Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fur changing texture, length?

MargaretF
June 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows about a dog's fur growing or changing. I have a 9-1/2 year old dalmation named Sydney. She is a purebreed dal. She has always had very short hair but recently (within the last six months) her fur has grown and gotten very fluffy. To give you an idea, it's gone from a 1/2 inch to maybe 2 inches. She looks like a teddy bear. She is a very healthy (but older) pup. Any ideas why all of a sudden her fur would grow like that? Has that happened to anyone else? Thank you!

Dr Lee
June 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
In a middle aged pet who has a marked change to their fur coat, it is important to rule out any endocrine changes. Changes with thyroid, adrenal disorders (Cushing's and Addison's), diabetes need to be ruled out. Furthermore liver and kidney disorders should be ruled out. Luckily most of these can be looked at with a general blood panel. Has one been performed in the last 6 months?

If those have been ruled out then primary dermatologic issues and diet should be evaluated. I assume your pet has not been placed on any medications recently?

Hope that helps. :pawprint: