this dog.

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think the OP might be in a place where rescues are probably not available,where feral dogs are the norm.
He probably behaves like a feral cat would:confused:
Been shooed away from places,maybe even kicked and abused:sad:
I think with lots of love,care and positive reinforcement this pup will come around.
Where are you living???and please don't call the pup an"it"did you not give him/her a name??

shabess
June 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Before you do anything I highly suggest you think very carefully on whether you want to keep 'it'. If you do, then it's going to take 24/7 care and there are ways of doing it but it takes total dedication. It's probably been feral most of it's life and has no idea what a home is and been chased away by everyone it's come across. Think very carefully before you go any further and if you should decide to keep it, give it a name and let us know and we'll help you every way we can.

dullmau
June 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
this dog got a name "piggie", and he knew his name well. I felt headache with him all the time. He's as hypersenitive as Frenchy here :laughing: , and seems to feel nowhere in the world is safe. After 4 months we knew each other and 2 months he has lived in my house, his psycology hasn't been improved much. Always scary and hypersenitive. That's why i think he must be poorly tortured, poorly bought up and finally abandoned by his human parents. This applies to humans too.

Rescue isn't a solution if you agree this dog won't be adopted by anyone else. (one broken eye, a broken leg, loss of several teeth, dry coat and skinny body). What's waiting there for him is euthanasia. Calling "it" or "he" doesn't help too. We call a baby with a pronoun "it" and it doesn't mean you're going to torture "it". What's needed is to deal with his hypersensitivity and lack of the sense of security.

Anyway, thanks for all contributions. I think i better go on my way now. I'll keep him one more month and see if there'll be any changes. If being feral is what he feels comfortable, i will let him go feral again. What's hard for me is that there's a dog clearance team working in my place to prevent feral dogs cruising near the region---their tool is a wooden club and the solution is to execute them once catched. It's a hard choice.

luckypenny
June 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
In what region are you located dullmau?

If you're going to give it another month, I suggest you make the best of it and re-condition/de-sensitize him to the objects of his fear (including humans).

Several recommendations:

1. Begin with umbilical training. Attach him to you by tying approximately 6 foot of lead around yourself. I just tie it to the belt loop of my jeans. Keep him on this at all times and, when you can't, crate him for short periods (always leave something pleasant in the crate so he'll learn to associate it with something positive eg, a raw meaty bone, a stuffed Kong, a toy he enjoys, etc and only allow him to have it when he is crated). Please, don't ever let a fearful/anxious dog off-leash at any time unless in a securely fenced area.

2. Hand feed him his meals as often as possible and let others drop yummy treats near him as well when passing by.

3. Has he been seen by a vet yet? With his past injuries, he can be in pain and may need some meds to help ease it.

4. If his health clears, you may want to consider anti-anxiety meds for a little while until he's better. There's clomipramine hydrochloride, fluoxetine, and amitriptyline to name a few. It can take up to 4-6 to see any changes. There may also be brief periods of increased levels of anxiety but they only last a day or two until a dog adjusts to the meds/dosage. Medication alone will not 'cure' a dog with anxiety/fear issues but needs to used in cunjunction with de-sensitizing exercises.

There's no set amount of time that any one can say he'll be "cured" but, with patience, commitment, consistency and a complete positive approach to training, you should be able to see some changes in a short time.

Please don't allow him to become feral again. He won't be better off, you know that or you wouldn't be trying to seek help as you are now.

Good luck.

chico2
June 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
dullmau,not to snoop,but where are you living,where they beat dogs with sticks??? China???

dullmau
June 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
In what region are you located dullmau?

If you're going to give it another month, I suggest you make the best of it and re-condition/de-sensitize him to the objects of his fear (including humans).

Several recommendations:

1. Begin with umbilical training. Attach him to you by tying approximately 6 foot of lead around yourself. I just tie it to the belt loop of my jeans. Keep him on this at all times and, when you can't, crate him for short periods (always leave something pleasant in the crate so he'll learn to associate it with something positive eg, a raw meaty bone, a stuffed Kong, a toy he enjoys, etc and only allow him to have it when he is crated). Please, don't ever let a fearful/anxious dog off-leash at any time unless in a securely fenced area.

2. Hand feed him his meals as often as possible and let others drop yummy treats near him as well when passing by.

3. Has he been seen by a vet yet? With his past injuries, he can be in pain and may need some meds to help ease it.

4. If his health clears, you may want to consider anti-anxiety meds for a little while until he's better. There's clomipramine hydrochloride, fluoxetine, and amitriptyline to name a few. It can take up to 4-6 to see any changes. There may also be brief periods of increased levels of anxiety but they only last a day or two until a dog adjusts to the meds/dosage. Medication alone will not 'cure' a dog with anxiety/fear issues but needs to used in cunjunction with de-sensitizing exercises.

There's no set amount of time that any one can say he'll be "cured" but, with patience, commitment, consistency and a complete positive approach to training, you should be able to see some changes in a short time.

Please don't allow him to become feral again. He won't be better off, you know that or you wouldn't be trying to seek help as you are now.

Good luck.

Penny, this is very useful and I'll give a try tomorrow.

I've taken him to a vet already. The freshly broken leg is fixed. Although he can't walk very smoothly, the problem isn't obvious and he can go running with me for 10 kilometers recently. He's been vaccinated (the last shot isn't finished yet) and dewormed. My vet said he's fine, and i made several tests on him according to A Dummy Guide for Dogs and i believed he's okay too.

The unknown issue is with his... tool. :dog: His testicles look strangely black-colored and weird. My vet said it doesn't look like an infection, it's just strange. Would it be a cancer? we don't know. My vet is actually a vet for pigs and chicken. :yell:

Btw, do you know how to determine the dosage of the meds you mentioned? And how long should it be given to my dogs? If it isn't a prescribed medicine i think i'm going to give it to my dog right away.

And is there any solution for his loss of teeth and an eye?

dullmau
June 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
dullmau,not to snoop,but where are you living,where they beat dogs with sticks??? China???

oh they don't beat dogs with sticks, they simply kill them. You can see blood and brains on the ground when the clearance team is out for action. It's really scary even by a local standard.

Anyway, to keep the image of the place i live, i better avoid mentioning her name. :pray:

Mat&Murph
June 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
You have recieved good advice here and the poor Dog needs a loving soul. you will need tons of pateince. The scare of the poor guy will NOT go away over night. It could take Months!!! You have to show him you are trustworthy and caring person in his eyes and you will slowly gain his trust and respect.

luckypenny
June 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The medication can only be prescribed by your vet and is determined by your dog's weight. Usually dosage is low to begin and may increase in small increments. I don't know what it's like where you are but, here, I have our vet write the prescription and have it filled at a regular pharmacy for a fraction of the cost. As for the duration of his treatment, it all depends on the individual dog and how consistent you are with his de-sensitization exercises. As with humans, every case is unique.

It could take Months!!! You have to show him you are trustworthy and caring person in his eyes and you will slowly gain his trust and respect.

I completely agree with M&M. For every few steps forward, you both may experience one backward. Only your provision of positive learning experiences can have an influence on how quick his recovery will be.

If you're concerned about his testicles, there's always the option of having him neutered.

I don't understand your question about his teeth and his eye. Is he not able to chew? And his eye? What exactly is wrong with it?

dullmau
June 29th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I don't understand your question about his teeth and his eye. Is he not able to chew? And his eye? What exactly is wrong with it?

Thanks penny!

He lost two canines, a few incisors and molars. He can eat but seldom chew well. I hardly hear crunchy sound when he's eating dry food. Bad breath comes from his mouth all the time, possibly due to a digestion difficulty. Now all dry food is soaked in water for 5 mins before he takes it. Is it possible to implant an artificial teeth for a dog? would it be very expensive?

And one of his eyes has a serious trauma. The eyeball is ruptured and collapsed with hyphema , possibly resulted during a fight with other feral dogs. It's impossible to expect natural recovery but it would be nice to have an artificial eye for him. Is there anything like this? And again, would it be expensive to implant a non-functional artificial eye for a dog?

Mat&Murph
June 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Bad Breath could be sign of infection in his mouth, or mybe the rest of teeth have to come out. It definitly warrants a vet visit, as for fake teeth and fake eye, they are both expansive and he can live without both. I agree with LuckyPenny in haveing him neutered, as it will save him from health problems down the road.

Hope this helps

dullmau
June 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
thanks M&M,

I agree to take him neutralized but i want him to enjoy a complete sexual life at least for once. Last night, he met a pregnant dog and he was shaking, yelling, exciting, confusing, and i know he wanted it badly. He had a wet dream at night and it stinks badly! .

And what do u mean by "the rest of teeth have to come out"? you mean my adult dog will have a new teeth coming out again? I'm pretty sure there's no infection in his mouth so i guess it must be something else. My vet, which is good at chicken and pigs, isn't good at dogs....

kandy
June 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
From reading most of your posts, it sounds like this dog is very distrustful of humans (with good reason), and some of your methods may be reinforcing this distrust. Some of them, like the massage you mentioned in another thread, will do wonders to create a bond between you. You need to be patient and consistent in your training, but also gentle. Angry outbursts will just cause the dog to continue to be wary of you.

Mat&Murph
June 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Sometimes when there is infection in the mouth or gums or even the teeth, they rot. They can still eat and everything with their gums. No more teeth come out.

As for the other, Please Have him Neutered as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress enough how important it is considering health issues he may have. Dogs don't feel the same sexual urges we do and it is stricly instinct for them to reproduce. They need us to ensure that no more unwanted/ or Sick puppies come into a cruel world

kandy
June 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
thanks M&M,

I agree to take him neutralized but i want him to enjoy a complete sexual life at least for once. Last night, he met a pregnant dog and he was shaking, yelling, exciting, confusing, and i know he wanted it badly. He had a wet dream at night and it stinks badly! .

And what do u mean by "the rest of teeth have to come out"? you mean my adult dog will have a new teeth coming out again? I'm pretty sure there's no infection in his mouth so i guess it must be something else. My vet, which is good at chicken and pigs, isn't good at dogs....

Dogs don't need to experience sex - and allowing this could lead to more unwanted dogs in your community. The health risks increase the older the dog gets without being neutered. If this dog is an adult, he will not grow new teeth - dogs only have 2 sets (puppy teeth and adult teeth). You can adjust the dogs diet to allow him to eat comfortably. The bad breath could be caused from infection or from the food he is being fed.

dullmau
June 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
kandy, these future puppies aren't unwanted. I actually want him to have an intimate relation with my dog. both of them are toy breeds and my house has a room for all of them.

But i don't know what's wrong with him. He wanted it badly when my female dog had her first heat period, but he seemed too excited with this and wrongly put his little brother into her mouth....:laughing:

I've heard that it's no good to have babies too early, so i'm waiting for the next chance. (actually i didn't make research on breeding topic yet. Surely i will do it soon)

MommaKat
June 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM

From what you described, the area your in does not sound that great for dogs. How does breeding a dog with severe fear and social issues make sense to you? Aren't you worried about these issues being passed on to puppies?

After everything he's going through it just doesn't make sense to me why you would not get him neutered :shrug: .

dullmau
June 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
From what you described, the area your in does not sound that great for dogs. How does breeding a dog with severe fear and social issues make sense to you? Aren't you worried about these issues being passed on to puppies?

After everything he's going through it just doesn't make sense to me why you would not get him neutered :shrug: .

severe fear....and social issue? What are you talking about?:cry:

kara1
June 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
To me it sounds like where you live has an awful lot of strays or animals that need rescuing? There are an awful lot of people on this site that do rescue and care alot about animals that i'm sure if you let us know where you are that they could try doing something to help out you're neighbourhood and/or find some good homes for these animals:)

marko
June 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Please note, rudeness will not be tolerated.

Please note as well that although our forum is open to all, the vast vast vast majority of members are pro spay neuter. It says so multiple times in the rules.

If you wish to respond, please do so by Pming the admin, not in an open forum.

Marko
ADMIN