Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten Behavior

Kai One
August 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 12 week old male tabby kitten (so adorable) but he has started a nasty habit of chewing on my lap top cord. I know he does this because he ever time he's chewing I swat him away and he thinks I'm playing. He'll only chew when I'm using the laptop, never when it's turned off. But I don't want to just ignore him whiles he doing it because he'll chew through the wire and those power cords ain't cheap :p
I play with him lots so I don't think he's suffering from lack of attention. I've read about providing cats with alternate activities so they stop the bad ones, but i'm not sure what I could substitute this with as he just does it to get my attention. Any ideas of how I can stop him from doing this.
Thanks a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kirei_pan/maui.jpg

glasslass
August 13th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Beautiful kitten! This must be the high-tech version of the cat stretching out on the newspaper when you're trying to read it. :D Puss-Puss walks back and forth in front of my monitor. Maybe you could put a little citrus oil on the cord, or use a spray repellant made for keeping them off furniture. Or maybe a quick spray of water might help.

Sneaky2006
August 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM
I don't know what to say to help ya but all I know is that all of my cats will play with (and chew on) anything that resembles a string, shoe strings, cords, panty hose (that I'm not wearing :)) my hair! I think it will happen to the end of time. If it's dangling, a cat's on it!
He's very cute by the way. :D

chico2
August 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM
The only thing you can do is get a cover for the cable,available in most computer-stores. Anything that moves is fair game for a cat,that's just the way they are and why love them :p
My Chico,will sit in front of the screen and stare at me in a"here I am,I want cuddles"fashion,If I iron(once a year)Vinnie will come running as a shot..he just loves the moving cord and drives me up the wall,also a very dangerous game.
Things will improve somewhat with age,but if you have a kitten the same as if you had a small puppy or a child,kitten/puppy/child proofing is a good idea.
He's adorable by the way!!