Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sort of a close up of the newbie

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
I can't get too close to this one yet. About 4 or 5 ft and he's off. Pretty sure he's a he. I think I saw the necessary equipment today. Not neutered of course. I think he is a cat that was dumped but quite some time ago. I think he would be friendlier if he was a new dumpee. Does that make sense?
He has been temporarily named Corbin. Long story and most likely will change.
Pics were taken through the fence. Last one was about 5 feet away. He is a handsome dude with a very small patch of white on his chest.

Dee-O-Gee
June 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
He almost looks like a little Panther! :)

When I was very little we had a black cat with a little white bib under his chin and his name was Panther.

Hope you have the opportunity to approach him soon. He doesn't know what he's missing! :thumbs up

cpietra16
June 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
He looks beautiful.
Just out of curiosity....where exactly do you live and do you keep all the drop off?
Do you keep the cats that may be dropped off and happen to be updated with their shots and sterilized....Just a question of course...:rolleyes:
I mean would you say no to a cute ; lets say male...or not.....:rolleyes:
just a question....so where exactly do you live...I mean is it far ...

lets say from Montreal.....:rolleyes: Just curious......thats it yah thats it

:D

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
looks like he is a big kitty.....I agree a small panther.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
:laughing: Funny cpietra! I think I am a little too far away to be of any help to you. Believe me, if I were closer I would help.
To answer your question seriously... If I have a cat or cats that I feel can be adopted I try to adopt them. I do not try to be a hoarder. The problem is around this area there are so many, like your area, that no one seems to want any more. Nor do they want to take responsibility for the ones they have. :frustrated: Again, like your area.
I had a gentleman who asked last year if I had a tabby cat because that was the only kind of cat he wanted. Of course I do. That's basically what I have. So I questioned him... Do you want a cat to be for indoors or outdoors. He failed. Cat can come indoors for the winter. Must be outside in the summer. Asked him where he lived. When he told me I knew right away where he was. I asked him what happened to his other cat(s) already knowing the answer. He says - They keep getting themselves killed on the road! :wall: So yep, I am gonna rush to let him have one or two of mine, aren't I? :sad:
My guys are semi ferals to start with. If they didn't have the sanctuary they would be running and "getting themselves killed" on our road.
So, to make a long story short ......... if a wonderful cat who has been updated with their shots and sterilized just "happened" to be dropped off :rolleyes: I would do my level best to try to adopt him to a wonderful forever family. If I couldn't then I am sure he would be content and happy in the catuary.

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
He's gorgeous! Of course, I'm biased.

edwina
June 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
The problem is around this area there are so many, like your area, that no one seems to want any more. Nor do they want to take responsibility for the ones they have. :frustrated:

Yeah that happens alot here too, that is how i ended up with so many furbabies. :sad:

But my life would be boring with out them. :)

14+kitties
June 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
He does look like a little panther. Pretty slinky too!
Edwina - as long as you are doing the right thing and having them all fixed it's ok. We find a way to manage.

growler~GateKeeper
June 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
No matter how skittish around people, Corbin looks like he's decided to stick around. :cat: Whoever's up there on the roof next to him doesn't seem to mind too much, hopefully all the other cats are just as accepting :fingerscr

chico2
June 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM
14+,he looks like a beautiful kitty,who is that on the other roof,she does not seem to mind,but maybe she's just watching,making sure Corbin does not cause trouble.
It looks like Corbin is going to stick around,how are the others with him???
I hope no serious cat-fights:fingerscr Don't want anyone getting hurt.

14+kitties
June 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
14+,he looks like a beautiful kitty,who is that on the other roof,she does not seem to mind,but maybe she's just watching,making sure Corbin does not cause trouble.
It looks like Corbin is going to stick around,how are the others with him???
I hope no serious cat-fights:fingerscr Don't want anyone getting hurt.

That is Li'l Bit. She is a tiny one but very very brave. This huge kitty doesn't scare her!! :crazy:
I have been watching them to see what they do with him but from further away. He won't do anything if I am too close. So far all I have seen is that he gets close to one of them, they sniff, and then walk away. :shrug: Confusing a little. That makes me think that he wandered the outside of the catuary for a while before he took the plunge and went over the fence. They seem to know his smell and it doesn't bother them. Very strange. But they did that with Spare Cat last year too. Now he is back in with them and part of the group.

And don't worry. I check them all when I go over for injuries. The most I have seen is a scratch on the nose. Let's hope it stays that way. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
June 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
He looks very pantheresque. :cloud9: Interesting that he seems to be fitting in so well. :goodvibes:

So when they invite themselves for an extended stay in the catuary, do you have to trap them to get them vetted then release them back into the catuary? Man, 14+, that must be a chore making sure everyone has the proper care! :eek:

14+kitties
June 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
He looks very pantheresque. :cloud9: Interesting that he seems to be fitting in so well. :goodvibes:

So when they invite themselves for an extended stay in the catuary, do you have to trap them to get them vetted then release them back into the catuary? Man, 14+, that must be a chore making sure everyone has the proper care! :eek:

:laughing: He is going to be having an extended stay for sure. I can't get close to him right now.
When Spare Cat went in last year I had my fingers crossed he was one I had trapped and released earlier in the year. Turns out he is. He got out when the fence was down and was silly enough to get himself retrapped. I checked his "jewels" over before putting him back in with the others.
This new one may be fun to trap. Every time I put the trap over there my "regulars" like to check it out. I spend so much time taking them out of the trap after they have set it off it's almost laughable. Oh heck, it is laughable! At the moment I am flumuxed as to how to trap just him. Once I do catch him he will be getting fixed. If he really is a he. Still may be a she. :shrug: Then he will spend some time recouping in the garage crates. This way I can also see how feral he is and if there is a chance to adopt him to a new home. I will also get the bloodwork done to see if he is healthy or not. It's a bit of a fun time but necessary to keep everyone healthy. He sure does look pretty spry. And I notice the food intake has definitely increased lately too.

edwina
June 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
pantheresque

Thats a fitting name. :D

chico2
June 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
14+,it might take a looong time to get him trapped,from far away he looks healthy,lets:pray:he's already fixed,which would make things a lot easier for you:fingerscr
I think you have a reputation and people drop their unwanted:sad:felines near your place on purpose:yell:
I would think if he has made babies,there would be at least one black kitten around,but maybe there is,somewhere in the bush:confused:

14+kitties
June 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM

:laughing: That is a neat word!!

14+,it might take a looong time to get him trapped,from far away he looks healthy,lets:pray:he's already fixed,which would make things a lot easier for you:fingerscr
I think you have a reputation and people drop their unwanted:sad:felines near your place on purpose:yell:
I would think if he has made babies,there would be at least one black kitten around,but maybe there is,somewhere in the bush:confused:

I "think" he is pretty healthy. As for me having a reputation - every year around this area there are lots of kittens dropped off. I don't think I get more than anyone else. Last year there was an article in the paper about one lady who got 3 or 4 dropped off every year. She managed to find homes for some but the rest ended up at the pound. :sad: I don't want to think about the future they had then.
And yes, you are right about the black kitten(s) being around. Remember Bandit :rip::sad:? He was quite black in areas. I wondered then where the black came from. Maybe this guy is the answer. :shrug: I have been thinking lately there is a huge feral population living back in the bush. I guess my trapping will just have to be stepped up.

chico2
June 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
14+,I know any of the kitties lucky enough to end up being trapped by you,will never end up at a pound....but unfortunately it seems to be a never ending story:sad:
Do you think this black kitty could escape,or does he seem comfy where he is??
I think you kind of need a black kitty among all those tabbies and maybe beautiful Li'l Bit has a crush on him:lovestruck:

14+kitties
June 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Black kitty can't escape chico. If he could the others would be able to as well. I am hoping I can catch him/her soon to get checked out. He actually seems quite happy over there. Only howls a little bit and not as loud as the first night he was here. :thumbs up I am keeping a close eye on him. Also, the HS approved of the sanctuary. Actually, two officers in the last couple of days. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
June 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Also, the HS approved of the sanctuary. Actually, two officers in the last couple of days. :thumbs up

Excellent :thumbs up Hehe the 2nd officer probably just wanted to see what the 1st one was giving such rave reviews about :D

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Why did HS come over in the first place??
Maybe they have a vet you could use,closer than Scarborough?
But then again,they might want to start giving you more kitties?

14+kitties
June 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Why did HS come over in the first place??
Maybe they have a vet you could use,closer than Scarborough?
But then again,they might want to start giving you more kitties?

Oh chico, you know the fun never ends around here.
On the way home from work on Thurs. I was coming down the road and saw a beautiful choc. lab in the middle of the highway. No cars stopped before I got to her. I slammed on the brakes, got out of the car, and called her. She raced over and jumped into my car. I then spent the afternoon looking for her owners. No luck. :sad: We called the HS because we couldn't keep her. Sammy would have been fighting with her. And I have no more room at the inn. No place for her. HS said no one had called to report a missing dog. She had no collar or any sign of ever having one on. I don't know if she was dumped or not but man, she was so pretty.
Anyway, to make a long story short, my oldest stepson and I had taken her for a final spin around to check a couple of leads on where she could lived. None panned out. We met the HS officer at the top of our drive. He got out of his truck to get her and put her in the crate. He said she is a young dog. Maybe a year and a bit. I guess while he had waited for me to come back he saw the cats. He said he noticed I had a full house. So I explained. I told him I could show him all of their vet folders showing they had been fixed and utd on shots and he was welcome to go take a look. I also told him I had one in the garage waiting to go and two others waiting to join the group. He asked about F luek. I said no problem, they were free of it. He thanked me for doing what I do and asked about vetting. I told him where I go. He then recommended the vet in St Cat's that kr goes to if I needed a new one sometime. They asked me to join their rescue last month. Still debating.
Back to the pup. I hope her owners showed up. :fingerscr She was such a good girl. :cloud9: Except she made one heck of a mess of my car with her dirty paws. :rolleyes:

The other wonderful gal was Chris' daughter. :thumbs up: We had a fantastic visit on Wed.

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah,I remember you mentioned that,my memory kind of goes out the window sometimes:confused:
Thank you for caring for that pup,I am sure if no owner shows up,she will get adopted very soon.
Choc-Labs are very popular:fingerscr
I was worried HS would cause you trouble,but all's well:thumbs up

14+kitties
June 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah,I remember you mentioned that,my memory kind of goes out the window sometimes:confused:
Thank you for caring for that pup,I am sure if no owner shows up,she will get adopted very soon.
Choc-Labs are very popular:fingerscr
I was worried HS would cause you trouble,but all's well:thumbs up

Aww thanks chico :grouphug: All good. Hubby had always worried about that as well. He feels so much better now too.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm glad you didn't get any grief from the HS. After all you've done for those kitties, I'd hate to see you get into trouble for helping them.

14+kitties
June 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Aww thanks AG! I feel tons better myself!

onster
June 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ahh so here is the thread with the newbie!

Im confused though..how did heget in?? im sure u mentioned it but I mustve missed it somewhere. Lucky guy though!! or gal.

14+, Im so glad the HS didnt give you trouble..they had no reason to of course, but you never know.

14+kitties
June 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Ahh so here is the thread with the newbie!

Im confused though..how did heget in?? im sure u mentioned it but I mustve missed it somewhere. Lucky guy though!! or gal.

14+, Im so glad the HS didnt give you trouble..they had no reason to of course, but you never know.

He decided to climb the fence one night last week onster. I trapped the one I have in the garage Wed night. This guy jumped the fence Thurs night.