Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dexter update

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Things are going pretty good, have a few problems, but everyone is still getting along (phoebe is still a bit growly).

One of my problems is Dexter has started bolting for the door, he wants to go outside bad. It's hard to let the dog out because he is just waiting for that door to open a crack and he bolts. Zoe is good enough that I dont have to hang onto her collar to bring her outside, she just walks out and waits to be tied up, which leaves one hand free to block. But Zoe sometimes takes her time going out the door, and kitty is quick. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

And my other problem is Dexter won't eat his wet food now that he has tasted real chicken. And he was eating good wet food.......nope real chicken is better so he says. I know he just can't eat real chicken because he isn't getting what he needs........:shrug:

And of course I am starting to worry because Dexter goes in for the big snip-snip on Monday. I know he is cool enough not to make a big deal, but I still worry about the "what-ifs".

So now for the good stuff. I don't think I have laughed so hard in a long time. Zoe and Dexter are clowns....all day long. Dexter has taken to grooming Zoe and she doesn't have a clue what to do with a cat all over her head trying to clean her ears. Then Zoe trys to return the favour, and poor Dex gets his head soaked by big slobbery dog tounge. He is walking around with a permanent wet mohawk

They play hide and seek. Dex hides under my foot stool and Zoe goes bonkers trying to get under it. Dex comes out the other side and lays on the floor while Zoe is trying to shove her head under the other side totally unaware the cat is laying on the rug. Then he waits a bit, with the tail going, and zooms under and swats the dog a few times, gets her really going and then he pops out the other side to lay and watch the dog still trying to get under the stool. Then he jumps on top and swats Zoes back while her head is under the stool, when she pops up he goes under and gets her feet.:D

I have to say Zoe has been awesome with her toys, we had a few growly moments but now she brings toys to Dex and the game is on. She has had a few jealous moments too....but I just put Dex up on the back of the couch and give her lots of loving, after a good belly scratch she gets back to normal.

Amos is now playing with Dex, they have a string toy upstairs and all night long the two of them are going bonkers together.....sometimes broken up by Phoebe having a hissy fit......then Amos and Dex lay together while Phoebe hogs the toy and gives the boys evil looks.

So all is well....I just need to go get new batteries for my camera.....top of my shopping list today:cat:

JennieV
June 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
DGH, thats awesome news to hear....

I have no advice, other than vigilance, about Dexter's attempts to run out..:shrug:
You made me laugh out loud, while reading Dex's antics and poor Zoe...all that "abuse"! :laughing::laughing:

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
As soon as I get my camera working I will take video. Right now they are both pooped out and snoozing.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Zoe must be on :cloud9: with having a cat who will play with her!! :cloud9: Wonderful!!!!! And Amos will be happy too. That just leaves the queen. She is probably relieved to not have to amuse her subjects any more. Dexter does it for her.
Have you thought about trying raw for Dex? My Pet Valu just started selling raw. It's also pretty easy to make it up yourself. Or is it cooked chicken he likes? If that's the case I don't know. SCM will be able to give you some pointers I'm sure. :thumbs up
I would love to see pics of Dexter's mowhawk! :cloud9:

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I am back with fresh batteries.......and a paper bag and a box with crinkly papers inside........the fun will begin soon:thumbs up

I notice Amos is calmer now with a newbie in the house. He hasn't chewed his fur off himself for a week now. He actually has hair growing on his belly and legs for the first time in almost a year. Usually the only thing that stops him is a shot of depo-medrol. I had to check Dexter and make sure Amos wasn't licking the hair off of him, Dexter is still furry and now Amos hopefully will have a furry belly now too:thumbs up

I will have to look into something for Dex. Right now it is cooked chicken he is crazy for. I half arsed tried raw for the other two, far too picky so I gave up and just started buying a high quality wet food that they love now. Dex went from dry kibble, to wet, to only wanting chicken in a week.....looks like I may have to do some reading, and hopefully SCM will give me a hand with her knowledge.

Looks like the little guy has got some muscle on him now. I get sad everytime I think how long he lived in a crate and didn't get to move around. He really doesn't know what to do with toys, just two days ago I got him interested in stalking a ball on a string. I am going to end up with a dog that thinks shes a cat, and a cat that thinks he's a dog:laughing: zoe now fights with her feet like the cat does. She puts it up in the air and tries her best to swat back.

Mind you the flies, moths, and spiders have all been taken care off. Last night I had a moth in the house at midnight, my kitchen got trashed...and the moth made it safetly outside. First thing this morning Dex was back in the kitchen looking for the last place he saw the moth, only to find a fly.....Zoe and him killed the morning taking turns on chasing the fly.

It's such a hoot, I just love it! I am smiling, Zoe is smiling, Phoebe, oh well she will come around.......and little Dex is having a blast in his furever home! OOOPs how dare I forget the big cat Amos........think he is smiling too......and hopefully a furrier smile!!

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
It's great to hear things are going pretty well.

I don't know your set up at home, but I'm lucky enough to have a little hallway when I come in the front door. I have a bamboo screen, and I am able to block the door and have enough room to get in, even with my granny cart, and not worry about the cats getting out.

This was in my previous apartment, but you cat get an idea of how it works.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/IMG_0623.jpg

Here's a shot coming into the door from outside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/IMG_0626.jpg

For me, it's been great. I've got both sides secured and tied on the wall. I can easily open it and close it and it stays closed and they can't get through it. And they have never had the inclination to climb it either.

dogcatharmony
June 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I may have to look into something like that, maybe a tall babygate....don't know, my doorway is rather small.

Found out Dexter loves steak, rare......looks like I need to do some research.

Jim Hall
June 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
lol dexter is a protien freak i usedt tomix up some chickenor beef with his reg wet and that would get him to eat it u cant leave that around though

at least not like du who is a seafood and fish junkie

growler~GateKeeper
June 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Sounds like lots of fun at your house :D

Have you tried shredding a bit of the cooked chicken & mixing it into the canned with a little extra on top for the scent factor? I sometimes have to "bribe" my grrl to eat by adding a tiny bit of cheese or meat on top of her food.

Tundra_Queen
June 24th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hi DCH... I am so glad that things are going so great! And the thing with Zoe and Dex under the stool playing.....is a hoot! :laughing::laughing:

We had a screen door built about 3 weeks ago to keep the cats from running out into the porch when Gary and Tegan were trying to go outside. It is a pretty solid door and the screen is up high enough where Tegan won't smash it with her body. It's made out of pine 1 X 4".

I have attached 2 pics of the door. The white door is the metal door leading to our porch. It's a small space about 4 ft from the screen door to the metal door and about 5 or 6 ft wide.

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
June 24th, 2009, 04:09 AM
OOOps. I forgot to mention that we had been using baby gates where the screen door is now, but Willie has learned to jump things, now that the "kids" have made him feel like he's young again. :laughing:

sugarcatmom
June 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Good ideas to mix some of the chicken or steak into Dexter's canned food. Also, it could be that he's bored if he's only been getting one brand of wet. Some cats (like my guy) seem to need a bit of variety in their canned selection in order to stay interested in commercial food. I seriously have at least a dozen different types of canned food in my house at any given time and Aztec gets a different flavour at every meal, as well as 5 or 6 choices of raw.

Something else you might want to check out while researching a raw diet for Dexter (I'll bet he'll be an easy convert), is picking up one of the pre-packaged frozen raw foods, if there is anything available where you are (Nature's Variety might be). You don't have to feed it all the time (I mostly feed raw on weekends and some evenings).

kandy
June 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Glad to hear that things are going well! Had to laugh at Zoe and Dexter's antics though - I bet they have you in tears half the time! Definitely need to post a pic of the permanent wet mohawk! LOL I bet Zoe is just loving having a cat that will play with her, and Amos is probably happy that Zoe isn't bugging him to play anymore.

dogcatharmony
June 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Should have seen three o'clock this morning.....my house is super trashed!! We finally got a break in the heat and Dexter went bonzai......of course Zoe had to too. Every available table top, counter, top of cabinets.....cleared off. My blinds are all messed up and bent......stuffies are everywhere.........he is one intense kitty when he gets the zoomies.....never seen a cat go that fast....he was a blur...and Zoe a bigger blur. I just sat tucked into a corner on the couch with my toes and fingers hidden........and of course laughed and laughed.

I am trying to get the mohawk pic, he doesn't stay still. Zoe had his entire head in her mouth yesterday morning......of course my camera was in the other room. It's an absolute hoot having him in the house.

kandy
June 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds hilarious! I can totally agree with you staying out of the path - when I have all four dogs and they get the zoomies, you better not be in their path or you'll be knocked flat and then run over. LOL Guess you better redecorate to make sure no breakable stuff is on any counters, tables or cupboards. LOL

TeriM
June 26th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Sounds wonderful :cloud9:.

Others might disagree but I would keep a water bottle handy and squirt him when he makes a run for the door. It might sound mean but if it means keeping him safe then it is worth it to me. My Fred goes outside with us in the summer and comes when he is called usually. If he ignores us then I just have to pick up the water bottle and squirt about ten feet away from him and he turns around and comes inside.

Tundra_Queen
June 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You could put some pennies in a pop can and just shake it when he goes for the door. If he's like my 3 he will run in the other direction. They don't like the noise.

Debbie