Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnancy + sick pets = ?

ashtoreth
June 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'm asking my self a lot of questions lately about that.

Me and my boyfriend are going to try to have kids in a very near future (2 months before we start, we could start now, but I just started a new job and I want to be comfortable there before ) anyway...

I'm starting to work in a Emergency Veterinary clinic Monday, we get a lot of emergency cases (wounded and sick dogs) I was warned about all the stress (this I can manage well though, working in video games taught me how to deal with stress, the hard way ;)

What I'm mostly afraid of, is if it can be dangerous for the inborn. I heard some diseases could be passed to humans.

I can't really ask my boss since I didn't exactly shout "Well We want kids in a near future so you'll lose me for a year or so after :P) since it's not something you really say in an Interview.

Anyone knows anything about that?

Chris21711
June 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I don't really think that it is a potential problem, many girls working at the SPCA have had children and worked all through their pregnancy....the last one to have a child was the Vet Tech...The only thing I have heard, is that coming into contact with cat feces could possibly present a danger.

I'm sure someone else has better info.

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
The only disease I'm aware of that could be transmitted isn't actually a disease, it's a parasite, Toxoplasmosis (that's the one you're thinking of Chris). It's transmitted in feces/litterbox. I'm 99% sure it has to be actually injested (i.e. eaten) to be transmitted. So using routine caution like wearing gloves to handle feces or change litterboxes, and thorough handwashing should keep you covered. Personally, I wouldn't worry that much. I don't think it's even that common.

Chris21711
June 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The only disease I'm aware of that could be transmitted isn't actually a disease, it's a parasite, Toxoplasmosis (that's the one you're thinking of Chris). It's transmitted in feces/litterbox. I'm 99% .

Yep, that's the one..........it had more than four letters so I couldn't pronounce it :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
One of the vets that works in the clinic I take my gang to just had a baby. I saw her several times through her pregnancy, when I'd go for Czari's manicure. So, if she could work with sick pets that closely with no issues, you should be okay. I've read many illnesses aren't passed from animal to human.

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Good point. I worked at a predominantly female-run vet clinic for five years(hmmmm I think we had one "token male" that whole time, :laughing:) , and I watched at least 2 receptionists, 3 vet techs and 3 vets go through very healthy pregnancies in that time.

Yeah, there were a lot of chicks there. :laughing:

Bina
June 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
My previous woman vet worked right through her pregnancy. She is the bomb proof type anyway. :)
It may be a good idea though, to wear rubber gloves as much as possible.
Another disease to consider is psittacosis, which occasionally comes in on parrots.

ashtoreth
June 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
yea I was thinking about wearing gloves anytime I need to handle a sick pet anyway. Just wanted to ask and be more at ease, my boyfriend is already worried enough that the kid can be diabetic/epileptic as it it (my boyfriend has both, well controlled and hes a freak of nature, no one in his family, close or far, has any of the two o.0) I wanted to be able to reassure him :)

thanks for the info!

TwinTails
June 26th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but I know that there is an illness that women can pick up from small pets (it's in their urine or feces). It's not the Hanta Virus, but similar. Mostly it comes from wild rodents, however a few years ago I read about it being found in some domestic pets. Really, it's about using gloves, washing well & wearing a mask while cleaning their cages.