Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bonnie's bloodtest results are abnormal

Maxine
June 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone, I am looking for advices about my cat Bonnie. She lost weight in the past couple months. She now weight 5.6 pounds (she was about 8 pounds)

I brought her to the vet monday, here are the bloodtest results. The vet doesn't know what is causing this, it may be many things she says, so we will start with antibiotics for 14 days, twice a day. It's called Dalacin. She also gave us some pill. Zentonil 100 mg, once a day. She'll have another bloodtest in a month to see if it's getting better :pray: , stable, or worse...

Hematologie

erythrocytes 7.11
hemoglobine 104
hematocrite 33
VGM 46
TGMH 15
CGMH 317
leucocytes 5.7

Biochimie

Glucose 3.9
Urée 8.7
Creatinine 111
ALT 325
ALP 63
Proteine totale 61
Albumine 33
Globulines 28
Rapport A/G 1.18
Potassium 4.3
Rapport NA/K 34.4

Maybe someone has an idea of what is going on? :confused: I'm worried she'll keep loosing weight... :sad:

sugarcatmom
June 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Do you have the normal reference ranges for the lab values?

Zenotil is basically SAMe, which helps repair the liver. Something else you might want to ask your vet about is Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/denamarin/index.asp), which contains both SAMe and silybin, another potent liver booster.

Is your cat eating normally? What does she eat?

Maxine
June 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your answer Sugarcatmom,

Bonnie eats Orijen kibble and I give her Merrick wet food. She used to eat California Natural kibble, I switched to Orijen in April and I thought she didn't it much because she wasn't eating a lot. Then I started to buy the Merrick on a regular basis to supplement while we finish the huge bag of Orijen (my 2 other cats like it).

She doesn't eat much anymore... only the Surf and Turf Merrick... and not even a full small can per day.

I'll look into Denamarin, thank you :)

She is in normal range for the stuff I didn't put in bold.

Normal range for ALT 0-75
Normal range for ALP 5-35
Normal range for rapport A/G 0.67- 1.1

growler~GateKeeper
June 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM
ALP is an enzyme that forms in body tissue, the most common causes of increases in cats are liver and bone disease, and also tumors of the liver.

ALT is an enzyme produced in the liver, the levels increase with a diseased or damaged liver.

rapport A/G or A/G ratio is the relation between Albumin and Globulin

Albumin is protein created in the liver. High levels are rarely seen and occur primarily from dehydration. Low levels are seen with poor diets, diarrhea, fever, infection, liver disease, hypocalcemia, low iron intake etc

Globulin is a protein, that includes antibodies and enzymes, also created by the liver. Low levels result in frequent infections due to the lack of disease fighting antibodies.

These 2 proteins must stay within their own normal values but at the same time should stay within a normal acceptable ratio to each other.

Looking at the numbers posted I would say the Albumin is on the high side of normal and the Globulin is on the low side of normal and that is why the ratio is out of normal range.

With the increase in liver numbers, the decrease in appetite and rapid weight loss, Hepatic Lipidosis (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1455) is my educated guess as to what is happening now, possibly with an under lying infection as per the hematology. If this is the case it is essential that you get Bonnie not only eating more per day especially more high quality protein per day.

sugarcatmom
June 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I agree with growler that you've got to try everything to get your cat eating more. It's hard to say whether the liver issues developed because of not enough food, or if your cat isn't eating as much because of liver issues. Go out and buy a wide variety of canned foods, even Fancy Feast or Friskies, maybe try some Wellness. Also some plain meat baby food is good for enticing cats to eat. Top dress the canned with tuna or parmesan cheese or bonito flakes or her favourite pulverized treat. Go back to feeding her the California Natural if she'll eat more of it than the Orijen (although kibble is not an appropriate food for cats, she needs to eat, so in this case it would be acceptable).

Maxine
June 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thank you Growler, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I'm going to read the page you linked.

The kiddle I feed them is a high quality and high protein one (Orijen) but she doesnt eat it. She only eats the wet Merrick food. A 3.2 oz can has about 76 Kcal but she doesn't eat it all in one day.... And I think she'll be very stressed out if I force feed her (I already have to restrain her when giving her a daily pill (Zentonil) and twice a day liquid antibiotic) :shrug:

Do you suggest another wet food?

Oh ok thank Sugarcatmom, I'll get a sample of California Natural. As for the wet food, I added tuna water wich she usually LOVES, and she ate a little bit only. She usually goes crazy for Merrick wet food or tuna!!! But not anymore :(