Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ocular prosthesis for dogs?

dullmau
June 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I've accidentally taken care of a pariah dog that walked around my house all the time. Among all its physical problems (broken leg, loss of teeth, extremely thin, messy coat), one of his eyes is broken and i think that's possibly the reason it was abandoned. As I might not be able to take care of him for longer terms, I want to fix this problem so as to get a new owner for him easier.

i guess visual prosthesis must be extremely expensive, I'm wondering if it is possible to implant an ocular prosthesis for a dog? Do you know how much is it ? Would there be any side-effect for a dog?

Thanks for any contributions.

kandy
June 29th, 2009, 11:06 AM
An ocular prothesis would be expensive and not all dogs are good candidates for one. It depends on the shape of the face and the condition of the eye socket. Your vet should be able to tell you if your dog is a good candidate. But the dogs eyelids would still have to sutured shut. The only difference in placing the prothesis would be in the appearance of the eyelid - the eyelid will sink if no prothesis is used. Your vet can refer you to a canine opthamalogist if they cannot handle the problem.