Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby Pigeons (Photos & Updates)

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Here are some new pics of my babies, Ozzy & Reno (they gave me thier names, I had no part in it, lol). First is a pic of their new digs, a giant rabbit/guinea pig cage with a rubbermaid tub in it, filled with fabric & a ceramic dog dish filled with shavings. Babies are great at poopinbg over the sides of thier "nest", making it much easier to clean ;) Heat lamp is set on other side of the cage, close but not right over them (as it's not a controlled heat, and I don't want to cook the babies). They sleep much better now, don't get cold and are eating more :)

Second and Third are of Ozzy & Reno, Fighting around dinner time yesterday, lol. They did have different colored beaks but are now almost identical in shape and size. So, I will figure out who they are in the next couple of days, as their feathers "poofed" last night (they no longer look like nekkid birdies, lol).

More to come :)

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Ozzy & Reno again. Dinner time last night. They like being fed in that bowl with shavings in it - they don't flop around and make a mess, lol. These kiddos are awesome! I love being their Momma - they are learning quickly (one finger snap is the call to come over here - I hope to keep using it when they start flying). :cloud9:

More pics later when I feed them again :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Aww, they're cute! What do you feed baby pigeons?

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Right now they are getting a mix of: oatmeal, baby food (veggie & fruit), flax, cracked bran & soaked rabbit food (just a bit, to get the grains they need). This is mixed with water until it's kinda a thick pea soup/stew type consistency. I got the mix from reading online and talking with locals who hand raise all kinds of birds (doves, pigeons, cockatiels, parrots, etc).

I use a water bottle (2 cup), filled with the mix, warmed to body temp. I cut a bit of rubber glove to fit over the top (fixed with elastics), cut a tiny hole in it (big enough to get their beaks in with it spilling over them). They eat like crazy out of that, much better than using the syringe idea. When I used the syringe, it would take 45 mins to feed them both, now it taks about 15 mins, and that includes clean up :thumbs up This morning they each ate about 1/2 cup of mash, and were still willing to eat more! Their crops were nicely filled, so I have to watch them as they won't stop eating, lol. But this way I only feed them every 4 1/2 - 5 hours, and they are growing rapidly! Both are the same size now, very difficult to tell them apart, lol.

It's work, but you know, they are worth it :cloud9:

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
That's great. How wonderful of you to help them like this.

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah I couldn't leave them to die :sad: Besides, it would have been illegal for the Mall to leave them to die, as well the local SPCA & Wildlife Park couldn't do anything for them (SPCA said let them die, there's too many already :mad:). So my brother called me and I went up there to get them. They are doing great and are very sweet boogers :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
(SPCA said let them die, there's too many already :mad:)

I wonder sometimes about some of these organizations. How compassionate are they really?

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I hear yah! I worked with one for many years - I eventually had to quit because of the idiots I worked with (and legislation from head office). I prefer to help out smaller organizations now, less heartbreak and stress (IMHO).

chico2
June 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
TwinTails,I have about 30 Pigeons coming to my feeders every day,but have never seen a young one or a baby.
It will be great to watch these guys grow,hopefully with your care they'll be fine:fingerscr
I don't understand how they could say"let them die,there are too many already",every life is precious.
There is too many people in the world,don't feed them,let them die:evil:
I don't understand how any wild-life people can think that way..
We love"our"Pigeons,some are really beautiful,especially the white ones,or speckled white/gray ones also,they eat all the left-over seeds on the ground,which is great.

Melinda
June 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
you are doing such a wonderful job, I love seeing the pics, and "too many of them" we're over populated but we still keep having children....*L* I love my pigeons that come here to eat

chico2
June 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Melinda,you should see all ours,in the winter we have sometimes up to 45 Pigeons.
They are kind enough not to poop on our car:laughing:
In the summer they are less,but we love to sit and watch them.
It really gets to me when people say,too many Bears,too many wolves or whatever:evil:

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Oh I agree! Too many...well maybe humans should stop reproducing at outrageous rates *coughoctomomcough* :laughing:

But they are doing great. I just went out and bought them some baby cereal (wheat, rye, corn, millet, etc) with oils, vitamins and fruit. Perfect for these babies :cool: They will get some of this mixed with their oatmeal mash later today :) More pictures will come as soon as I cool off and relax a bit (helping my parents move the last of their stuff out of our place).

chico2
June 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM
TT,looking forward to more pics:thumbs up

dogcatharmony
June 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
oh goodness they are adorable. I look forward to seeing more pics of them growing up. Soooo cute.

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Alrighty, here are more pics! The babies seemed to enjoy their new pablum better than the oatmeal mush. I added a bit of the mush to the pablum, just to cool it a bit and hopefully not upset their tummies (I'm not sure if birds can have digestive upsets like cats or dogs when switiching foods :confused:). Anyways, they are now walking around their rubbermaid tube, heading to the bowl of shavings to warm up and then wander around to inspect things. Do pigeons like toys? Maybe I should invest in some bird-safe craft supplies (leather, wood balls, cubes, bells, etc).

Anyways, on to the pics!

First is Ozzy. He's very calm compared to Reno. He waits in the feeding "nest" until I bring the bottle close to him. He eats easily, though does protest when I remove it ;)

Next is Reno. She is visably smaller than Ozzy, so that at least helps me a bit. Though unless I am looking directly at them (face to face), I can't see any difference in size. She is a screamer! Even after she was full, she was flapping around protesting the removal of the food :laughing: She's a bit of a drama queen ;) I may have to call her Diva :p

Last is them together. Ozzy was walking around the table top, pecking at the camera, and harassing my hands :lovestruck: Reno was still screaming for more food, but Ozzy was quite satisfied with just hanging out :)

Anyways, enough of my blabbering, enjoy the pics!

Melinda
June 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see a picture of them eating if thats possible, I want to see your invention *L* keep up with the pics, Im enjoying them!!

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Sure thing! I will take pics of them feeding tonight. For now here are pics of the bottle :)

The water bottle is washed well, lid removed. I cut a finger from a rubber glove, which is also washed inside and out. I cover the mouth of the bottle with the glove, and wrap small elstic bands to keep it from slipping. I make a small incision in the glove for the birds' beaks. I can also cap it to save for later, or put in a funnel (through the glove) to fill it up. Makes feeding much easier - the babies don't get as much food on them (Reno dribbles a bit doen her neck, but Ozzy is very clean), making clean up a breeze. And the food doesn't get cold between feeding the two ;)

Takes a total of about 15 mins, 20 if I am slow, lol. They eat well and don't spend as much time crying for food than if I used the syringe. I recommend this to anyone who wants to save a bit of time/cleaning/etc. :) I think this would be great if you had many babies to feed (provided they are already kept together, since I wouldn't want cross contamination to occur). Also, after each day I completely empty the bottle, clean it, replace the glove and make a new batch of food. This avoids spoilage.

Hope this helps gives an idea of how it works :) It's basically the syringe method upgraded for voracious eaters ;)

Dee-O-Gee
June 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Holy smokes TT--what an amazing thread! :lightbulb:

I love the water bottle idea and can't wait to see the feeding pics. :thumbs up

chico2
June 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
This is really very interesting and lots of info.
It looks to me like they are doing great.
Although I love all birdies,these babies are not the cutest I've seen:laughing:but still cute,since they are babies,makes sense:confused:
I suppose they grow in to the large beaks..
You know,you are now totally committed to keep us in the loop:stork-baby:

Melinda
June 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
wow, that is really neat!!! thanks

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Aww Chico, they are much cuter in person...maybe because I feed them (a face that only a mother could love? LOL!). I got one pic of Ozzy eating - they were very hungry today and not impressed that their food was thinner today (I thought maybe they needed lighter food, but nope, they need it a teeny bit thicker).

I've decided to name the little one Diva, since she's a total Diva, lol! She freaks out over every little thing :crazy: Ozzy is still the cool one, he'll just sit around, chirping at me and watching everything I do :cool: Last one is the two again, Diva in the bowl and Ozzy chillin' :laughing:

Melinda, I will be happy to oblige your demand ;)

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's really an excellent idea you had there with that bottle.

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks AG! I kept thinking there must be an easier way to feed such hungry babies (thinking back to bottle feeding kittens, I ended using very large syringes so I could feed them and not lose my hands in between the babes, lol). Since the bottle is large, I can control how much the birds are eating and how fast. It works well and I'm very pleased with it :D

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
How long before they start getting more feathers?

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Every day more and more feathers poof out (the little capsules that enclose the feather drops, and the feather is fluffy). By the age of 20-23 days they should have most, if not all, their feathers :)

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
And of course we'll get pictures of the progress.:D

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
;) You betcha!

chico2
June 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
TT,I did not mean they are ugly,I'd love them to bits:lovestruck:
It seems they are growing with every new pic,you are doing an amazing job,being a Pigeon mama:grouphug:

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
No worries Chico, I know what you meant :D They are funny looking for sure! But yes adore they are too (although all new birdies to me are funny looking, lol). Thank you for the hugs! :grouphug:

Melinda
June 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
what wonderful pictures *L* I think your feeding method is just great!! and I'll steal the idea next time I'm brought a dove, I really detest tube feeding!! Diva sounds perfect for her *L*

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Oh please do steal the idea! I think it would be great for anyone who is feeding babies like these :D I like this method better than tube feeding, since I've never tubbed a baby and would be very very very nervous about it :eek:

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thought I'd share pics of their first bath time :crazy:

Diva screamed the entire time, Ozzy loved it ;) Ozzy even drank a bit on his own :eek: Thank goodness! I was a bit worried about them developing properly, but insticnt kicks in when it's needed :highfive:

Melinda
June 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
should they be having a bath at their age?? usually they are still in the nest under mom during rainstorms.......Im not an expert by any means mind you, I was just wondering?

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
According to a thread at Pigeon Talk, it's ok as long as it's supervised and they are well dried afterwards. They weren't in too long, maybe 2 minutes? I wrapped them in a towel and held them until they dried (a few mins). They are after their bath and are in wonderful spirits now (and fluffy!).

TwinTails
June 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Pics from today :D First and Second are Diva, showing off her diva attitude, lol! no matter what happens during the day, she has this same "OMGWTF!" reaction, lol. Last is Ozzy, showing off how large he is now, fitting nicely in my hand. He's so cool about it, calms down and just snuggles with me :)

TwinTails
June 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Last two of Ozzy, showing off his beautiful feathers and while eating. Last is Baby, and the look I get when I am feeding or playing with the birds, lol!

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
:laughing:Baby's look is precious! That's one of those, "Your kidding, right?" looks.

The little ones are looking great.

Dee-O-Gee
June 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Baby's expressions look like..."OH GREAT--THAT'S JUST GREAT!" :laughing::laughing:

Like I said earlier--this has been a great thread Twintails. Please keep the pictures coming.

I've beening meaning to ask--once the little guys are old enough to fly and be "big birds" :D, what's next. :shrug:

TwinTails
June 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
:laughing: Oh Yes! Baby sure has that expression often :rolleyes:

They will be staying with us. They trust people and don't have that natural fear of things (cats, people, predators, etc). They also don't know basic pigeon skills that would have been taught by their parents. Sooo, I'm looking for a large bird cage, and will be making some birdie diapers (so they can walk around the apartment without pooping everywhere, lol). I will also clip their wings (for their safety), as we don't have screens on our windows nor the patio door (and I know there is always a chance/risk). They will have free time in the spare room (my craft room), and will be supervised while out of the cage (5 cats all but one raised around birds).

Melinda
June 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
*L* Baby looks like she's saying "thats it mommy, get them nice and fat for the roasting pan" ..........

well thats great about the bath then, I was more curious then anything. They sure are growing!!!

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
:laughing: Oh Yes! Baby sure has that expression often :rolleyes:

They will be staying with us. They trust people and don't have that natural fear of things (cats, people, predators, etc). They also don't know basic pigeon skills that would have been taught by their parents. Sooo, I'm looking for a large bird cage, and will be making some birdie diapers (so they can walk around the apartment without pooping everywhere, lol). I will also clip their wings (for their safety), as we don't have screens on our windows nor the patio door (and I know there is always a chance/risk). They will have free time in the spare room (my craft room), and will be supervised while out of the cage (5 cats all but one raised around birds).

I was meaning to ask if you were keeping them. Since you are raising them, it's true they will not know many things their momma would have taught them. They'd probably starve if you let them go.

14+kitties
June 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Wow, they sure are growing at an amazing rate! Keep up the wonderful job!! :highfive:

Melinda
June 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
they actually won't starve, nature takes over and when hand raising you should always have two of whatever species it is so they don't forget what they are, sounds silly but true.

BenMax
June 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I just wanted to say that you are one amazing person. I think what you are doing is so selfless and one heck of a great gesture in helping them.

WoW I am really amazed!:grouphug:

Bina
June 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Be prepared to be "Mommy" to these pigeons for a very long time. :) Some species bond very quickly with their humans who feed them.
Previous squabs that I raised were in pairs so that was a bit easier in making the transition to living outdoors, but they spent alot of the day on the roof of my porch wondering why Mommy was hiding on them. ;)

My most recent squab, Junior, was raised alone. I paid particular attention to not playing with him and not spending alot of time feeding him. He was tube fed 4 times a day and I kept him out of my view all day. I really didn't need another imprinted pigeon. :)
Anyway, gradually I reduced the number of feedings and threw seeds on the bathroom floor. Then I made tapping and pecking indications with my fingers and he followed my fingers to the seeds. He was so hungry and mad at me.....but it worked.
He graduated to a wire aviary outdoors, and was let out during the daytime.
Junior followed me everywhere!

One day I left him in the tree and I went to the corner store, when I came back he was gone.
I was freaking out....we looked everywhere, calling, calling, and no bird.
For the next couple of days, we continued to look. I felt so bad.
Well finally I saw him at the neighbour's. He had been there knocking on their patio door, and sitting on the guys head whenever he went outside.
Junior was so glad to see me, he was pecking pecking pecking......I'm hungry.
WE had him for years and finally gave him to a friend of mine so that their daughter could have a pet on the farm.

chico2
June 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Bina,that's a great story.
TT,I actually thought you were going to release them,but then I don't know much about hand-fed Pigeons,or how they would do after being brought up by humans.
You are doing a great job:grouphug:

Bina
June 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I should also mention that Junior, who we raised as a single bird, seemed to be a male, and as an adult he could get quite aggressive with his beak and pecking on our hands and arms. I used to clean his cage while wearing suede work gloves.

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone =) I talked with hubby and we are deffinitely keeping them. We weighed the pros and cons, and talked about the possibility of them becoming food (we are surrounded by Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Hawks, Vultures, Seagulls, cats, wildcats, etc). Not to mention the people who kill pigeons thinking they are pests :sad: So, I am looking for a nice large cage for them, so they will have room to move about when they are not having run of the room (when we had cockatiels previously, they were free-roaming most of the day - the cats kept them contained in 'their' room, lol).

I've noticed now when I feed them, they are looking at my hands, and want to eat through my fingers. Before they would just attack the bottle, but now they are looking to me for food, no longer the bottle.

I also weighed them after feeding this morning - Diva was 180G and Ozzy was 220G :eek: They are getting big! I am heating up lunch right now =)

Bina, I am hoping they both won't be too aggressive, but if they are we will do what you did and wear heavy gloves. I've actually never ever had any problems with pigeons before - they seem to love me and always flock to me wherever I go :) I am hoping that they will be a lovely pair of pets =D

Alrighty, more pics! Feeding this morning, Diva looking better and better every day (more feathers popping out). Ozzy being the coolest piji in the world (yes I am biased, hehe), and showing off the feathers on his legs. Lastly is the two of them, after feeding, chilling in the nest (guess which is Diva, lol). You can see how much they poop! Thankfully it's out of the nest, so they are not sitting in poopers :yuck:

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to ask - does anyone by chance have 2 leg bands that I could buy? I don't need 25 or 100, just two :) I want to add my name/number/etc in case they get out (I'd rather people call me if they find them, instead of taking them to the SPCA or whatever).

chico2
June 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Leg-Bands are a great idea,
I had a white Pigeon here once with a leg-band and I knew she did not belong with my wild Pigeons.
Then one evening a young man came over after having seen her in my tree.
He had a Pigeon-Coop,with imported Pigeons from Pakistan,he was Pakistany himself.
He told me,his Pigeons are the only Pigeons that can fly so high up in the sky,you can hardly see them.
He took me up to his coop,showed me all his beautiful Pigeons,it was very interesting.

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Oh yes! That's exactly why I want to band them :D I would love to learn from other pigeon keepers. I actually found one guy in town, however, I'd rather email than phone (and it's only his phone online). So, I will keep looking, maybe I can find someone else nearby who I can learn from :)

chico2
June 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
This young man would let the Pigeons fly,but usually only up to a wire.
He had some sort of clip he put on the wings of those he wanted to stay put.
No,it was not cruel,this man really loved his Pigeons.
Unfortunately he has since moved,otherwise he would be a great person to talk to.

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I think that clipping the wings is humane, especially if it's for their own safety :) I hope to find someone to learn from :D I did ask for help on a pigeon forum, but they are, erm, snooty to newbies? :sad: Oh well, lol!

dogcatharmony
June 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
LOL.....choked on my coffee when I saw Baby's face.....priceless!!!

The little birdies are so cute, and it's so wonderful what you are doing for them.:thumbs up

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
:laughing: Thank you DCH!

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
So it's official, the babies are eating solids! They both got their first feeding of peas and corn :D Diva cried histerics but ate them, Ozzy figured it out quickly and was enjoying himself :D We'll finish of the formula tonight and over tomorrow, then they will have veggies only. Next week I will be picking up a big bag of seed mix, and will get them started on that :) I'm so proud :cloud9:

TwinTails
June 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
A few more pics :) I cuddled with the babies while watching House Bunny (Diva was annoyed, Ozzy enjoyed the movements, lol). They ate some corn and peas while watching. First pic is before foods, second is after foods. Third is Diva showing how I feed the veggies - she tried to 'eat' through my fingers (like they would their bio-parents' beaks), and I pop a corn or pea in. She swallows and asks for more. They both told me when they had enough, didn't want any more. Just cuddles and then back to bed (where their heat lamp is).

Does anyone know until what age they should have a heat source (I know they need it for digestion)? I will probably keep it going for a while. Especially during the cooler months, as our place can get cold.

Anyways, enjoy the photos! :D

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Wow, it's amazing how much they've changed in a few days.

chico2
June 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
TT,it must be a great feeling taking care of these little guys,I am sorry I cannot advice you on anything.
The only thing I know about Pigeons is from watching the 30 something that come to my feeders.
We buy big 25 kilo bags of kernel corn for ours +the big bags of good birdseeds.
I know you can buy specialized Pigeon-Feed but it's not much different from what I buy already and much more expensive.
After all we feed a whole bunch of other birds too.

Bina
June 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I think it's still a bit early to be changing to feeding seed only, but I used to buy a big bag of seed mix specifically for Doves. It doesn't have those big kernels of corn and sunflower seeds which could choke the youngsters. Most feed dealers or suppliers of wild bird seed will have it or can order it for you.

chico2
June 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Bina,I was thinking so too,but don't know enough about baby-pigeons.

TwinTails
June 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Oh no, not straight to seed - I want to keep a small dish of seed and water in there, also with supplimenting hand feeding peas and corn as well as bottle feeding the formula to help them stay hidrated (and get all the nutrition they need). I remember reading that hand reared babies stay on formula and hand feeding longer than bio-parent fed babies :) I just want the best for them, and if they need hand feeding for a bit longer, thats fine too ;) (I think it was the same with bottle baby kittens).

They aren't feeding as often now. They eat probably 3 times a day (veggies & bottle in AM, veggies and water around mid afternoon, and veggies & bottle before bedtime).

On a seriously happy note, last night I was feeding the babies while watching a movie. I put Ozzy onto the couch beside me, so I could feed Diva without him pecking her head, lol. Well, he walked over the couch, up onto me, and right over to my face (squeaked a little), then down to my right hand. He settled right down and cuddled! He closed his eyes any snoozed a bit. After about 10 mins he got up and hopped into the bowl with Diva =D He did the same thing this morning, he wanted cuddles =D He's also learning that "Open" means to open his mouth, so makes it easier to pop his food in there :cloud9:

Ok, more pics today! Diva and Ozzy after breakie :)

chico2
June 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Awww TT,that's so cute,you certainly seem to know what you are doing:thumbs up
What is that they say about bird-brains:confused:sometimes I think,even with a small brain,they are smarter than some people:laughing:

Melinda
June 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
I cannot believe how fast they are growing, Im enjoying this thread so much!!! thanks

TwinTails
June 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Here are my babies today :) They are flapping their wings a lot more now, and are gripping very well with their feet. Diva is starting to enjoy cuddles more, becoming more calm when I hold her close to me :) Ozzy is still the little cool dude :cool:

I also did some reading about when pigeons are weaned onto pellets/veggies/w.h.y. One guy said that he gets a lot of flack from other pigeon keepers as he will continue to hand feed a piji until nearly a month or older. Most keepers apparently wean at 18 days, however this guy studied his birds and they did not eat anything in 24 hours of having pelleted food available (and his birds were 25 days old). So, I've decided to just continue the bottle feeding until I am feeling sure they can start eating more solid food.

Last night I used my (not often used) food processor and blended together about a cup of frozen veggies (peas, corn, carots, green beans & lima beans), 1 tsp flax, 1/2 - 3/4 cup of plain oatmeal (quick oats), 1 cup of vegan baby pablum. Once this was well blended and mushy, I added bewtween 1/2 - 3/4 cup of hot water, and blended again. Once well mixed I poured it into a bowl and let it sit for 1/2 hour (to let the oats absorb all the liquid they want). I double checked the thickness, the filled the cleaned water bottle, and set the bottle into a jug of hot water to warm the mush. They both went nuts for it, and I think they like that more than the solid veggies (well, I sure do, I know they won't choke on the soft stuff and it won't take too long to digest).

Anyways, onto pics! First two are Ozzy. Diva was in no mood for photos, she was a bit grumpy. Last is the two of them after breakie, they were cuddled and ready for a snooze :)

chico2
June 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
TT,I too love to see your pics and learn how to take care of a baby-pigeon should the need ever arise.
I am not sure where all of"my"Pigeons go after feeding here,would love to know,I never see any young ones.

TwinTails
June 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Chico, you will never see baby pigeons, lol. I never understood that joke/comment (something about baby pigeons anyways), but I've learned that because pigeons roost higher up, ledges of buildings or rooftops. Pigeons are usually fully feathered by the age of 20-23 days, and start flying at about 35 days. They can stay with their parents until about 60 days. By the time they leave the nest, they are fully fledged and look just like their parents :D That's why you will never see a baby pigeon ;)

But they are cute and adorable, aren't they?!? The little boogers have stolen my heart, seriously. Thing is, I've wanted to have pigeons for many many years. I could never have them until now :) It's funny how the universe works, lol!

On a side note, anyone interested in keeping pigeons, I've read that feral rock pigeons (they grey ones with pretty colors you see in the city), their lifespan is about 3-5 years in the wild. In captivity, it's 15+ years :eek: It's deffinitely a commitment!

chico2
June 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
TT,thank's for the lesson:thumbs up
I have several Pigeons with beautiful colors,a couple are pure white,others white with grey,a couple are taupe,one who is blackish,then the regular ones of course.

TwinTails
June 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Chico, you have a beautiful flock visiting you!!

Sorry for the lack up updates yesterday. My camera batteries died, so I struggled to get any photos, lol.

Anyways, here are pics from today: Diva & Ozzy after breakfast, Ozzy showing off his good looks ;), after breakie & cuddles with Mom, ready for a nap!

TwinTails
June 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
They now have the run of the big cage. They no longer stay in the "nesting" bowl. They walk around, play with some of the toys (jingle balls & bells), have water and a stuffy to snuggle with. They are flapping like crazy and have good wing strength! They are now about 23 days old, give or take. They are eating a ton of food now (oatmeal & veggies, raisins & some copped fruit). Tomorrow we'll pick up bird seed, and will start to give them some seeds. We'll see how that goes ;) Photo below shows the kids snuggled in their big home :D

chico2
June 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Awww TT they are sweet,it must be so exciting to watch them grow.
To most people Pigeons are pests,but who are they to call an animal/bird a pest,I know a lot of people who are pests,my Pigeons are beautiful:lovestruck:

TwinTails
June 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have always loved pigeons :lovestruck: When I was a young child, my best friend's family had an aviary in their back yard. Plenty of pigeons, lots of cooing :D I had always wanted to have my own (though I settled for budgies, lol). I don't think I could give up my boogers now, I am too attached (never mind they think I am Momma - Diva keeps trying to eat from my mouth, lol!). I think people just get caught up in so much material crap that they forget about the most beautiful things - the wildlife around us :cloud9: No matter where you are, there are beautiful things, I just wish more people could appreciate them :shrug:

Dee-O-Gee
June 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
It's amazing how Ozzy & Diva have found comfort. They look very content and I have to commend you for taking them in and giving them a home. :lovestruck:

I've loved all the pictures and stories. If anyone every has a question about how to raise pigeons, this would be the thread to turn to. :thumbs up

Way to go TwinTails! You've done an excellent job keeping this thread alive and knowledgeable. :)

TwinTails
June 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Aww :o Thank you :) I consider myself to be the lucky one to have the privilege to know these babies. They are amazing creatures, and I am eternally greatful that the universe saw that I be the one to take them in :lovestruck: It's amazing how loving these guys are! I actually made a bird diaper last night. It's too big for them as babies, but they will be able to wear it in a few days (at the rate they are growing, that is!). Then they will be able to wander around more outside of their cage *excited*. I just have to make a second one now, and some extras for in between washes :)

TwinTails
June 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
New pictures! First Ozzy is showing off his beautiful plumage - the purple is devine! Ozzy on the left, Diva giving him a kiss :) Flapping their wings to show off their blue bars and new feathers.

This was right after their first meal of brown rice, veggies and raisins. They loved it even more than oatmeal! So, this will be their main meal now. :highfive: They are starting to need more heavy food, the lighter stuff goes through them too fast, so more substance, more often.

On a sad note, our income has decreased by half :sad: It's really tight now and I am not sure how we will make it through the month. The animals will be fed though, lol!

Anyways, I am off for now, going to relax a bit and watch a movie :)

ancientgirl
June 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
They're growing so fast!

Sorry about the income cut. This economy has to get better soon.

TwinTails
June 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks AG! I think we'll be ok, we shoudl be getting our disability status upgraded by the end of July :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
June 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
OMG,how they change from day to day:thumbs up
They are starting to look like Pigeons..
Sorry about your financial situation,hopefully it'll get better:fingerscr

BenMax
June 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I am really amazed that they are surviving. You may just have found your calling. What a difference you have made to these little ones. At the same time you are educating even myself about how wonderful people really are.

I am so completely impressed. Thank you for what you are doing!

As for your financial situation - I have maybe an idea in regards to the animals. I foster and it is starting to take a toll on me financially. I do not feed the food that is provided by the rescue so I must buy it myself. The food store where I purchase for my personal pets and fosters know how much I spend weekly or bi-weekly. I thought I would just ask if they had any food discounted due to expiry date for my fosters. He said that he could do better than that - and gave me a large bag of Natural Balance for dogs and pups. I was astonished and he replied, 'if you don't ask, you will not get'. He also said that times are hard for people, and if he can help he will. Crazy!!!!

Also, I do know that some SPCAs or Shelters are helping with food as well. The economy is resulting in animals suffering (and people too) so they have programs where they will assist with donating some pet food. I know how difficult it is sometimes to ask for help - but it's out there. You are doing your payback my dear friend - now let someone help you where they can. You can always payback somewhere else.

TwinTails
June 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks you guys, I will see if I can find someone willing to donate some seed :D

Here are a few pics - last night I tried bird diapers on the birds. As you can see, Ozzy simply refused to wear his! Diva was fine with it, sort of. They hung out with me for a bit then got a little cranky, lol.

TwinTails
June 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
First time eating out of a bowl! Tonight they ate a good amount of mush, and as you can see, Ozzy really enjoyed his dinner! Poor Diva kept trying to get her head in there, but just couldn't as Ozzy's butt was in her way, lol!

TwinTails
June 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Last group of pics! Ozzy and Diva are starting to peck the ground, and are picking up bits of food and eating them, so no more bottle ;) Now I can go visit out of town friends and hubby can feed the pigs, I mean, birds :P

Next they NEEDED a bath BADLY! They were COVERED in mush! Head to toe, top and bottom, lol! I filled up a bin with warm water, and washed them well. They wandered around a bit afterwards, then cuddled in my lap (I used my nightgown to wick away the water). Now they are sleeping confortably under the heat lamp (which now they are really appreciating, lol).

They are starting to flutter about now! They aren't getting much lift, but they can get in and out of the tubs, bins, buckets, etc :D Little boogers ;)

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I love that they are just wandering around with the kitties in the back ground.

chico2
June 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
TT,I cannot describe how exciting it is to follow their progress progress,thank you very much!!
Diapers:laughing::laughing:but I can see how it's needed:laughing:
Good Kitties,but I'm sure you don't leave them alone with the Pigeons.
beautiful Tabbies:lovestruck:

This page should be a sticky,just in case we need help one day with how to help a baby-bird..

BeagleMum
June 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
LOL, that last one made me laugh!! Those birds are freaky looking but still very cute!!

BeagleMum
June 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Wait, I meant last picture on the first page, I didn't realize that there were two more pages of pictures. They are getting so big!!

TwinTails
June 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
All of my cats are great around birds. They were raised around chickens, cockatiels, etc. All of them respect birds, which I am greatfull for. I don't leave them alone with them of course, as instinct is much more powerful than my voice! But in time I will be able to let them run around the room and won't have to worry as much (beaks are powerful!).

Oh! And a lovely woman from the USA is mailing me some numbered snap-on leg bands, so that my babies will be registered with someone in case the ever get loose :)

Sorry, no pics today. I was out all day with my best friend. However, Diva has discovered how to eat the brown rice I've put into a bowl for them! :D She's eating it like a pro :D I picked up a few other things for them to eat, and she is all proud of herself. Ozzy is still wanting the bottle, so I'm letting them have a bit in the evenings, but the meals during the day will have to be the dry foods ;)

Alrighty all, I am beat and ready for dinner then bed, haha. See you all tomorrow!

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ok, pics! This morning I gave the babes a little of the bottle, then made them eat their grains and goodies, lol.

First is Diva, chilling on the window sill. I have to replace a torn window screen (on my own dime, as the idiot building owner thinks screens are luxuries, haha). The babes like to sit and watch whats going on outside :)

Next is Ozzy freaking out that I won't give him more of the bottle, lol!

Last shows them starting to eat out of the little dish. They are eating peanuts, sunflower seeds (shelled), pumpkin seeds, brown rice, flax seed, fennel seed, green split peas & lentils.

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
More eating pics! They had a grand time eating, and I am very happy that they know what is food and what isn't :) Last pic shows a very PO'd Baby sitting in the back (she swatted at Diva and I yelled at her). She's annoyed that they get to sit on my shoulders, play in my hair and basically get attention that she would prefer for herself (however much she would actually not want the attention, she just assumes that it was taken from her, lol).

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Ooooh,Awwww they are getting cuter with every set of pics:lovestruck:
I always wondered why we don't see any youngish looking Pigeons,since we see Robin,Cardinal,Blackbird and many other young birds.:confused:
Maybe Pigeons don't fly until the are completely mature:confused:

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Ozzy takes his clues from Diva. :highfive: She has such an independant personality! She started eating the rice and lentils waaaay before Ozzy would. He's so laid back, just waiting for me to feed him. He's a bit lazy like that. However he's now taking to freaking :crazy: like Diva would, trying to get me to bottle feed. You can see the progression of Ozzy and Diva walking around, chillin' :cool:, then Ozzy freaking because I moved my foot, then both attacking and pecking the scars on my feet, haha! Ozzy keeps pecking at the scars on my legs, as if proding me to give him the bottle, lol! Crazy babies! :cloud9:

Today I've added a couple of "perches" for them, they are actually legs from an end table (I can't find my actual perches). Just to get them used to sitting on them.

Oh! Ozzy actually asked to be put back into the cage! He saw me fixing up the cage, and tried to fly into it. He just smooshed himself into the bars, but it's a start! They like their home, which I am greatful for, lol.

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Ooooh,Awwww they are getting cuter with every set of pics:lovestruck:
I always wondered why we don't see any youngish looking Pigeons,since we see Robin,Cardinal,Blackbird and many other young birds.:confused:
Maybe Pigeons don't fly until the are completely mature:confused:

Oh yes! Pigeons don't start to fly until abou 35 days old, and won't leave the nest area until about 60 days (from what I understand). Parents (dad) continue to feed babies even after that :)

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well,that explains things,my Crows have already introduced me to their FOUR babies,but they too are almost as big as the parents.

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Oh I love crows! I would love to raise an orphaned baby ;) (Crows are my animal totem). We have a lot of crows here, they hang around and have been learning to mimic people (C'mon, C'mon, click click click, repeat, :laughing:).

chico2
June 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I've been feeding my Crows for many years,of course different generations.
I feed them leftover foods from us,right now I am waiting for them,they let me know they are here:laughing:
I've got lots of fat I cut away from steaks we had for dinner,they love it..

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ours feed at the garbage bin, lol. People put flat boxes on top, then feed day old bread, buns, muffins, etc. I feed nuts, breads, etc. We have tons of different birds here, so I try to feed them all :) We used to have a bird feeder right off our balcony, but the manager got pissed off about it and took it down :rolleyes:. So now I just feed the birds when I see them :cool: :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, their feathers are really coming in! They look fantastic.

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Aww, thanks AG! They are becoming so very pretty! Their neck feathers are purple, red, green and blue :lovestruck: :D

14+kitties
June 27th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Big change from when you first got them. Great job you are doing raising them! :thumbs up Are you planning on building them a coop when they get bigger or will they share your home? I would guess they would need one of the largest cages?

TwinTails
June 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
They will have to share our home. We're in an apartment and we're not allowed to have anything on our balcony. Never mind the Eagles and Hawks that would rip the coop open, lol. I'm trying to find a nice large cage, but either way they will be mostly free roaming the spare room (my craft/video games room), while we are home that is. If I can't find a large cage, I know someone who could build me one from scrap wood and wire. It doesn't need to be fancy, just roomy and functional :)

TwinTails
June 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Photos from today :) Ozzy & Diva are now 100% on seed :D They love it and wait every morning for me to fill their bowl and clean their water. I've rearranged that room so I now have my PS2 and things in there. Last night I played for a few hours, and the babies just hung out with me. Diva is flying! She flies about 4 or 5 feet, not much more. But she's deffinitely maturing faster than Ozzy. He's still lazy, looking for the bottle, lol. But he's big! Anyways, here are some pics I took about 3 mins ago ;)

First two are Ozzy - I am teaching them to use the little ladder to climb out of the cage and onto the table. Oliver is sitting there wondering what that thing is doing, lol! Last is Diva asking to be let back into the cage (I just filled their dishes, lol). She later turned around and jumped into my hands for a snuggle :)

Last night she basically snuggled under my hair for an hour, while Ozzy sat behind me on the back of the chair, lol.

TwinTails
June 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
More! Ozzy and Diva are getting big! Diva is slimmer, while Oz is getting plump, lol.

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
It's amazing how much they grow in just a few days. They are looking great.
Do you have to fill the food dish just once in a day? I know with my lovebird I keep his bowls (4) filled every day. Sorry, I don't know how much they can actually put in their bellies but I am sure it's lots!!

It's a good thing you can trust the kitty with them. Mine would be thinking lunch!!!

TwinTails
June 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have to fill the bowl twice a day at least! They are little piglets, lol! The cats are ok as long as I don't leave them too long. Oliver is afraid of everything, so he's cool. Baby will try to swat at their tails though, lol. I've actually just upgraded their bowl to something 3 times that size of the previous one. They wait every morning for fresh food :D Such cuties! :lovestruck:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Not a bad idea, the bigger dish. Whoever made up that saying "eats like a bird" obviously didn't know a bird eats a very large amount of food every day.

TwinTails
June 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Oh totally! They eat so much it's hilarious :crazy:

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM
OMG TT,they are starting to look like Pigeons,it's just amazing:thumbs up
I love to see the pics and the updates,you have done sooooo great with these babies,like I said,amazing:grouphug:

Bina
July 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
No pigeon updates?

chico2
July 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I was wondering about them too,hopefully they're ok:pray:

TwinTails
July 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
:sorry:

I've been busy and have no batteries for the camera, but they are doing very well! They are both flying, eating seeds and grains like mad, enjoy baths and cuddles, wear bird diapers when I can get them on them (lol). They are super sweet little boogers ;) They are also getting a roommate this weekend - a local woman and her children found a finch with a broken wing, so he is coming probably tomorrow, to stay with us until he is releasable (if he is releasable, lol).

14+kitties
July 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I was wondering myself how they were doing. Good to hear they are flying and getting into mischief! Diapers! I can imagine trying to get one on them. :eek: It's hard enough trying to get one on a toy poodle.
Congrats on doing such a great job with them. :thumbs up And so nice of you to bring the finch in. :highfive:

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
They make diapers for birds?

TwinTails
July 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Yuppers, they are also called bird pants :) I made mine myself, since I don't have the funds to drop $40 USD on two pair ;)

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I just looked at some online. They're actually pretty stylish.

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah they are cute :D Once I have some extra $$ I will order a couple :) Much easier than trying to fit homemade ones, lol!

chico2
July 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
TT,that's great news:thumbs uphopefully you get your camera working again soon.
From one Pigeon-lover to another:grouphug:
Hope the little Finch will be ok:pray:

Bina
July 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's a good thing that pigeons are shaped like parrots, that way the on-line diapers should fit pretty well.
I'm so glad to hear that the little squabs are doing well. :)

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Chico & Bina! They are doing so very well :) Once I have the diapers on them, they will be hanging around with us out in the living room. Now I just have to figure out how to keep them from flying out the windows, lol!

chico2
July 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
TT,if they do fly out the window,don't you think they would come back??

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Possibly, I'm more worried about them not understanding how to stay safe from predators and things like that :sad:

Bina
July 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Tamed pigeons raised with cats and dogs obviously don't have a fear of them.
You should have seen the ruckus when my pigeon tried to land on the back of my Airedale....!!!!!
I was running and screaming, the Aire was snapping, and the pigeon was sitting on the fence thinking WTH is all the commotion?
Too funny---- afterwards.

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
LOL, yes it's funny afterwards, lol! My cats tolerate the birds, but I can't turn my back on them for a moment - instinct always trumps logic ;)

Bina
July 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Instinct trumps logic.
That is a good line. Applies to men too. LOL LOL

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
LOL! How true! :whistle:

chico2
July 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
TT,we have Hawks here in the winter and my heart breaks every time he gets one of"my"Pigeons,but there is not much I can do about it,just hope the Pigeon died quickly.
Of course it's different with yours,you brought them up from babies.

TwinTails
July 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah if mine were more wild, they would be perfect canidates for release. Well, at least they will have a long life (15 yrs or so) here than they would outside (2-3 yrs or so) :D

chico2
July 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
TT,here is a bad pic of a couple of my Pigeons,these two stick together like love-birds:lovestruck:

TwinTails
July 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Aww, they are beautiful :D

chico2
July 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Twin Tails did you see my other pics of the Pigeons,posted them especially for you today:laughing:

TwinTails
August 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
New Pics!!

Ozzy and Diva are now just over 2 months old :) They are absolutely gorgeous birds :D They are now cooing, which is completely awesome :D

Do, here are the babes:

Diva in front, Ozzy in back; Ozzy showing off how beautiful he is; Ozzy sitting with hubby as he plays World of Warcraft.

They got their first nail trim yesterday - went very well without any issues (yay!). Now they are sitting with me, preening and fluttering about the living room, lol.

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Aww TT,love them,wish I could do that...I was wondering about them,thank's for the update:thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I was also wondering about them a few days ago. They look fantastic!

Bina
August 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
TT, it is so nice to see the babies again.
I used to sit around with a towel on my shoulders to keep my shirts free of poops and claw marks. :)

Love4himies
August 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
OMG, I can't believe I missed this whole thread :eek: :eek::o

That is so sweet to give Ozzie and Diva a chance in life, all lives are precious. :grouphug: :cloud9:

TwinTails
August 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
One more photo from this morning :D It's Ozzy in flight - Diva is sitting in the background, and Ozzy decided he had better get his morning flight in now ;) Luckily I had the camera ready! Enjoy!

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think it's so great they are so strong and healthy. You did an amazing job.