Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

IS it POSSIBLE

hunnybunny
June 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Maybe a strange question but is it possible a young dog with hip dysplasia could improve ?
I met a lady today who said young dog with HD can 'grow out of it' could this be true do you think ? or is it not possible, this lady seemed very knowledgable and seemed to know what she was talking about .

LavenderRott
June 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hip dysplasia is a disease that affects the muscles, ligaments and connective tissue connecting the hip, causing abnormal wear on the bones.

It is possible to keep a dog lean and strengthen the muscles of the legs to keep the dog as close to symptom free as possible for a while - it doesn't go away. That is why it is so very important that dogs with dysplasia not be bred.

Longblades
June 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I met a lady today who said young dog with HD can 'grow out of it' could this be true do you think ? or is it not possible, this lady seemed very knowledgable and seemed to know what she was talking about .
That's exactly what my Vet said too, well, sorta. My friend bought a Standard Poodle pup from a breeder who did the proper clearances. At a very, very young age this pup was diagnosed with very bad HD and our Vet advised my friend to return the pup, which she could have done according to her health guarantee. My friend had had the pup about 3 days and of course she was in love with it and kept it. She decided to give up her goal of hiking and cross country skiing with this dog and deal with an expected cripple.

But, as he matured he was able to do short outings on not too rough ground and he lived to a good old age. After the fact our Vet told my friend that recent research and reports did conclude that extremely bad HD in very young dogs did seem to resolve and even improve a bit. A bit, only a bit. Our Vet was not aware of this research when he first advised my friend to return the pup. How close this is to what LavenderRott said, maintaining lean weight etc., I don't know. My Vet and my friend expected this poodle to worsen but he did not. Have you asked a Vet and tried to research this on the net? It's many years since my friend got that pup.

hunnybunny
June 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I am quite excited by this as have found a few cases on the net that have shown major improvements in HD.
My dog has severe HD and ostoarthritis, he is a young dog.
Originally my vet didn,t hold out much hope for him as the x.rays were so bad and i was told he would never do much more than 10 min on lead exercise ,well now he is up to 30 mins and doing really well , Maybe this is down to the medication, but he just seems stronger in himself.
I will mention this on my next vet visit.
I thought i would be dealing with a crippled dog :sad: so am really pleased with how well he is doing :)

shabess
June 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Much research has been done on HD and if I might this is what we know for sure. Firstly HD is not hereditary as first suspected and the level of HD once diagnosed determins the level of activity during the dogs life. It can be vastly improved if the level of HD is not too severe. Most breeders of large dogs have pre-lim xrays done at six months of age and if HD is not in any of the litter they are free for life. At the same time HD does not go away for those that are diagnosed but with proper treatment the dog can have a very active life depending on the severity.

bendyfoot
June 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I've been told by some large-breed breeders (danes, shepherds) that they've successfully "treated" (i.e. managed) fairly bad cases of HD with a combo of good supplementation (glucosamine/chondroitin) and lots and lots of exercise. Not high-impact or rigourous exercise, but walking, walking, walking. If the muscles are strong they will help hold the hip in a more correct position.

mona_b
June 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Honestly, I have never heard of HD going away. Hd is caused by the ball part coming away from the socket.Then it starts to rub against the lower part of the socket...This is where the pain comes from.

Nutrition plays a role also...In large breed dogs this is the reason why it is so very important NOT to over exercise a young pup or make them jump up a lot.

Most breeders of large dogs have pre-lim xrays done at six months of age and if HD is not in any of the litter they are free for life.

You can never say they are free from it for life if it hasn't shown up at 6 months...Unless a pup is returned, I really don't know of any breeder keeping all pups till 6 months....You can do an xray at 6 months,may be clear, But then at say 4 years old the dog may have it.

Ethical breeders start the testing at 2 years old. This way if HD does show up, they will not breed. Even though I didn't show or breed any of my dogs, I had their hips checked.

I have watched a show where there was a an 8 week old pup that had HD.

TeriM
June 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I think it mainly depends on the degree of HD. I highly doubt that HD can be "cured" but if it is not really severe then it can be managed. Good muscle tone helps to provide stability to the joint and prevent the rubbing and further deterioration. Glucosamine and supplements help keep the fluid levels in the joint high which aid in the cushioning and help prevent arthritis. Keeping a pet at a lean weight is also important to prevent excess stress on the joints. Pain meds are also important when you pet needs extra comfort.

Lucy was diagnosed with moderate HD when she was about ten months but honestly after the first incident it has rarely been an issue. She is now 13 and has some wobbly back end issues that have shown up in the last six months/year. She has arthritis in her shoulder which is much more of a problem.

hunnybunny
June 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
All i know is my dog is very much improved :) after the x.ray results the vet did mention him being pts .
I know HD can,t be 'cured' and my baby also has ostoarithritis of the spine , legs and hips :sad: but he is 'improving ' all the time so something good is going on or its a ' miracle' :)

kandy
June 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
As the others have said, the symptoms themselves can be managed - and as the muscles become stronger and are able to support the bones/joints better, the symptoms improve. You manage the symptoms through supplementation (g/c supplements), moderate but consistent exercise, good weight management and not allowing the dog to jar the joints by jumping on and off furniture, in and out of vehicles, etc.

Parker (my son's newf) was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia about 18 months ago. We put him on a g/c supplement right away. He's always been lean anyway, so his weight wasn't an issue. After the initial limp cleared up, he hasn't had any more problems but he's not allowed to jump on and off things - in fact I've had people smirk at the fact that he'll run over to my small suv and put his front feet up - but waits for me to come lift his butt in. LOL But the condition itself will never go away - just like the HD. With proper management, it doesn't have to be a crippling diagnosis.

I agree that dogs with HD, or any other major health issue, should not be bred. I know that the condition isn't totally genetic, but genetics does play a role and when you start breeding dogs that have the condition in their lines it raises the risks of them throwing pups with the condition. Take newfs & their risk of ACL injuries for example (just because I have done research on the statistics): Newfs are at a 50% higher risk for ACL injuries just because of their size anyway - if you line breed and in-breed newfs, the risk goes up another 50% - so a newf that comes from a line that has been heavily line bred or inbred is 75% more likely to have an ACL injury. We all know that when you breed, you get the good in the parents as well as the bad - if you breed bad to bad, pretty soon that's all you'll have.

shabess
June 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Glusosamine with Chondroiton helps although it takes awhile to kick in, Entrophen also helps especially after a bit of a workout. I've been lucky and only bred one pup diagnosed with HD but with careful management he lived to be 14. Not the best as a working dog but he did have his qualities and did quite well as a controlled substance dog. It's hard to control the excersice level especially in a young dog that wants to bounce around and play with others but one has to be careful he doesn't over do it or he could cause more damage. Caution is the order of the day.