Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs and lock jaw Qs

melanie
August 12th, 2004, 05:55 PM
hi lovelies, now i just read in another post that there is no such thing as lock jaw. so i have some Qs (didnt want to hijack other thread so thought i put here).
now the other week i witnessed a lovely staffie girl called jazz attack a cat. now jazz got the cat in an excited moment and, sadly for the cat, killed it violently. now we could not for the life of us get jazz's jaw open. it was locked (for a better word). we tried everything, we even tried suffocating her and it did not work, in the end her owner put their finger down her nose and released the jaw.
so if lock jaw does not exist what happened the other day?? jazz is a good girl, and is mainly obedient and well mannered. she just would not open her mouth and we really tried. so does it exist and what do you think happened to jazzs jaw in that horror moment? we were later told that the only real easy way to get her off was to put a cigerette on her bum and give her a sml burn, jazzs mum would never do that. poor jazz, the farmer who owned the cat is talking of shooting her, oh dear, the girl gets herself into some strife :eek:

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Sounds to me like blind determination. Imagine how you would feel if you just killed something. You would probably grip the weapon in a momentary feeling of insanity... bewilderment.

Not that I am comparing dogs to humans, I am no Vet, after all. I am just using common sense.

It sounds like the dog was either provoked, or very unsocialized to have attacked in the first place. Perhaps it didn't even know what a cat was. I know our dog will attack flies, because it knows flies aren't part of our pack.

Our dog has grown up with cats and let me tell you she has taken a beating! Well, not a literal one, but the cats will play with the dog and they bat at Loki's head (no claw usage) and Loki just stands there and takes it. Funny enough, she'll try using her paws just like the cat!

People need to realize that this type of behavior doesn't go without a reason. There "is" a reason the dog did this, as sad as it truly is. But part of prevention is knowing what can happen, and making sure a dog is comfortable with all kinds of situations.

This is why animial socialization is SUCH an important part of bringing up a dog. When you get a dog, you have a responsibility in making sure that the animal is comfortable in all types of common and/or potential situations. It should be introduced to children, adults, aged people, different types of pet animals, and situations so that it is comfortable whenever faced with them.

Even still, you always have to watch your pet with any new or unfamiliar situations. Trust can be earned, but never given. You should always know what your pet is doing, just like a child.

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Any dog is capable of killing a cat. Dogs are predators and as such, have strong jaws necessary to immobilize and kill prey. Pretty simple.

Anyone who wants to kill a dog for attacking a cat should not have dogs. "Predators", remember? Would that same person want to kill the dog for attacking a squirrel, or a groundhog, or another wild animal?? Has the world gone nuts? When I was growing up, people expected dogs to chase cats, and if they left their cats out where they may be attacked by dogs, they expected that too.

Would they kill a cat for preying on birds?

I would like just one person to explain to me how it's possible for any creature to have jaws that "lock"?? I would like to know how this is physiologically possible? :confused:

The best tool to have if you own pit bulls or Staffs is a "breaking stick". This tool is used to open the jaws. I would not advise using this stick on any other breed, as you are liable to be bitten and injured.

Cactus Flower
August 13th, 2004, 01:39 AM
It seems as though they "lock" but the jaws are not physically capable of locking. Ever see a pit bull dangling from a rope that it has bitten down on, or a tire-swing? They don't let go! They'll hang there for a looooong time by sheer will and instict. Those jaws are very strong and it is in their nature to "hold" until their "prey" dies.

My pitX did the same thing. I told all of my friends not to bring their dogs over because they would likely be attacked- but one in particular kept insisting "oh she will be alright" (love it when people tell me about my OWN dog....). He thought she'd be ok because mine played with his one day when his was a pup (he'd brought the pup by- I was not home). I explained simply "Yes, she sometimes does play with her dinner", but that didn't get through. I explained that now that his dog is not a pup, it is competition as far as mine was concerned. Didn't listen to that either. Brought his dog over to "play" with mine. Put his dog in my yard with my dog before even knocking on my door. And mine, of course, attacked. Clamped down and it seemed nothing in the world would get her to let go- EXCEPT a solid shot of water from the hose directly in the face. This usually works when nothing else will, and it is the most humane way to end an attack IF a hose is handy.
And can you believe it- when he got his next dog HE DID THE SAME THING. Brought it over to "play". Some people!......
Anyway, sticking a finger up a dog's nose doesn't "unlock" a jaw. It hurts the dog's nose. I'd let go, too, if someone rammed their finger up my nose. Ouch!

sammiec
August 13th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I always find threads like this one very interesting. I find it very interesting hearing the different things that people do or are told to do when a fight breaks out.
A pit bull cannot "lock" its jaw. Could you just imagine - how would the poor thing eat, and how would it gets its jaw unlocked.... :eek:
They are very determined and strong animals. I think that like any dog, when a pit bull fights or attacks an animal it's sheer will that keeps them going. I think they develop a sort of tunnel vision - they are ONLY concerned about this fight/attack and they do not want to let go.
The safest way to stop this reaction, like Lucky said is a breaking stick (http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html). There is a space behind the molars of a pit bull where the stick is inserted and twisted. This unclamps their jaws from their "prey" and you can then remove them from the other animal. * THIS IS NOT TO BE ATTEMPTED ON ANY OTHER BREEDS. *
Most dogs have a tendancy to bite and release over and over while fighting. A pitbull will clamp down and hold on, this is where the break stick comes in. Like Lucky said, if this method is used on another breed, the person will more than likely be bitten. Hope that helps a little! ;)

Lucky Rescue
August 13th, 2004, 10:50 AM
And can you believe it- when he got his next dog HE DID THE SAME THING. Brought it over to "play".
Gee, Cactus Flower - aren't human beings supposed to be the ones with the brains?

Anyway, sticking a finger up a dog's nose doesn't "unlock" a jaw. It hurts the dog's nose. I'd let go, too, if someone rammed their finger up my nose. Ouch!

LOL - glad you explained that. I was looking up my dog's nose with a flashlight, trying to find the "Unlock" switch! :D

Cactus Flower
August 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
in the end her owner put their finger down her nose and released the jaw

:eek:

Yes Lucky, we are supposed to be the ones with the brains. I can't figure my friend out. You know the type, I'm sure- they think they know more about your own dog than you do. This is a real pet peeve of mine (no pun intended). If I am trying to protect your dog by warning you not to drop it in my yard, why argue? Is it so hard to understand that puppies are not much of a "threat" to most grown dogs- of ANY breed- but as they mature the need to establish dominance arises?
Well as I said, he did it again. And his new dog was attacked. Only this time he stuck his hand in the middle of the fight instead of using the hose, and HE ended up going to the hospital for stitches and tendon repair. *sigh*
I don't want to paint a bad picture of my pitX. She didn't know a hand was in the middle of that fight. She was blindly fighting, and to be honest, it could have been either dog that inadvertantly bit him, it's hard to tell.

mastifflover
August 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Cactus flower how may ways did you have to tell him. You know your dog and seem very responsible telling people right up front that he is dog aggressive. I agree people seem to think they know our dogs better then we do.

melanie
August 14th, 2004, 06:50 PM
thank you lovelies, that helped answer a few Qs for us, and i will pass it all on so jazzs mum is better informed. it was an unfortunate accident, and sadly witnessed by several young girls, but we did explain nature to the girls and the relationship of cat/dog to them so it helped them a little. jazz is a good girl and plays with alot of other dogs, kids, chickens, goats etc, just not cats. the cat was a friends cat that was supposed to be locked up, sort of our fault for not checking on the cat (should not have believed owner) and we had all been playing with jazz before she got the cat so we had her pretty excited. poor jazz, her mum would never shoot her, but it was witnessed by several farmers so she is going to become a bit of a target now we reakon as they now think she is crazy (bet i know who gets the blame for the next dead cow) oh jazz, she was so very proud of herself too, and poor jazz mum was so embarassed, boy if its not the kids its the dogs :eek: . thank you again it will clear a few things up