Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Air Canada to Allow Pets in the Cabin July 1

diandpat
June 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
This is a topic that comes up a lot around here:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090617/cabin_pets_090617/20090617?hub=Canada

Interesting!

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
:thumbs up Thats good news to hear! :D

Corrie
June 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I just sent Air Canada a thank you e-mail! I travel from Toronto to Florida with my Westie and I had to fly with West Jet..nice to know again now I have a choice!!!

YEA!!!:thumbs up

diandpat
June 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I just sent Air Canada a thank you e-mail! I travel from Toronto to Florida with my Westie and I had to fly with West Jet..nice to know again now I have a choice!!!

YEA!!!:thumbs up

Just curious...how did you like WestJet? Will you go back to AC or stay with WJ?

Corrie
June 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I thought West Jet and Air Canada were pretty interchangeable as far as service and comfort are concerned. The flight from Toronto to Florida is only about 3 hours so it goes by quickly.

I am happy now that I will have some choices..if Air Canada has better flight times or better dates available now at least I can fly with them.

I have taken my little Westie, Charlotte, MANY times on the aircraft with me and she is as good as gold… never makes a peep, of course stays in her travel case the entire time and then we arrive in Florida my husband gets the bags and Charlotte goes with me outside and pees on a palm tree and we are good to go!
:laugh:

Corrie
June 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Just got a response e-mail back from Air Canada re: my thank you e-mail...if anyone wants to do the same...send them an e-mail to let them know you appreciate the change!

Dear Corrie

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our pet in cabin policy.

Many of our animal loving passengers are pleased to see that a limited amount of cats and dogs are allowed to travel with their owners onboard once more on certain flights and routes.

I can understand how disappointed you were in that you weren't able to take along your beloved Westie, Charlotte, with you. (They are my mom's favourite breed!)

In the past, we (my family and I) travelled with our guinea pig, "Peanut" from Calgary to Windsor and back. It honestly didn't faze the little guy, and he loved being served our salads in his cage and would chortle happily for anyone who came to see or pet him (flight attendants thought it was the neatest thing). He was a pampered pig, and it was reassuring to bring him along on our family vacations.

Before you book your flights, please refer to our website for any upcoming changes or announcements, or for more information regarding the policy.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/pets.html

We are pleased that you and Charlotte will be travelling with us in the near future!

Sincerely,

Faye Delorme
Customer Relations

JennieV
June 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Awesome news!!! Now, if I choose to take my poor little bugger with me instead of unloading him onto someone else for care - its AMAZING!! :thumbs up

NoahGrey
June 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
This is good news.

ACO22

Bearsmom
June 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I can't WAIT till the day that the big dogs get to ride in the cabin.

I also can't wait for the day that I can take my dogs into the Eaton's center/Vaughan Mills/any store (I saw two tiny breeds being walked on leashes through the Sears store at the Eaton's center last weekend), and no one appeared to notice.

I can't wait till they start treating ALL dogs the same.

LittleLoves
June 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Oooh...that's good (for cat owners) but bad for me! :o

I have a severe allergy to cats. I have Asthma, and just being next to a cat owner in an enclosed space causes me to wheeze and close up. I hope they really do limit the number on each flight.

...but yay for you cat owners! LOL (don't want to be debbie-downer)

joeysmama
June 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
This is good news for me. At least I hope it is. I'm adopting a little girl from Manitoba. Her current owner is willing to drive her down to Minnesota if I can get someone to drive her home from there. I know a few people who go back and forth from here (new jersey) to there to see family, and to take their kids to school, but so far no takers for my furry little hitch hiker. Maybe my son will need to go up that way on business one day soon and if he does I'll tell him to book with Air Canada.

marko
July 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
just heard today that Air canada is allowing cats and small dogs in the cabin with passengers. They have been waffling over this issue for a few years already. One year yes, one year no.

Obviously I'm a big time pet lover, but I'm not sure this move makes business sense. Like many others, I have a cat allergy....which is a popular allergy. Who wants to sneeze and suffer after paying many hundreds of dollars for a flight? Plus what about the potential for loud meowing and barking...?
I'm ALL for pets on the same flight, I'm just not sure the cabin is a fair place for them to be.:2cents:

BenMax
July 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I am certain that the policy will change as there will be MANY people complaining.

Personally it does not affect me, but for others I am sure this may be a hinderance and an intolerance.

Marco - personally the meowing or barking is less offensive than crying, whining kids that kick the back seat and parents who just let it happen.

If I heard correctly, there is another airline specifically for animals.

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 10:43 AM
wow, nice to see that AirCanada is finally stepping up their customer service (the letter they sent back to Corrie). They seem to have a bad reputation for customer service in the past.
I can see both sides of the coin on this one. It will be nice for those travelling with small pets, but at the same time not so nice for those non-animal lovers.

marko
July 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
whining kids...trust me they are far more annoying than pets..but we can't make the same types of rules for kids. They should still (unfortunately for the unruly ones) be allowed in the cabin with their parents/guardians.;)

I think the airline for pets only is an American one so it is not a great solution for most people traveling to most places.

Maybe A/C should consider letting people know which flights have pets at the time of booking. Some flights could have pets and others could be pet free...

I can see this being a recipe for disaster in many cases....:2cents: