Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally Tried Raw...

DougG
June 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I've been wanting to find out how my three Himalayan cats would react to raw food, so I bought a "A Taste of Raw" bag of Nature's Variety chicken today. I defrosted two medallions in the fridge this afternoon, let them warm up in a covered bowl on the counter for half an hour this evening, and dished it out when it was time for treats this evening.

Molly and Kobi sniffed around the bowls and walked away without even trying the food. Silky sniffed around, started to walk away... then turned around and went right back to the bowl. She ate a bit more than half of it, then went to one of the other bowls and had a nibble. Good girl!

I'll leave it out for half an hour to see if Molly or Kobi decide to try it finally, and / or if Silky has decided to come back for more. I'll try again a few times in the coming days, to see if Molly and Kobi change their minds on it. I'll also get a small bag of the lamb variety to see how they react to it...

growler~GateKeeper
June 27th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Good for Silky :thumbs up Smart grrl :D

You can also try leaving a small amount near the food dishes at breakfast/dinner to get Molly & Kobi used to the smell. They also might just see Silky eating the raw & decide they don't want to miss out on whatever she's getting :D

Love4himies
June 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM
And you didn't take pics of your :lovestruck: babies :yell: :yell: :yell: :frustrated: :D.

I had to start my cats off very, very slowly with raw. Mixing a tiny bit of raw with their canned.

DougG
June 27th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I put out another medallion this afternoon and little Miss Silky just marched right over and ate half of it - and I could tell she was really enjoying herself. She's sitting in her favourite chair now, licking her chops. That's my girl! Makes me so glad. :clap:

Molly and Kobi... they're sleepin' the afternoon away. I'll see if either of them try some later on. If they still don't seem interested I'll experiment a bit e.g. leaving some in a dish near their regular food and / or I'll put a bit of one of their favourite foods on top. I'll also try others in the Nature's Variety line (beef or lamb).

Love4himies
June 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Wahoo for Miss Silky :thumbs up :highfive:

still no pics though :frustrated: :D

growler~GateKeeper
June 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Good job Silky :thumbs up

bendyfoot
June 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
WTG!!!

Our two youngest cats took to raw 100% right away, but Boo took about a month to get her to come around...but once she decided she was into it, there was no turning back (she loves those medallions, but pork tenderloin is her all-time fave! :lovestruck:)

DougG
July 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Little update - I picked up a small bag of the Nature's Variety Lamb raw food, and put one defrosted medallion out yesterday morning. Silky loved it, and ate about half the medallion. Yummers.

Five minutes later she barfed it all up - and then barfed a few more times over the next ten minutes.

I wonder if the lamb just didn't agree with Silky, or what? It didn't smell off or anything.

Since the barfing episode yesterday Silky's been just fine, eating and enjoying her regular canned food, and keeping it down.

sugarcatmom
July 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I wonder if the lamb just didn't agree with Silky, or what?

Sounds like it. Maybe she needs to work her way up to the lamb, starting with just a tiny amount mixed in with her regular food. I had a cat that yacked up a large amount of freshly eaten beef one time (projectile off the kitchen table - that was fun to clean up!). Afterwards, he didn't want anything to do with raw beef ever again. I wished I'd introduced it slower than I had, but he'd never had a problem with other types of meat before. Hopefully this is just a one-time thing with Silky.

DougG
July 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'll get another small bag of the chicken formula - she liked that one a lot, she ate it with gusto and no barfing at all. Unfortunately the whole bag of chicken I bought in June, um... got defrosted accidentally recently (dummy me) and I threw it all out.

growler~GateKeeper
July 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Lamb is quite a bit higher in fat content than chicken is, it is possible Silky's digestive system was reacting to that extra fat amount.

In about a week or so you can try again with only putting out a small amount at a time.

My grrl Duffy won't go anywhere near Lamb anymore (she used to eat it one day per week, then just stopped eating it all together) & her homeopath figures that's her body's way of telling me it's not something she can process anymore.

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I agree that it's just a protein that doesn't agree with her...if our Boo eats even the slightest morcel of beef anything she yacks for the next 15 minutes.