Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little (big) cat problem.

JennieV
June 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
I find myself a little confused and torn about this, but here goes:

About a week ago we got a visitor - a huge orange tabby, that jumped on our front window and freaked Max right out. (Max has a window shelf attached, its his favorite sunny spot...he is an "indoor only" cat) there was alot of hissing and growling and screaming, but the cat ran away as soon as I came outside. I know who the cat "belongs" to, a lady 2 streets down, she just feeds it, but won't take any further responsibility. The cat is feral, won't let me touch it or even the lady herself for that matter. I gave the lady my small crate to try and catch the cat, but no luck so far.

Yesterday the problem escalades: the cat is back, but this time he literally HANGS on my window screen, all the while actively trying to rip it off and get to Max. Max is TOTALLY freaked out, runs and hides while crying out real loud, the orange tabby is still yeowling and hissing. Again, as soon as I came out - he took off running.

At this point I cannot open the window anymore, because the screen is totally destroyed, its hanging by a thread and I am afraid that one more healthy tug on it will tear it right off. Max spent last night under the couch. Even when I coaxed him out and took him into the bedroom, he was growly and very very tense. As soon as I let him go - he went and hide again, so I just left him alone.

I am torn because I don't want anything happen to my cat but I also feel for the tabby and wish I could help him. I think the cat may be a possible health hazard, who knows if it has any disease or even rabies?

What I was thinking of a couple of things: taping some aluminium foil onto my window, not sure how much that would deter the cat. Another thing would be to get a cat trap and try to capture the cat, but I know him, he's been around for at last 2 years in our neighbourhood, he is super-smart.

I can't keep my windows shut all year round and keep my kitty stressed like this, does anyone have any ideas or input on how to deal with it? My very "humane" neighbour suggested shooting it...:frustrated: I said I'd rather shoot him (the neighbour) in the butt. :shrug:

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
The only thing I can think of is to get a trap and try to trap him. Maybe put it right under the window the cat is attacking.
If the neighbour is not taking responsibility for him then I don't know why you can't take him to a shelter. A good one of course. If he is terrorizing Max he must be doing it to other cats in the area as well. That is not fair to anyone. It's hard to say what he is doing to outside cats he gets hold of.
For the screen - can you replace it with a pet screen? It is stronger than ordinary stuff. Made for kitty claws. I don't think putting anything on it is going to stop this guy if he is determined to get to Max. :shrug:

Jim Hall
June 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
gotta trap it may take a wahile but having you indppr pets freak is not good at all this is indelicate but put some human urine and the ground by the window that may keep him/her away

sugarcatmom
June 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
You could try something like CatStop (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=59764&cat=2,51555&ap=1) or a motion-activated sprinkler (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=44958&cat=2,51555&ap=2) to keep him away, but that would cost a few bucks. Maybe some CatScat mats (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10302&cat=2,51555&ap=2) under the window in question will prevent him from jumping on that one in particular. That's if you aren't able to trap him.

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Jennie is the cat Neutured and why would he display such an agressive behavior...if you need a trap ..pleaase let me know. I can get it too you ASAP

adammo
June 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
We had a feral guy come around our house quite a bit about a month ago. He didn't back dwon from my cat (most do), but he didn't attack either. I just used the old clapping technique to scare it off. It would keep going under the shed and then come back out when I left. It took a while, but it no logner lurks around our house (i've seen it at other houses across the street though).

JennieV
June 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Jennie is the cat Neutured and why would he display such an agressive behavior...if you need a trap ..pleaase let me know. I can get it too you ASAP

I don't think he is neutered. Max is. Max is also timid, but doesn't like other cats, therefore I don't have ny other kitties. I don't know why the tabby is so aggressive, but I have heard cat yeowls all around our neighbourhood, so I am guessing he fights quite abit.

Cpietra, the more I think of it, the more I am convinced that there is no other way, I will probably have to trap him. What do I do then? I mean, do I bring him to SPCA? :sad::sad: :confused:

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
well from my expereince..the SPCA will put him down, unless he's young and even then they may put him down due to the population. I can look in to the catch and release program for you...or if the lady who feed him is also willing to get him neutured...and just keep him as an outdoor cat...at least he may settle down and won;t reporduce.

JennieV
June 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I will speak to her tonight and let you know where she stands.

She was not very nice about it when I complained to her the first time...But given the choice, she may be okay with that option. As long as the cat stops being a threat to himself and others, I am fine with that.

I would also prefer not to involve the SPCA, I guess thats why I feel so torn about it.

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
I hear you...and that is why I have 12 cats........its a ficious cycle....don;t start. I wanted to save one and then another....and before you know it.....you are ....ME:wall:
Which by the way am still looking for homes for my 12 year old boy and a few littel kittens.....any takers....:rolleyes:

Tundra_Queen
June 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hi

I would cover the window up for the next few days and see if he gets bored and stops bothering your cat. Also try and trap it and get it neutered like others have suggested.You could also try put some pennies in a pop can and shake it at the cat from inside the house when he comes back. It wills care him, may also scare your own cat though.

Debbie

JennieV
June 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ok, here's a little update about our friend...His name is Scruffy. He is in a terrible condition, all full of scratches and bumps and one BIG oozing something on his neck, guessing major infection.:sick: He would not let me see it closer. Poor boy...

The lady that feeds him also gives him shelter in her heated garage, but she can't take him in as she already got 2 strays that she took in. She doesn't want this one inside, but doesn't mind if he comes. After a long talk, she finally agreed that I would come pick him up and bring him to get looked at. (and neutered)

CPietra, I PMed you, please check.

Jim Hall
June 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
your an angel and so is your friend

Tundra_Queen
June 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Jennie, thank u for trying to help Scruffy. And also thank you to that kind lady who has been feeding him and giving the poor fella shelter. I hope u can trap him.

Debbie

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Jennie I will call you in the morning....