Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medi-Cal dental: does it work?

Helene4
June 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Just got back from the vet with Kira and Jadzia for the annual exam :cat:. Everything is ok except for Jadzia's teeth. She has plaque (or tartar?) and her gums are a little red. Kira is not so bad. They are 5 years old and Jadzia's teeth have always been a little worse than Kira's. The vet said I should give them Medi-Cal dental formula at least 3 times a week. The kibble is bigger so they have to bite it so it's supposed to "clean" their teeth and get rid of the buildup... I've stopped feeding them dry food for nearly 2 years now thanks to all the great info I got here. They get can Wellness and homemade raw. I bought a bag but the ingredients make me sick: corn and rice are on top of the list :wall: I gave them some and of course, they loved it :yell:

Does this food really clean teeth? Has anyone used it before? If it does work, I might convince myself that feeding them "junk food" a few times a week isn't so bad if their teeth get cleaner. By the way, I tried raw chicken necks and wings and they won't touch it. I leave good sized chunks of chicken in the recipe I make so they chew but I guess it isn't enough to clean their teeth.

Thanks for your comments! :)

sugarcatmom
June 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I would look for other ways to clean their teeth, like possible brushing them (I know, ha ha, pretty funny), or feeding them bigger chunks of raw meat and gizzards so they have to chew more thoroughly. There are also dental gels and chews that are a better option. And just regular teeth cleaning at the dentist can help.

Here's a video put out by Cornell University on how to get a cat used to teeth brushing: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/brushing_teeth

growler~GateKeeper
June 27th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I've stopped feeding them dry food for nearly 2 years now thanks to all the great info I got here. They get can Wellness and homemade raw. I bought a bag but the ingredients make me sick: corn and rice are on top of the list :wall: I gave them some and of course, they loved it :yell:

2 years without dryfood, putting them back on it 3 times a week just might turn them off canned & raw and back into kibble addicts.

I would either return the bag, say they won't eat it & get a refund or donate it to a shelter.

Brushing their teeth is a far better alternative.

krdahmer
June 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I got that stuff too after two of my cats had to have cleanings and extractions, but also being in the process of changing over to wet food (the two that had the teeth removed eat mostly wellness canned now), also didn't like the ingredient list, so what I've done is started using it as treats they go almost as bonkers for those as for the temptations I also give them on a set schedule (really helps to have them all in one place everyday, all happy and wanting treats if you need to medicate or clip claws, etc). Since Smoke has been having them as treats and eating the wellness, her teeth have improved, which I'm glad for because I tried and tried and brushing teeth is just not an option unless hubby is home to help.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Four of mine usually get high scores from the vet when she sees their mouth, except for Czari, I need to get her teeth cleaned. But it's near impossible to actually brush their teeth unless I have help, so I also give them Temptations as treats.

They get some twice daily and they love them. They are the only things they will crunch and chew.

Bina
June 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I don't use any "dental" foods either. We have a dry treat that Mitten will chew and hopefully clean her teeth.

Helene4
June 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I tried brushing their teeth when they were kittens and frankly I just wasn't consistent with the whole thing. After that, it was Petzlife, the teeth cleaning gel I used for many months. It wasn't the miracle product I expected after seeing the company's publicity so I stopped. I had to give the gel at least 30 minutes after their last meal before bedtime. I would often be ready for bed but had to wait a half hour because the girls we just finishing their night time snack!

I just have to give myself a good kick in the you know what and be consistent with teeth brushing. I know Jadzia might eventually have to get a vet dental cleaning but the whole thing just freaks me out. I have a hard time accepting it is normal for cats to get their teeth cleaned in such a way every few years or so. I find it very scary. My dog Kalou :rip: had her teeth cleaned once and I swear just a few months later her teeth were already starting to get brownish and later on they were as dirty as before the surgery. Why did I put her through that? What good did it do? Of course that was years before I learned about raw meaty bones. Mickey and Arielle's :dog:teeth have become much cleaner since they get raw bones but the cat's don't want anything to do with bones or gizzards (tried that also).

It was funny, when I first gave them Medi-Cal they chewed and chewed. Later on they wouldn't touch the kibble but I could tell they were hungry so I gave them can Wellness which they ate at once. I really don't think they will become kibble addicts! I didn't have a hard time switching them to can and raw when they were eating mostly kibble so maybe a few kibble used as treats would be ok till the teeth get cleaner.

In the meantime, I have to BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH!