Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dirty Ears or Ear Mites?

Sophikko
June 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
I adopted 2 kittens about 4 weeks ago now. At their first checkup (the rescue organization brought them) it did note that both of their ears were pretty dirty.

I've been noticing the male kitten shaking his head and itching his ears now and then. Not excessively, but still I've noticed. Also his ears are pretty dirty - nothing like the pictures I've found when googling ear mites.

Anyways, I have them going in for another set of shots in about 10 days. Is this a good time to get the vet to check their ears, or is this a more serious concern where I should take them in this week?

Also - for future reference, how can you tell if your cat just has dirty ears, or when you should be concerned?

mafiaprincess
June 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
When you clean the ears what is the consistancy of the gunk you remove? My american cocker boy came from a breeder with indoor outdoor cats.. and he came with ear mites. It was like chocolate in his ears.

clm
June 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I would take them to the vet now and get the ears checked for mites. The sooner the better I would say, the kittens must be very uncomfortable. You would be surprised at how many mites can be in those tiny ears.

Then they can be checked again when you go back 10 days too.

Cindy

Sophikko
June 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
When you clean the ears what is the consistancy of the gunk you remove? My american cocker boy came from a breeder with indoor outdoor cats.. and he came with ear mites. It was like chocolate in his ears.

Nothing thick - it is just like black dirt.. and not much of it. it is speckled in his ears and I only catch him scratching or shaking his head maybe once a day.

I just don't want to be too paranoid. At the same time I don't want to be too relaxed about my cats' health either.

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
my kitten was just diagnosed with ear mites, his ears were filthy and icky. Vet said it probably will take two more ear flushes to get all the garbage out of his ears. Plus three months of medication to get rid of those nasty mites, and the vet told me they are easily passed on, so all my other furries are under watch for itchy ears. I would get him looked at, with mine as soon as the vet looked into his ears she said ohhhh he has ear mites really really bad.

If it is black speckly dirt, have you checked for fleas?