Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The dogs and cats of the SPCA Laurentides-Labelle, Ste-Agathe-des-Monts

brianna079
June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I wanted to start a thread for the dogs and cats at the SPCA in Ste-Agathe-des-Monts where I am now working part-time.

I will post updates from my days there, what goes on, and most importantly about all our furry friends we have.

About us (taken from our link on petfinder.com): The SPCA Laurentides-Labelle: a no-kill shelter! Did you know that our team chooses life by giving another well deserved chance to abandoned animals? The SPCA Laurentides — Labelle keeps dogs and cats as long as necessary, except in rare cases of fatal or incapacitating illness, or because of dangerous behaviour. Our team’s efforts go towards adoption, education, protection and animal rights. Our shelter offers dogs and cats a healthy environment… without a time limit. The SPCA Laurentides — Labelle doesn’t receive any financial help from governments or other SPCAs. It is funded mainly by public donations and different fundraising activities. Give generously!. We would love to meet you! Please come up for a visit!

Our adoption fees include spaying/neutering, vaccination, and deworming.

We are open 7 days a week, from 1:00pm - 6:00pm

You can visit our web-site, set up both in french and in english, at www.spcall.ca and you can also visit our cats and dogs at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC11.html

I will post with updates, so please check back often.

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
You can visit our web-site, set up both in french and in english, at www.spcall.ca and you can also visit our cats and dogs at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC11.html

you're a mean mean girl to have posted this link :frustrated:

:laughing: omg , 2 st-bernard mix ? 2 ? :cloud9: :lovestruck: AND a beautiful golden mix ... :lovestruck:

cpietra16
June 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
You are playing very dirty....I can;t believe i watched the video.....OMG...I almost cried.....it is beautiful.......so can that director go to the Montreal SPCA and show how its done?????

brianna079
June 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Th refuge is fantastic. The employees, and volunteers are all there because they want to be there and love the animals. Great, great place.

OMG, i dont have to tell you how adorable those st-bernard mixes are! Lyzie and Agathe are so sweet! We have a couple of young girls (maybe 11-12 years old) that volunteer on the weekends, they take Agathe out for her walks, and she plods along gently with them. And all Lyzie wants is to have her belly rubbed.

The huge golden mix, Paco, is ultra-friendly who just does not know his size or strength. We have started to walk him with a halti, as he is a big boy. It didnt take him long at all to walk well with it.

I'm working tomorrow. I'm replacing one of the girls who is taking a day off, so will give you guys an update aftewards.

:pawprint:

Scuba
June 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
All the dogs look really happy.:thumbs up Thank you for what you do.

kiara
June 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Please give the Montreal SPCA a chance. They are under new management and Mr. Barnotti is gone (with $ 4 million missing). It is a new beginning and people should be encouraged to adopt from a place that takes animals in by the HUNDREDS. It covers the island of Montreal. There is never enough money, volunteers and adoptive homes to help so many that come in. It therefore cannot compete with a rural SPCA that takes in only small amouts of animals. I don't know why anyone would try to use it as an example. Am I missing something here??

cpietra16
June 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Please give the Montreal SPCA a chance. They are under new management and Mr. Barnotti is gone (with $ 4 million missing). It is a new beginning and people should be encouraged to adopt from a place that takes animals in by the HUNDREDS. It covers the island of Montreal. There is never enough money, volunteers and adoptive homes to help so many that come in. It therefore cannot compete with a rural SPCA that takes in only small amouts of animals. I don't know why anyone would try to use it as an example. Am I missing something here??

Kiara, I do understand. I wasn't using it as an example. I went the SPCA just a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how they handled Fiona and her babies...they would gladly take them but I should know that they would be PTS due to overcrowding and there was a chance they would get sick....I found them to be not very helpful or encouraging...needless to say I took Fiona and her babies home....but I do understand about the population and lack of volunteers and lack of education.....it really wasn't a put down, just wishful thinking

brianna079
June 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
It was a nice day today, a little hot for my liking, but that kept the flies away so the dogs were really happy outside this morning.

We have a good sized laundry room in the downstairs of our building, which is also equiped with a huge sink for washing the dishes (doggy & kitty dishes of course). So once everyone had been fed, taken out and checked on, I was downstairs washing the morning food dishes, bowls, toys, etc. I was fortunate enough to share the company of Agathe (one of our st-bernard's), as she was the clever one to seek refuge in the nice cool laundry room. I think one of the girls might give her a clipping, as she will feel so much cooler once a bit of that fur is gone.

We have a boston terrier named Bozo at our refuge who has been there a little while. I like to take him for his afternoon walk, but today someone else did, as I was with someone interested in another dog. It has been 2 weeks now that I have been promising him *this is the day* for that special someone to come adopt him. It still hasn't happened yet, although he is a great little dog. He is far from being a puppy, maybe people are turned off because he's a bit older, but come on people! he certainly is not ancient by any means, and he is still spunky and loves to roll in the grass.

So, today was a holiday in La Belle Province in which we reside, and since a lot of people had some time off, we had a lot of volunteers come in to help us today. You have no idea how much the volunteers help. They do a great job! One of our volunteers had aquired a soft spot for one of our Mascots named Rapael (our Mascots are cats which has been at the refuge way too long and no longer lives in a cage or either of the cat houses). Raphael seems to have had a hard life before he came to us but he is really sweet, and the volunteer and her daughter decided to take Raphael home with them today. Yay! It's a good feeling when one of the older cats gets to go to a home.

SIL
June 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Brianna...thanks for all that you do. :thumbs up

I sent you a pm earlier today.

Tundra_Queen
June 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
What a wonderful place u work at! I loved the video too!

Debbie

brianna079
June 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
So when I got to work just before 8am, I had a surprise waiting for me. A poor cat was in a carrier waiting at the front door. Evidently, someone decided that it was not worth them to pay the entrance fee for their cat, so they dropped him off before anyone arrived. Wonderful.

We also noticed that our little boston Bozo was gone. He has been placed with a rescue that works with bostons, it may be easier to place him there.

We had a pretty busy afternoon. By the time I finished for the day, 5 dogs and 1 kitten had found new homes. Yay! The two puppies (Shadow and Zoé) that were left from an abandoned litter found homes. They were only about 3 months old, very sweet and quite intelligent.

Paco, our huge lab cross found a home. He had finally gotten used to walk with his halti, and was walking like a pro for the people who came to visit him. Valentine, a poodle cross saved from a bunch of dogs abandoned by a puppy-mill-type-operation found a home, and Zappa (a 1½ year old rottie cross) also found a home with a young family.

I’m sure we will have new dogs in no time to fill up the empty pens. We already had 2 new dogs by the time I left today. I will give an update once I know more about them.

brianna079
June 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It was somewhat quiet today. Just not as busy as yesterday, that’s all.

Of course the washing machine had to go and break today. Everyone tries to throw in a load when they pass the laundry room, as laundry accumulates really quickly at the refuge. Lots of dog blankets, cat blankets, towels, etc. So needless to say, by this afternoon the laundry was starting to take form of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Right after lunch I took out our husky, Salomon, for his walk and what did I find you might ask? Someone (yet again) left us a box with a mother and 3 (teeny) kittens on the side of the driveway. I have no idea how many cats and kittens we have now. 200 maybe?

I have taken a real liking to one of our mascot cats named Whiskers. Whiskers is long-haired white, grey, and beige. I think she is beautiful – she thinks so as well. Whiskers has her own ideas of what she should do and she decides when to be pet. So each morning I bribe her with some treats and then she will usually negotiate a fair petting

I took out Kalif and Hutch for their walks. Kalif is a little Doberman looking cross. She’s about 5 years old and super sweet. She’s a nice little dog and listens well. Hutch is a lab cross (maybe Great Dane). He’s a very big boy, very sweet and just a bit timid. We had some good walks today.

Our site should be updated tonight or tomorrow with the new dogs available for adoption. We had their pictures taken today.

brianna079
July 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
The last two days have been nice. Not too hot for the doggies, and not too many bugs either.

Yesterday was so quiet at the shelter. Most of the doggie residents are new, and they all went to be sterilised. Usually we are welcomed by loud barking and jumping when we enter the kennel, but yeaterday was so quiet with only a few of them there. We even had some dogs out playing together for the morning in one of the big outdoor enclosures. They usually have fun out there, they can run and play with each other, and they have a little kiddie pool as well.

Our two St-Bernards, Agathe and Lyzzie have been adopted. Yay! One of the girls actually shaved Agathe last week. She looked a little silly, but felt so much better without all that insulation. Hutch (the huge lab/great dane cross) has also found a new home. Our site should be updated within the next day or two I would guess, as most of the dogs at the shelter are new.

Seth and Lugosi (two of our adult cats) found homes this weekend. I like when the adult cats find new homes. We have so many and some have been at the shelter a long time. A few kittens have been adopted as well, but !oh my! we have a lot of kittens!

We have a big white cat named Flocon (snowflake in french) that is generally quiet. He's usually sitting on a window ledge or a shelf (he lives in the large cat room with his buddies), but yesterday morning found himself a little toy and was running around like crazy. I was trying to clean their litters and refill the food and he kept flying by me with his newfound plaything. He's a real cuttie.

Dog Dancer
July 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Bless you and all those who help. It's a wonderful thing you are doing. The video was lovely by the way. Well done.

brianna079
July 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
One of the girls that work in the Health Dept. just left us. My boss called me to ask if I would like to work with the other girl who is in charge of the Health Dept. Cool! :thumbs up

So today I 'shadowed' her around all day to check out eveything they do. We took some cats to the vet this morning, a few were new to us so it was just for an exam and vaccines. A few others was a mom with her kittens who were not feeling so well, they are new to us as well, and who knows where they were before. We also took one young male cat to be sterilised.

First we took care of the cats in Isolation. These are the cats that have a little cold or sometimes not feeling well and we keep them separated from the others. Cats who are sick spread it around to others like wild-fire, and with the amount of cats we have (somewhere around 200 in total) we have to be really careful and separate anyone who we feel might be coming down with something.

Our other section is the Arrivals, where we put our new cats who just arrive. We keep them there until we are satisfied they don't have anything, or else if they are not feeling well, they will get transfered to Isolation. We have a lot of cats in the Arrivals. It still baffles me how many cats show up at our refuge on a daily basis!

I didn't spend too much time in the kennel today, just enough time to notice we have a whole bunch of new dogs! We also got some dogs from another municipality, transfered to us from their local dog catch. I will be taking those guys to the vet first thing Monday for exams and vaccinations.

As soon as these dogs are evaluated, they will be posted on our web-site.

brianna079
July 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I've been peed on by a turtle. A big turtle. And unfortunatly for me she (or he?) seems injured, and tries to snap. The turtle is huge, 15 lbs maybe? The poor thing was sitting in front of the back door to the refuge. Not even in a box. Who drives by after hours and leaves a turtle sitting in front of a door?

Another unfortunate incident was on Saturday someone dropped off 3 kittens at the door during lunch, in a hampster cage. They are tiny, about 4 weeks old or so. The smallest weighed only 12 ounces! They have no interest in solid food and I had to make the tried-tested-and-true kitty replacement mix (evaporated milk, egg yolk, etc.). Once I dipped their chin in, they started eating.

I'm saddened that our little doberman-type cross Kalif is still at the rescue. She is such a smart dog and loves the company of humans. Her only fault is that she is not good with other dogs. I hope someone comes to get her soon.

On a much happier note, an older couple came in to adopt a cat. They asked me to see the kittens. I explained to them, that even though they are absolutly adorable, kittens can be really active, bounce off of things, climb curtains, and the list goes on. They then came to see our older (yet still young at heart) cats in the cat house. The older gentleman took a liking to Mia, a 6 year old Scottish Fold cross who is an absolute sweetheart. So Mia found a new family!

Tundra_Queen
July 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
You do such a great thing and I love the stories about the animals getting adopted!!

Debbie

brianna079
July 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Thank you Tundra_Queen. It is a really good feeling when the animals get placed in loving homes.

Good news. I passed by the shelter yesterday evening, and the other Health Tech told me that Mrs. Turtle most likely came from the water running along the side of the property and she is was not injured.

Also, the 3 orphaned kittens were placed in a foster home until they are old enough to get to the vet for vaccines. We have wonderful people who offer their homes and hearts for any of our animals that may need fostering. We have some kittens placed with people, and even a dog with her litter are placed with someone until they are old enough.

brianna079
July 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Wow, so much has happened in the last few days...where to start...?

We got a litter of 5 puppies the day before yesterday (Brittney, Lori, Medoc, Micheal, Costaud). They look like some kind of Bouvier cross, about 7-8 weeks old. I took them first thing yesterday to get vaccinated and check out at the vets. They all seem in good shape, and without fleas! (i dont think they are up on our site yet, but they are really cute!

We had 2 young cats, Marina and Luba, about 8 months old dropped off last week (outside the door, before we showed up of course). We had them at the vet and Marina is preggo, due any day now. She has been placed with another employee as a foster so she can have her kittens. Luba went along with her to keep her company.

We have another mommy dog with her pups at one of our volunteer's, they will all be going to visit the vet tomorrow. The mommy and one of the pups have already been spoken for, so there is just 4 pups left to place once they are ready to leave their mom.

Tomorrow I will be taking 7 dogs and 2 cats to the animal hospital to be sterilised. 4 of the dogs are from a huge litter that was seized/abandoned and arrived on my first day at the shelter. They were so tiny, and have grown quite a bit. They are super cute. I think the mother was a spaniel cross. They have all since been adopted out (mommy and 11 puppies if memory serves me well), but the pups have now reached the age to be sterilised.

Catarina the cat is now a mascot. She had been sterilised, but then we couldnt take out her stitches. I had to lure her into a pet carrier (trust me this was not an easy task) to take her to the vet to have them removed. Poor girl hissed all the way there. It took the vet, a tech and myself to handle her and take them out. When I got back it was decided she would become part of the mascot family. She actually came in and let us pet her this morning!

Leo the active poodle was adopted last week. It had been a while he was with us, and was due to find a home.

A friend of mine came to visit the shelter the other day and fell in love with Mellie. She had a concern that her teckle might not accept Mellie as the teckle is very dominant. All turned out perfect! The teckle accepted Mellie, and they are super happy with her (the perfect dog, in their words).

Kaliff has yet to find a home. She had lunch with us the other day in the office so she could be around the mascot dogs for a bit. She definatly needs a 1 dog only home - I swear if I didnt have my 2 already I would have bought her home a while ago.

brianna079
July 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
I made a real classless move yesterday. I dont think anybody saw me though, as I'm sure I looked extremely silly.

Right after lunch I took out our sheppard mix Topsey and two huskys Salomom and Garou to put them into our fenced in enclosed so they could have some playtime.

I took Topsey out first, who just trotted along side of me to the enclosure and I put him in. Next I decided to take both Salomon and Garou at the same time. I opened the gate and put Garou in without a problem. Salomon who is a little timid would not go in ahead of me, so I stepped throught the gate and he followed. I took off his leash *before* closing the gate, so he decided to slither out right by me.

Now, although Salomon listens really well, there is usually people driving by and I wouldnt want him to get freaked by a car. Sooo, I slam the gate shut behind me and ran along behind Salomon (who obviously thought this was hilarious). I had just missed grabbing him by half an inch when he jumped over a ditch. What did I do you might be wondering? I jumped after him of course! Then tripped though the ditch, followed by finally catching the poor dog while I *may* have been toppling over.

He's already timid enough, so you could imagine what he thought of me then, with his big eyes staring wide at me. But, I got him back in the enclosure safe and sound. Topsey and Garou might have been laughing at me as well.

Next time I will close the gate before releasing a dog. Lesson learned.

brianna079
July 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Wow, its been a few days since my last post...so much happens on a day to day basis, i dont really know where to start.

First good news: Kaliff has been adopted! YAY! i was so happy when I went in and saw she found a home.

Marine has also been adopted. She was one of the cats that has been at the shelter for a long time, so it was good to see her go. She went home with an older couple with a big house, so whe will have lots of room to roam around.

The last puppy (Costaud) from a litter of 5 found a home, and I beleive the other litter we have that is in a foster home only has 3 puppies left.

Marina and Luba are doing well in their foster home as well. Marina had her kittens (3) and all are doing well. She even lets her buddy Luba cuddle with her and her kittens. how cute!

Topsey, the sheppard cross found a home as well, and Salomon the husky has been transfered to another rescue. I think our environment was a little too busy for him, since he is timid (but what a sweetheart). Wishing Salomon good luck, and hope he will find a forever home soon.

I took a bunch more dogs and one cat to the vet hospital to be sterilised. I took our rottie cross Maki, along with some more older pups that have already been adopted, but returned to be sterilised. They are so big and adorable.

I'm surprised our little schnauzer cross Bony is still with us, I thought she would have been adopted out much sooner, as she is such a nice little dog.

brianna079
August 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Satrurday was surprisingly quiet at the shelter. I guess since it was the first nice day we have had all summer, people were out enjoying their pools or the beach.

We did get some good adoptions this weekend. Speedo was adopted. he had come a long way, very timid and nervous when we got him. now hes pretty outgoing and playful.

Bony the little schanuzer found a home. What a cutie she was!

Two puppies (Sol and Grujo) from one of our fosters came to the shelter. The other three from the littler as well as mommy had already found homes. how cuddly and intelligent they were! they were both adopted out the next day.

Quite a few cats found homes as well. Stripp had been at the shelter for 2 years and someone fell in love with him. What a long deserved home! Fridouille found a home as well. He is declawed and did not like to be handled too much, but someone really liked him and decided he needed a forever home. Orangeade and Hanz were both adopted by a young family.

We have some new dogs as well. Dexie looks like a kind of collie cross. She is so sweet and will follow anyone around who will give her some attention. Pretzel looks like a beagle cross, and shes cute and energetic. Rocky is quite the clown (he is a small mix), and loves to play fetch. I was throwing a squeeky toy down the hallway for him, and he just kept bringing it back - he thought it was the best game ever.

Texas (a rottie cross?) was dropped (litterally) off saturday. The person didn't even have the heart to drive up to the building to dump him. They made a u-turn at the entrance and dumped the dog out, i dont even think they stopped. we finally caught Texas, who was really scared, and we then saw he had a horrible rash. He had such bad fleas that he is missing fur on his back. I took him to the vet, who found he has an ear infection as well as the flea problem. we kept him separated from the other animals until we confirmed with the vet about his rash, and he will most likely get to join the other dogs in the kennel this afternoon or tomorrow (once his treatments kick in effect). He even sat and gave me his paw when I asked. Very sweet poor thing.

I'm going to try and remember my camera to take some random pictures to post of the animals.

Frenchy
August 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Texas (a rottie cross?) was dropped (litterally) off saturday. The person didn't even have the heart to drive up to the building to dump him. They made a u-turn at the entrance and dumped the dog out, i dont even think they stopped.

:mad: poor Texas :sad: but he's probably better off then to be with morons of owners. :shrug: now he will get to be adopted by a nice family :goodvibes:

brianna079
August 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Texas is doing better. His skin from the fleas is getting better and has settled into everyday routine at the shelter. As long as I have a treat for him, he will sit and give his paw.

Toupie, a very intelligent basset was adopted as well as Dexie. Ayah a blond lab cross was also adopted, by the people who adopted the cats Orangeade and Hanz last week.

Gustav has returned to the shelter. I'm not sure of the specifics, but he was not in his home for very long before they returned him. He likes to go exploring if he is not tied up, and the people did not like that he would take off. I dont see what the problem is of keeping a dog on a leash...?

Zoé and Scooby, 2 of our adult cats have been adopted, as well as some kittens.

brianna079
August 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Valentine (a poodle rescued from a puppy-mill operation) has returned to us. She was the last of the puppy-mill rescue dogs to be adopted out, and I guess it did not work out at her new home. She is back with us, and we had to shave her, as her coat was so matted. Poor girl. She is still looking for a forever home.

http://i27.tinypic.com/30uu8gm.jpg

brianna079
August 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
ok, im really not computer illiterate, but i can not for the life of me figure out how to post a picture! :wall: i read the step by step on how to resize, and my pictures are on photobucket...

i dont have all the animals pictures yet, i will slowly but surely add them.
here are my links:

Cats of the SPCALL http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa2/bri79_2007/SPCALL%20-%20cats/

Dogs of the SPCALL http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa2/bri79_2007/SPCALL%20-%20dogs/

brianna079
August 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I stopped by the shelter yesterday evening after i finished work at my other job.

Someone brought in a 2-3 month old retriever cross puppy that was wandering down the highway between the shelter and where I live. Who lets such a young pup wander? she has yet to be claimed, so the owners are probably not really looking for her. She has been named Babette, and 2 people have already filled out adoption applications for her, in the event she is not claimed and we put her thgouh to adoption.

Goblet the puppy that was adopted with his mommy has been returned to us. Poor little guy, I guess the people realised that a puppy is a lot of work. Sad though. People really have to think long and hard before adopting a pet.

On a good note, one of the girls told me that Gustav has been adoptted. Yay! He was a really great dog.

We got a new ventilation system installed in our Arrivals - this is when all new cats are temporarily homed until they see a vet, and we are satisfied that the cat isnt sick. Then they go into adoption. The air is circulating much better in there, so hopefully anything airborn can be circulated out instead of lingering amoung the others in that room. This will be a really big help i think.

We also got a dishwasher in the Arrivals about a week or two ago :thumbs up . This is such a big help, as there is so much dishes to be washed. Since all the animals are new ini that room, we wash everything daily, even if it looks clean, as a cat who could potentially be sick might only show symtoms a few days after arriving.

I will try to post more pictures soon on my photobucket link.

brianna079
August 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
27 new cats. Our arrivals are now completely full. They came from a house in a nearby municipality. Apparently the owner of these poor animals had one or two at first and next thing they knew, they lost control. It took the employees that went 3 trips to get all the cats. Of course non of them are sterilised, and I highly doubt vaccinated. Poor things are all completely in a state of panic. At least they are not 'wild', just really nervous. We will see what the vet has to say on Monday.

Good news: the 2 puppies Babtte and Goblet found new homes.

Even better news: Delta (a 2 year old cat) found a home today! She has been at the shelter since last november, so whe was due to find a family!

brianna079
August 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Those poor cats. So I previously posted that we got 27 cats. We actual;ly got 23 cats the first day. One of which immediatly had 3 kittens and another had 1 kitten. The second day 2 more cats were caught in a trap, as they were too wild to be caught the first day. So head count when I left last night was 29, but another female looked like she was ready to have a litter. Its not like we have enough cats anyways :rolleyes: Head count in total yesterday was 209 cats we have :eek:

Most of the cats were never handled, so it was really fun to put collars on them and weigh them. A lot of growling and hissing, but none are actually mean cats. And most of the females or prenant too. Poor things. I hope they settle down quickly.

brianna079
August 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Some great news! the cats we got are really starting to come around! they love being petted and really enjoy our company. i think there is only a few that are still really nervous and unsure of us.I took 2 of the males, Gucci & Gateau (cake in french), to be sterilised yesterday. They should soon be in adoption. They are almost all sterilised now - since we can only take a few at a time to the vet for the surgery. We are almost done! :thumbs up

Lexie the Malinois Sheppard cross has finally found a home! she had been with us much too long and she was starting to be unhappy. I hope it all works out for her!

Zoé the cat came back to us. She had been adopted out (not too long ago), and they said something was wrong with her. We brought her to the the vet who found a small abcess at the base of her tail. the vet was able to give it a treatment and she is healing us just fine. the people apparently dont want to have anything to do with her anymore. Poor Zoé! i'm sure she will find a home in no time. she is one of our very few declawed cats, and people often ask if we have adults that are already declawed.

A poor dog (blond lab cross?) we named Eddy was dumped off not far from the shelter. when he was finally caught, the first thing that was noticed was that his hind dewclaws had grown so long that they were wrapped around the dewclaw itself and dug back into the other side. I took him to the vet Monday, and poor Eddy was such a champ when the vet got him up on the table and we layed him down. the vet trimmed the dewclaw as best he could and the dog never even budged.

I took Flocon (our huge white cat) out of the 'community cat room' to treat him for an eye infection. not sure how that happened as the day before he was feeling 100%.

Another piece of great news. We got a bigger outdoor dog enclosure! The fence has been there for a while, but trees and stuff had to be removed and new dirt was put in, so now they have an even bigger outdoor pen to play in!

eskimoroll
August 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hi brianna, I just wanted to tell you I really enjoy this thread - you folks are awesome!!

brianna079
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Eddy has been adopted! that was fast!

We got a new dog, a 4-1/2 month old german sheppard named Angel. She is really sweet, but is missing some socializing and basic command skills...she is a great little (actually, she is going to be huge!) puppy, but will be looking for some responsable owners who will have time for her education.

I took a dog named Faron to the vet yesterday to have a sore checked out. he had this sore on top of his head, the vet said looked like a hot-spot but it got infected. we got antibiotics for him so he will be just fine.

Shooter (cute little bichon cross) went playing is some *pic-pics* (not sure what we really call them) the other morning, and he now has some stuck on his chin. I tried taking them off, but they are really matted on there...I guess he will have to be shaved.

Magnolia (a diluted calico) has been adopted. yay! the gentleman came in looking for a cat, and wanted to adopt someone who has been at the shelter a while. I introduced them, and was honest with him and said that she was getting fed up of being at the shelter. he really liked her and decided she deserved to go home with him. i loooove those stories!

Fish (a small black female cat with a blind eye), found a home as well.

We got a (surprise) makeover from a tv show called Changez de Decor! They made over our office/entrance! The office was off limits for 2 days but they did a really nice job. We even got *gifts* for the animals - new beds, feed dishes, etc. What a great surprise! Not sure when it will air, but probably only in a few months.

brianna079
September 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hi brianna, I just wanted to tell you I really enjoy this thread - you folks are awesome!!

thank you eskimoroll!

brianna079
September 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
wow! I stopped by the shelter today to see how everyone was doing and there are a whole bunch of new faces! half the dogs in the kennel I havent seen before (I was last in on Monday). We have a young Pitt Bull, a Griffon, a chocolate lab, black lab, a little terrier - among everyone else. I hope to get some pictures up tomorrow.

some more good news. our Rescue cats are starting to move out into adoption. So far Raton, Appy, Anou, Aqua, Hollywood, Havane, Gateau, and Gucci are all out in adoption and are doing well. Hollywood is soooo affectionate, and Gateau loves to be brushed! Those cats are really coming along nicely. There are still a bunch of them that we are working on. There are a few that are still quite a challenge to even pet.

Two female cats from the Rescue that had kittens are going into foster this weekend. Echo's kitten has affectionatly been named Swimmer, and Java's kittens have been named Latte, Nougat and Pommette.

brianna079
September 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
As members of the caacQ, we will be participating in the next event. We will be coming with cats (although we will have information about the dogs at the shelter). I'm not sure how many we will be taking with us, but wish us luck. These wonderful animals need forver loving homes!

Pawfect Match Adoption Day
Date of event: September 26th, 2009 from 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.

Pawfect Match Adoption Day event is happening on Saturday, September 26th, 2009 from 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.. The following organisations will be at this event:

Centres d’adoption membres des CAACQ et refuges
Animatch [CAACQ]
Ligue des lévriers extraordinaires [CAACQ]
Pension du Jardin Secret [CAACQ]
Refuge R & R [chevaux]
Rosie Animal Adoption [CAACQ]
Secours Lapins Québec
SPCA Laurentides Labelle [CAACQ]
For more information:

Auberge Zen
1875, rue Fortin
Laval (Québec), H7S 1P1

brianna079
September 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
We had fun at the Pawfect Match adoption clinic - met some really nice people. We took 2 dogs with us and almost 20 cats. Tequila, a little silver poodle cross found a forever home, as did 2 of our cats Kochka and Razor. We even brought cats from foster homes with us. Really would have liked Luba and her kitten Patsy to be adopted (check out one of my previous entries on this post), but they ended up returning to their foster home.

A girl who visited our booth at the adoption clinic really admired our big orange cat Tybert, but then decided not to adopt him. I guess she thought about is some more over night because she showed up at the shelter right after lunch to pick him up. yay! I'm sure Tybert will will be super happy with her, she has 2 other cats and Tybert loves the company of other cats.

The pittbull Chipper is so cute. He has an abundance of energy - he is almost like the energizer bunny! Texas the rottie corss is still with us. I would love to see him find a home soon, he is such a sweet dog. He has mellowed out quite a bit since he first arrived.

A girl that used to work with us for a while came and took a few pictures of some of our dogs for our website. She is a really talented photographer and her pictures turned out really well!

brianna079
October 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM
it has been so long since I have had a chance to post about our animal friends at the shelter, i dont know where to start!

first off, a HUGE thank you to the volunteers who spent an entire weekend throwing up a fresh coat of paint in the shelter and doing a wonderful clean-up. it was quite hectic that weekend...lots of people moving about and they did a wonderful job!

a little sad news though - 2 of our mascots recently went missing. our mascots are cats that have been at the shelter a long time, and they are no longer restricted to a cage or either of the communtiy cat rooms. Both of these cats, Tux and Flake, were wonderful, sweet cats and i am pretty sure someone just picked them up. :( neither of them were wanderers, and I know Tux used to take naps in cars if the windows were opened.

we have 2 (black) retriever puppies (about 5 months?) Cory and Fenu looking for loving homes. These dogs are brilliant, of course they still need to work on their obediance skills, but they are such wonderful dogs. Fenu came to us with something wrong with his leg. The vet was supposed to take xrays on tuesday to see what is wrong and what can be done for him.

we have a Griffon named Laika. she is a great dog. listens pretty well and waiting for a family to take her home.

Gaston the chocolate lab is really nice too. he is a little round, and it wouldnt hurt to lose a pound or two, but he is a fun dog (around 5 yrs).

Sumo the 10 year old sheltie is adorable! he too could lose a pound or two as he is pretty round. an employee took him home temporarily until he is adopted, and she said he is really good in the house. doesnt mess, is a quiet dog, and enjoys his daily strolls.

The cats Shishi, Anthony, Tybert, Charlotte, Fuzz, Zoé, Nappy, Stevo, among many others have found homes!