Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old cat - litter box problem

Don Dickson
June 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have a 19-year old cat who has gone blind and moves pretty slow but is apparently still in very good health. But recently she has developed a litter box problem and I haven't found a solution. She gets into the box, but then she sticks up her derriere and urinates over the side on to the floor. I've tried angling the box in different directions, and I've tried sloping the kitty litter inside the box to try to get her rear end below the height of the side panel, but so far all to no avail. I thought of purchasing one of those litter boxes with a lid and an open space to enter and exit, but I'm not sure she could find her way into it, and even if she did, she might still hang her butt out the door and urinate on the floor!

If you have any other ideas I'd be very, very grateful. Mopping cat pee is getting old faster than she is.

Thanks!

Don Dickson
Austin, Texas

sugarcatmom
June 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Don, welcome to pets.ca!

That's quite the senior citizen you've got there. She quite likely has arthritis and this might be causing her some discomfort when crouching to urinate. There are some supplements you can try that improve joint function, like Cosequin (glucosamine/chondroitin), Dasuquin, MSM, Omega 3 fatty acids, etc. Pain meds and acupunture are other options. Your vet should be able to help with that.

As for the litter box, there are some that have high sides with a shallower entrance, but even that might be a problem because of her blindness. What about putting absorbant puppy pads around the box so that if/when she does spray over the side, it's easier to clean up.

Don Dickson
June 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Many thanks for those suggestions. Regarding the omega-3 oils, I bought some a while back because she had started to get dandruff on her back -- the bottle promised me she would love the taste -- they lied. :-)

The dandruff has been dramatically reduced with frequent brushing, which I imagine stimulates the oil-producing glands in the skin. But this peeing over the side of the box thing....ugh....frustrating! Thanks again!

If anyone else has any brilliant ideas, I'm all ears! ^OO^

Don

sugarcatmom
June 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Many thanks for those suggestions. Regarding the omega-3 oils, I bought some a while back because she had started to get dandruff on her back -- the bottle promised me she would love the taste -- they lied. :-)

Ya, my cat doesn't like them either. Too fishy (he's not a fish fan). What I do is buy capsules from a health food store (less likely to go rancid) and put a few drops in with something super tasty and stinky, like plain chicken baby food.

The dandruff has been dramatically reduced with frequent brushing, which I imagine stimulates the oil-producing glands in the skin.

Brushing can certainly help, as well as more moisture in the diet. What does your kitty eat? If it's mostly dry food, do you think she'd go for some quality canned food?

Tundra_Queen
June 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hi
I know Rubbermiad is suppose to sell a litter box with higher sides.

I use just a regular rubbermiad tote because the sides are higher than normal litter boxes and I have a big cat that has started to spray over the sides a bit.

It's amazing that she is 19, blind and she can still find the litter box though!

Debbie

chico2
June 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I too have Rubber-Maid boxes for my cats,but one of my cats sometimes does not sit down to pee,so it goes on the floor.
But the higher sides might be difficult for your kitty
My boxes are in the basement,so I sprinkle the area with bakingsoda then sweep it up.
With your blind old girl,there's not really much you can do,I think the puppy-pads are a great idea.

Don Dickson
June 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ol' Gracie's got canned and dry food available to her on demand, and sometimes I'll add some chicken broth to the canned food to freshen it up. She seems to like that a lot. She loves Fancy Feast chicken florentine....I'm not sure I'll ever be able to order chicken florentine in a restaurant again. :-)

Heading out today in search of puppy pads and supplements. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Don

chico2
June 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
:laughing::laughing:well,if she likes chicken florentine,it must be good.:cat:
Good luck with the little old girl,it must be difficult for her to pee on the right spot,since she's blind,so don't get too upset with her,ok:cat:

Don Dickson
June 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Oh no, I can't be mad at her. She's USING the box. It's just frustrating mopping cat pee twice a day or more.

The puppy pads were a GREAT idea, thanks so much for that suggestion. It's been so long since I owned a dog, let alone housebroke a puppy, I never would've thought of that on my own. It's still a little too early to know for sure, but puppy pads may have extended ol' Gracie's life expectancy indefinitely. :thumbs up

Got her some cosequin, too, we'll see if that loosens up the ol' joints.

Thanks again to all of you for your great ideas! I was at my wit's end....and now I'm not! :cloud9:

Don

chico2
June 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I am glad it's working out,a lot of things start falling apart as you age(I know:laughing:),that goes for kitties too:cat:

Don Dickson
July 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
The puppy pads are still working out pretty well. But I'm sorry to say that ol' Gracie is showing several signs of CDS (cognitive dysfunction syndrome....kitty Alzheimer's). Every once in a while she goes on these sojourns where she'll make four or five laps around the living room, and she's been venturing into parts of my home she doesn't customarily venture to....and then of course, because she's blind, and hasn't memorized those areas very well, she seems to get lost.

But she's still happy to see me when I get home, and she still wigs out on catnip, and she still eats and drinks and grooms and at least STANDS in the box to pee....so it's all good. She had a trip to the vet last week, and the vet said her blood work was "awesome" but did identify a knee joint that is either terribly arthritic or potentially cancerous.

But all in all, Gracie's hangin' in there....sometimes better than her Daddy. :thumbs up

chico2
July 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Don,thank's for the update,it seems little old Gracie,is a tough little girl and very lucky to have a daddy who understands and loves her:grouphug: