Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beau - Follicular Displaysia and other complications!

Cavelle
June 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Beau has been diagnosed with Follicular Dysplasia - a skin disorder that doesn't allow for hair to grow back to through the hair follicle, once it's gone. He will eventually be bald. You might be able to see it in one of the pictures, the bald spot on his head. It is not contagious, life threatening or irritating.

Because Beau has this disease, he is experiencing other skin issues, like bacterial folliculitis and it might even be linked to his thyroid. I read a few blogs about dogs that have skin conditions, genetic or otherwise, and they are always on some form of medication or antibiotics to keep all the symptoms down.

We noticed this weekend that the insides of Beau's ears looked sore and possibly bleeding, so we cleaned them a little bit with mineral oil and cotton ball, but it wasn't bleeding, just looked raw and sort-of like a rash. The tips of his ears are already "crusty" and they were redder than normal and then the bald spot on the top of his head got a reddish "rash" as well, but it looks worse in the mornings. By this afternoon, his ears or his head didn't look as "sore". He yelped when I rubbed his neck behind his ears this morning, so it must be irritating him and he shakes his head gently now.

Beau has such a good temperament and doesn't even snap at you when he's uncomfy or you're doing something he doesn't want done.

He is only 2 years old and he acts like such a lazy old dog, it leads me to wonder if his thyroid is not part of the issue.

We have another vet appointment for him next Tuesday. He's been to the vet almost every month since we got him a year ago in April.

He will never lead a "normal" dogs life.... Poor Beau.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Cavelle

Longblades
June 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I just googled this because it is new to me. Strange ailment. What breed is Beau? I have no help to offer but hope your Vet is able to make Beau comfortable. Is he any better in his ears now?

Cavelle
June 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
No - his ears are really bothering him. He's been on antibiotics since we got him, basically. No one knew what was wrong with him for almost a year. So they kept giving him antibiotics to get rid of his "pimples", and they did, but they kept coming back. Finally, took him to another vet and they did biopsies of his crusty ear tips and the bald spot on the top of his head and that's what came back - Follicular Displaysia.

Beau is a Labrador Retriever/Newfoundland mix - With more research, I found out that Newfoundland breeds are prone to having certain skin issues something like bacterial folliculitis.

My aunt was saying that dogs who are on antibiotics for a long time are prone to yeast infections in their ears - I haven't had a chance to research that yet as we are very busy at work. I'm nervous that it's contagious to humans or rabbits - as I have 6 of them too.

He is going to the vet on Friday - he scratches his ears and yelps out in pain. I can hardly stand to see him like this.

Poor Beau. He'll probably be sick all the time with this.

Cavelle
June 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Just an update...
Beau went to the vet and he had a severe yeast infection in both ears - the cause is unknown, but I'm leaning toward the antibiotic overuse. He is currently on ear drops - which he's slowly adjusting to - sort-of. :) He's getting lots of treats this week and next. I hope it clears it up completely. He hates getting drops in his ears because we have to muzzle him and chase him around until we can get the drops in. But he's sweet as pie after all that. He is such a good dog.

He is slowly losing more fur especially on his neck, legs and paws. It doesn't bother him in the least.

Take Care!

TeriM
June 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would definately recommend adding some probiotics to your dogs diet to help prevent these sorts of problems while on antibiotics. Purchase a good quality (go to health store, they should be refridgerated) acidophilus and give at least one (probably two) capsules daily. I just open the capsules and sprinkle on the food. Salmon oil would also probably be a great addition to his diet.

Also, what are you feeding? A good quality diet or perhaps even a switch to raw could help build the dogs immune system and slow down the progression of his disease.