Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet sitter advice.

Stacer
June 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
We're heading to the cabin next week with Skylar and we're having a pet sitter come to our house daily to visit the cats.

We've never used a petsitter before and I'm a bit hesitant. The one we're going with is bonded and insured which I guess should ease my mind. Is there anything I should ask before I sign the cheque and hand my house key over to them? Is there anything I should look out for?

I'm really hoping for a positive experience, we prefer not to transport the cats too much cause it really stresses them out. But the thought of a stranger in my home kinda stresses me out, lol!

Melinda
June 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'd begin by asking them if they have pets themselves, if they know pet first aid....I'm really not much help because I've never hired a sitter either, on a side note......I hope to see pics of Skylar at the cabin!! *L*

Chaser
June 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I haven't hired one yet....but know I likely will need to in future. I would ask for references, and find out if they are insured if it's an actual business. I would also have them over while Skylar is there....I truly believe if there is something not right about a person your dog will tell you.

Stacer
June 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
They're coming over on Sunday for a home visit. The lady sounds very nice, and she does have dogs. She mostly runs a doggy daycare business where she takes the dogs to hiking trails for walks. But also does the pet sitting in between.

I think Skylar would be no help at all in determining if a person is good or not, she loves everbody, lol. But she will be home when the lady visits before we go.

Melinda, we'll be sure to take lots of pics of her. We're going to try to get her in the water, so far she's been very hesitant to even get wet (afraid of the hose and the sprinklers at the splash pad in the park). Must have had a bad experience at some point.

shabess
June 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If the sitter is local the first thing I ask is whether they have pets of their own, followed by a list of any customers I can contact for a reference that I might know. Nobody can care for any animal like the owner can so there is a level of trust involved as well as a bit of a leap of faith. I would also make it clear that they might be being watched by neighbors etc.. just for safey's sake.