Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orphaned... but saved

erykah1310
June 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Sad story, typical story, but momma raccoon lost her life tragically near the camp grounds that I stay at during the week for work and she left behind babies.

Only one was caught but the search will continue for the other 2 known siblings.

Little Raccoon will be staying here for a day or so until I can get ahold of the wildlife rehabilitation/refuge locally.

Gonna be a long night since the little one eats like every half hour and lets you know its bottle time:cloud9:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/raccoon.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/raccoon2.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/raccoon3.jpg

TeriM
June 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Awww, look at that face :lovestruck:.

Good luck with the care :goodvibes:.

happycats
June 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
OMG how freakin cute is that !!:lovestruck::cloud9:
Are they that tame? I thought they would at least try to fight humans a little bit.....but then again I guess as long as your the one holding the bottle they would get tame pretty darn quick :D

RIP Momma :candle:

BeagleMum
June 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
OMG, that's the cutest thing ever!!!

Shaykeija
June 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Is Dr J at Wild at Heart taking it? That is just too freaking cute.

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Poor little baby. What a sad way to start a new life. I hope you can find the other two.

What a sweetie though.:cloud9:

TacoGrl
June 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
WoW!!!! I have never seen a baby racoon before...how sweet! :lovestruck:

I hope you find his sibs...he must be lonely :sad:

erykah1310
June 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Is Dr J at Wild at Heart taking it? That is just too freaking cute.
Yup, 'cause they're the best ever:thumbs up

I'm floored how tame it is too, but it wants food so puts up with me I guess lol

Dog Dancer
June 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Bless you for taking the little thing in. They sure are cute, I too hope they find the sibs. We have a raccoon nesting in a tree next to our yard and last weekend mom was moving them to an abandoned shed across the alley. Boy you should have heard the babies screaming when she left them behind to move the others! I have never heard such a racket. The mother has been out prowling alot during the days, which seems odd to me, I thought they were more nocturnal. I suspect with the babies to feed now she has to bring more food home, plus we have coyotes who hunt at night and she may be trying to avoid them. I sure hope your baby isn't making as much noise as these guys were.

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
OMG I LOOOOOOOOOOVE them at that age!!!!:lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

When I worked at the wildlife centre here we had scores of littles like that and they are just a joy! Does he/she purr for you when you scritch him/her?:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
June 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Oh, what a doll! :flirt: What did the rest of your furbabies think of the newbie? :D

:goodvibes: for the other two! I hope they're found soon!!

erykah1310
June 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, He purrs when you scritch him, its adorable.
The dogs here don't mind him at all, Kita is especially concerned about him when he SCREAMS, she goes running and checks on him. Such a mother hen she is.

As for his screaming. It is piercing, thank goodness I don't have neighbours that close, but I'm sure the people across the road can hear him.
I made him a make shift nest with some teddy bears and Karma fur and he really likes it, it keeps him a little more quiet

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah, He purrs when you scritch him, its adorable.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

chico2
June 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Erykah,what an adorable baby:lovestruck:
I am not surprised he does not mind humans,when we had Raccoon-babies here,they were always trying to get through the screen in to the house,not afraid at all.
Screeching,OMG can they be loud,we at one point had 2 mothers and about 10 babies,what a symphony:laughing:
Thank's for saving this little guy:thumbs up

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Erykah- What is the latest, did you get the little cutie to a safe place??

Tundra_Queen
July 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Oh he is sooooo cute! Look at that little face. I'm sorry about his momma thoug, that is so sad. I hope his other siblings can be found soon, so they can be saved. what a wonderful thing u did saving him. :grouphug:

Debbie

Frenchy
July 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
omg he's so freaking cute ! :lovestruck:

Chaser
July 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
How adorable :cloud9: I've never seen a baby raccoon that clearly before......such a sad situation, but he must be a joy to cuddle!

Mat&Murph
July 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
What a cutie!!! Poor little guy.

Love4himies
July 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
How cute is that face :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck:. And how lucky you were around to help save this little guy :angel:. I hope they find his siblings :pray:

hunnybunny
July 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Awwww lovely wee cutie :goodvibes::goodvibes:
Hope the others get found safe and sound :fingerscr