Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little, annoying problem :D

Nagini
June 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi there!

Ive been training my 8mo old female puppy and one thing I cant go around. Everytime I make her sit, she is very, very, very slow. Sometimes she has to take 2 steps backwards and then pull her backlegs forward and push her bum down.

She cant seem to just SIT! But I'm not blaming her, the problem is me not being able to message her what I am asking from her.

I just wonder how I can make her sit fast?

Winston
June 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
try using a small training treat and hold it to her nose but tightly between your fingers as you raise the treat upward she should sit almost automatically.

you can use the same method to get her to do a down but in this one you will put the treat out in front of her nose and pull your arm down to the ground and she will get the idea of going down to receive her treat.

make sure you give the treats at the right time and praise her like there is no tomorrow! she will get it! repeat repeat repeat! :thumbs up

what kind of pup do you have?

Bina
June 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I've found that some of the larger breeds at that age are just too gangly and awkward to do a nice, neat, quick sit.

TeriM
June 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I've found that some of the larger breeds at that age are just too gangly and awkward to do a nice, neat, quick sit.

I agree with this especially when they are indoors on a slippery floor. Riley took until the last while to do a nice quick sit and even now if he is on a slippery floor he is very slow and deliberate. He has a long back and even now prefers a down over sit.

Nagini
June 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
She is a presa canario, so a large breed yes.

To reply to Winston; she does know how to sit, it just isn't instant, it takes that 1-2 second.. :)

We do have somehow slippery floors, and not many carpets. But isnide, outside, on the grass, wherever we are she is pretty slow. It feels like there is something wrong in the sit-training part. I've tried training sit more with her so that it would be so fun to do sit-commands, but she is still pretty slow.

I found something on the google, that you should have a friend help you, and you walk with your dog and then tell it to sit, if it sits slow, the friend behind you will poke the dog with a sit-stick? And the dog will learn soon that if its too slow with sitting, it will get a poke from the stick...

I dont know if that is worth trying, doesnt sound too logical to me...

TeriM
June 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sit stick sounds like a very bad idea to me. Learning should be fun. I would think this is more a function of it being uncomfortable at this stage of growth. I would give it a few more months before getting to worked up about perfection but work toward it more with just rewarding the good sits and saying "too bad" when the sit is reluctant. My Riley also loves to tug so his sit has gotten nice and fast when the reward is to tug.

Bina
June 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
My Lab was always slow to sit. Some dogs are more laid back and mellow and slow.
But with my girl I'm sure it was her hips not being great.

Longblades
June 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Here is a tip our trainer suggested. Do you have another dog? A cat? SIT is not fast enough, treat the other one. Or eat it yourself, or pretend to. Worked great for us, I used one of the cats. We have slippery floors too so I made sure to only do this on secure carpets.

A HEELING STICK is a training tool I've just recently heard about but I don't think you need another person for it. I don't think you poke the dog either. My neighbour trains his field trialing Labs with one. As with any training method or tool, I for one would like to learn all about it before I'd go and use it. Or before I'd decide not to use it. From what I have read about them I'm way too unco-ordinated to try that myself. :D