Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My poor stray!

chico2
June 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
This pics are really bad,but they were taken through my window.
He will run away if I get close:sad:
I usually put his food out around 6pm,but yesterday I looked out around 7pm and he was laying stretched out by the empty dish,I am pretty sure the Calico from a few houses away had eaten his food.
He looked up at me,he has the saddest face:cry: ,I sooo wish he would not be so afraid of me.
Of course I went out and gave him some more food,he took off but returned as soon as I was back inside.
It's hard to decide what to do about him,I have kind of decided to let him be until the colder weather and then try to trap him.
I give him twice of what my cats would eat in one serving and he gobbles it up.
He looks scruffy and something is wrong with his face,so I know he would never get adopted,I'll let him be free for the summer,I don't want him out there for another cold winter.
Gosh it's difficult,I so want to show him,not all people are mean:cry:

Jim Hall
June 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
if you put his food out and sit a few feet away will he come to his food?

chico2
June 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Jim,no,he won't even come out if he sees me:cry:
But maybe at the end of the summer,I hopefully can go near him,maybe even pet him,we'll see.
He was around when I trapped the grey/white cat in late winter,he was actually sitting by the trap watching the trapped kitty.
Maybe they were friends.:confused:

Tundra_Queen
June 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Awwwww chico...bless you! That would break my heart watching a stray kitty go hungry. I'm so glad he has found you. Do u put water out for him too? I'm sure u do. I hope he will not be as scared of you by the end of the summer..poor little guy, just breaks my heart.

Debbie

TacoGrl
June 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
:fingerscr that he starts to trust you when he learns that you = food.

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Poor kitty :sad: thank god you're there to feed him ! :angel:

Dee-O-Gee
June 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
How long has he been coming around--since winter?

I commend you for leaving him food and hopefully he will see who his true friend is. :angel:

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Chico - hubby is building me that new enclosure. And I am gutting the small shed and redoing the inside. How about if your stray is still around when it starts getting cold we try trapping him and he will have a home here? I am sure it will be better than worrying about him. I can get him into my vet as well to see what he has to say.
Bless you for what you do for him and all the others mf.

chico2
June 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Thank you all and TQ,yes,I give him fresh water too.
He's been around for a long time,I don't even know if he's a he or not:confused:
He looks like he's been in a few scuffles,that's why I thought he's a boy.

14+,I would never ask you to take him,you certainly have enough of your own,but you are very sweet to offer.
I've seen him cross the street with my heart in my throat,but he watches until it's clear to do so,of course one day he might misjudge:cat:
Even if he gets only one meal a day and I give him a lot,I am hoping he's doing better.

Melinda
June 23rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
chico, what if you sit near the screen (from the pic) and talk while he eats so he'll get use to you talking to him...would that help him learn to trust you more?

chico2
June 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Melinda,I've done that,he looks straight at me and continues eating,but if I walk outside,off he goes,only to return a little later when I'm gone.
I don't want to disturb him too much,I want him to eat.
Maybe one day,he will realize I mean him no harm.:fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Chico, stories like this break my heart. That poor cat, abandoned and hungry. Thank goodness he came your way.

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
if you put his food out and sit a few feet away will he come to his food?

Have the stinkiest food around and don't face the kitty. You will be surprised how brave a kitty will be when it is hungry. Also, they can sense a human who is kind and gentle so I think you may have some luck ;).

:grouphug::grouphug: to you, chico.

BenMax
June 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Just heartbreaking. My sister is going through the same thing. She now feeds 3 strays and 2 out of three must have belonged to someone at some point. She has the trust of 1 for sure and the other is getting more friendly. The third - no way! She is torn about this but she is determined to get them vetted and hopefully at some point I can help her with adoption.

You are such a caring and wonderful person!:grouphug:

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Naw chico, I was talking about for the winter. If you don't want him outside for another winter then it's a not so bad solution. He would have the small house to himself. We are putting windows in it so it will be much better. If he is as bad as you think he may not have much hope at a shelter. :shrug:
You don't have to worry about it now. Lots of time. You are doing a great thing looking after him. :highfive:

chico2
June 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Yes,they do break your heart,cats are supposed to be loved,spend their lives purring in someones lap,have food and a nice place to call home:sad:

14+.I will give him the summer,at least he's not cold,when fall comes along I'll trap him.
There seems to be something wrong with his face,his jaw,but he eats fine.
Maybe he'll warm up to me eventually,I hope so:pray: