Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog poos whenever I am not in the house

Rheves
June 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I work from home so my dog is used to me being there almost all the time, but whenever I leave in the evenings and she has not already pood she will do so if I leave for any length of time at all.

When I come home and discover this she is usually keeping her head low so she knows she has done something wrong, and I drag her to over to it and yell NO but she continues to do it regardless.

I always put her out before I leave but she just sits at the door looking in and not going out in the yard no matter how long I leave her there.

I don't know how to stop her from doing this, can anyone help?

luckypenny
June 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a touch of separation anxiety to me. Is this the only time she poops in the house, while you're gone? She seems to know the cues that you'll be leaving soon, especially if she's sitting at the door while you're getting ready. How about mixing up the cues a bit and going out with her? Perhaps a nice long walk with her (when she does have a bowel movement outdoors, don't forget to praise her). And you can leave her with a stuffed Kong or something 'fun' to do while you're away.

What's really important to understand is that your dog does not know she's done something wrong if she poops in the house. What she has learned however, is to negatively associate her stool (the object, not the action) with you getting angry. Punishing your dog after the fact for any unwanted behavior does nothing to change it (obviously since your punishments aren't working, right?), other than to teach her to fear you. If you do catch her in the act however, give a simple "uh uh" to interrupt her and take her out immediately. Wait until she finishes and reward her so she knows she's going in the right place.

In addition, you can practice leaving for variable amounts of time during the day. Start with a minute or two, build it up by a minute or so each time. It's important to ignore your dog upon leaving and re-entering. You can also get your shoes on, pick up your keys, then make yourself a coffee or sit down in front of the tv. Mix up the cues frequently so her anxiety doesn't build and she'll learn to not associate them with your leaving.

TeriM
June 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I totally agree with Luckypenny :thumbs up.

dullmau
June 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
did you try cage training?

i take them for poo 60 mins after their meal. Then they will go back to their cage. No drinks and food anymore until i got back.

But i got a lot of time to go with them so their time in a cage at day is not really long. At least i'm often just next to them.

if you're not always at home, why don't you set up a dog toilet for it?

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I would also suggest,instead of just letting her out in the yard,take her for a walk before you leave,I am sure she'll poop then and not need to poop on the floor.:dog:

Rheves
June 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'll be sure to try that luckypenny.

I don't want to try cage training as this is not actually my dog, her owner is working out west for a few months (Got the call soon after getting her, good timing bud >_<) and he wasn't going to do that.

I'll try the walk thing when I can but I need to be able to leave without doing that too.

kandy
June 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
By yelling at her after the fact, you are teaching her to not let you see her poop so it may take a while before she'll poop for you outside.

Her putting her head down is a calming gesture - she knows you are mad and is trying to keep you from directing your anger at her. Dogs don't feel guilt in the human sense.

If you want her to go potty in your yard, you could take the poop outside to the spot you want her to use. Then take her to that spot every time you want her to potty - smelling her own waste there might encourage her to use that spot. Patience, consistency and reward will create positive associations for her. I'd confine her to a small space when you leave that will make it easy to clean up any accidents. If you find an accident when you return, clean it up without reacting. You should only react if you actually catch her in the act, with a firm 'no' and take her outside immediately. Praise like crazy when she goes outside.

Purpledomino
June 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Schedule a walk before leaving. Nothing gets a dog "going" more than plain old exercise. One of my Minpins has a problem with constipation, and a short walk outside usually gets things going so she doesn't have what we call a "blowout" later. Crating is good too...but "clearing" things up before leaving this dog alone is going to solve your problem IMO.