Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten Cloudy Eye

beccabboo
June 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hello... My kitten is almost 9 mo old and has a cloudy eye that she got when she woke this morning. I've been reading on how it can be several type of bacterial infections, etc. I also found that Terramycin is an ointment that treats many of these infections. What I am thinking is that if I give her this ointment, this will most likely cure whatever she has. Then, if this doesn't seem to help, I could take her to the vet where they can look further into what it could be. What I am asking is if I give her this and it is Glacoma or something that will not be remedied by this, the eye will continue to be cloudy or something... I know most likely this is just an infection, but I just don't want to give her this, the cloudiness goes away, everything is fine... and then years later she has Glacoma that can't be corrected... Please let me know. Thank you. :confused:

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The only way you'll know how to treat the eye is to find out what exactly is causing the cloudiness--and I'm afraid that means a vet visit. Depending on what the cause is, if you pick the wrong treatment you risk doing damage. And waiting to see if the ointment works might be tragic if it turns out that the proper treatment done immediately might have cured your kitten's problem...

About the only safe thing for eyes is to rinse them with sterile saline solution--you can pick it up at any pharmacy or at places like Wal*Mart. But saline won't cure an underlying problem, just soothe the eye temporarily. So your best bet is to take her to a vet as soon as you can for an evaluation. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
June 17th, 2009, 02:17 AM
The eyes are a very delicate organ that needs to be treated with caution, the best option for you is a vet visit before you treat with any medication as there are always potential risks and side effects.

JennieV
June 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I am afraid I am going to join the chorus of voices that tell you to go visit a vet. As Growler mentioned, the eyes are a very very sensitive area and you don't want to mess with them (as with any other part of the body). Just imagine it was you or your human child, what would you do?