Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Departed pets....who revisit?

catlover2
June 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Stories of departed pets who come back have always fascinated me. I'm sure there are many stories to be told. What are yours? Do animals have a soul? I'm not sure, but I'm convinced they do have some kind of "spirit".

Here's my story. One of my most memorable was one of my favourite show cats, Missy, who had a "natural death" of heart attack at age 17. For a few days after her death, I could feel her walking on me while I was in bed tho could not see her. Another favourite, Mona, also had a heart attack at age 15. Occasionally I caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. Mona's lifelong cat friend, Ladybug, missed her terribly for months meowing and constantly looking for her and would sit where Mona used to sit and often Ladybug would look as if she were watching a cat walk across the room, and I do think she could see her Mona's "spirit" even tho I couldn't at the time. Many years ago in '80s another cat, Blueboy, had to be euthanized as a result of an inoperable bladder tumour at age 15. I used to catch glimpses of him sitting in his favourite spots for some months after his death. For some reason or other, I experienced no glimpses or feelings or sensations for other cats that died over the years. It was just a special few. :cat:

TacoGrl
June 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I will sometimes see a tabby (it's dark so I can't really tell who it is) sitting at the foot of my bed and when I look over at the cedar chest in the hall, both my two are sleeping on it :shrug:

About a year after Jaeger was euthanized, Mooki was sitting on the sofa, then all of a sudden jumped up hissing at the back of the sofa...it took her a while to calm down :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm convinced there is at least one or two spirits of cats in my apartment. At times I've been on the floor watching my present gang, when I've felt purring in my ear and a feeling like my hair was being touched, only to turn and see nothing. I've also felt cats walking on my bed, only to look up and see no cats, and realize all of my gang are downstairs. I've also seen out of the corner of my eyes cats, one dark and one lighter. Once I thought I saw Maks walking into the bathroom, only to walk in after him to an empty bathroom. I'll also sometimes be drying my hair and see a shadow of a cat sitting on the ledge of the loft, and when I turn there is nothing there.

So yes, I do believe I've got more than 5 cats in my apartment.:D I gather they must want company, or just feel at home there since there are other cats around.:shrug:

LittleLoves
June 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'm going to sound crazy here... :laughing:

Our first dog (named Lady...just like our current) was euthanized. For a long time afterward I would hear her dog tags jingling as if she were still walking around the house. My son Miles, who was born a year after Lady's euthanization, was sitting on the couch last year and said out of the blue, "Momma, Lady keeps jumpin' on my feet!"

He didn't know we had a dog named Lady, and we only got our current Lady a few months ago!!

Jim Hall
June 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
As i am drifting off to sleep sometimes i swear i hear my lab stoner whine to get on the bed

And as i was leabving an old apartment where i had "inherited a cat: gimpy hwo died of a heart attck before i moved i swear i could hear her miawing

TwinTails
June 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I have many spirits inhabiting my home ;) I'm rather sensitive to those things, so I am always seeing, hearing and feeling cats, dogs, birds, etc. We had to euthanize our dog, Tico, :rip:, several years ago. To this day I still hear him, see him walking around, and feel him jump onto the bed :) I first noticed I was sensitive to deceased animals and critters when I was about 4 or 5 years old. Since then I feel them all around me, and have been working on heightening my abilities :)

smithduke
June 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Our Kitty, sadly passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 21. Last week, I was making lunch for my daughter and reached up onto the baker's rack where I stored a box of Cheez-It's. I suddenly heard Kitty's meow. Kitty didn't have a "meow" but a "brrrrkow" sound. Not thinking, I actually stepped aside to let Kitty through and then I realized what I was doing. I thought it was the floor squeaking so I tried to duplicate it several times since. Nothing sounded even similar.

My friends here on pets.ca, said it was Kitty telling me she was ok and I truly believe that. :grouphug:

Here's a photo of my pretty girl at age 20. Doesn't she look great for her age? :lovestruck:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh204/smithduke/kitty.jpg

smithduke
June 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I thought I posted this earlier but it's not appearing.

My friend Carla emailed me this morning letting me know that her cat had passed away from sinus cancer. I'd like to share her story with you:

I had to have Charlie put to sleep two weeks ago. Eight days before that, I was standing in my bathroom alone and I suddenly felt a cat rubbing against my legs. I immediately froze because I knew there wasn't anyone in the room with me. The very second I looked down, the sensation stopped and there was nothing there. Then I thought I hadn't felt such soft sleek fur, since my cat, Simon passed away almost three years ago. Suddenly, I just felt this love radiate through me and I knew it was him.

Then I began to panic because I thought maybe Simon had come for Charlie.

Three days after that, I was in my bedroom. There is a floor to ceiling scratching post in there. Simon always loved it. The other cats ignored it. Suddenly, the scratching post creaked like there was something sitting on it. Of course, nothing appeared to be there.

The next day, Charlie took a turn for the worse. He developed an infection inside his head and it was all spilling out through his left eye socket. He had stopped eating and I couldn't get any more medicine into him. I called the vet on Sunday morning and was able to meet her at the clinic around noon. We both cried while Charlie got his final injection. Then I went home and cried for the rest of the afternoon. I still miss him, but I know he and Simon are together in a much happier place.

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
SmithDuke, those stories are lovely. I know animals have souls, how can they not? I firmly believe they visit us now and then when they feel we need some comfort, or to remind us they are still watching over us.

smithduke
June 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
SmithDuke, those stories are lovely. I know animals have souls, how can they not? I firmly believe they visit us now and then when they feel we need some comfort, or to remind us they are still watching over us.

Thanks ancientgirl! I've always believed that animals have souls also. My brother has never agreed until one night his wife had a "psychic party". We weren't certain how much of a real psychic this guy was but he came highly recommended. This "so called" psychic was outside in the back yard, giving people readings. My brother was getting his reading when suddenly his puppy, Ollie, came bounding around from the front of the house. The psychic immediately looked at Ollie and then turned to my brother and said, "Who's Jack?" His answer was, "Jack is my dog that died three months ago!" The psychic said, "Jack is here with us!".

My brother now believes animals have souls!!! :cat::dog::angel2:

Shaykeija
June 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
When Sophie was alive, she used to put her paws on my legs, when I was at my computer. She wanted to be picked up. The night Sophie died, I was in my office, and I swear on a stack of bibles, I felt her feet on my leg. I looked down and no one was in the room with me.

smithduke
June 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Ohhh...she was visiting you! :angel2:

smithduke
June 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Once in awhile we'd let Kitty outside to get a little sun on our patio and eat some grass in the back yard. The week before she died, she was out there happily eating grass. My hubby just admitted to me tonight...I don't know why he felt it was hard to tell me in the first place... but he also heard our Kitty! He was walking from the car onto our patio when he heard her distinctive meow! We both cried tonight over the fact that Kitty loved us enough to tell us she was happy!!!:cloud9:: :angel::cat:

BenMax
June 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately I have not been blessed with these feelings or sightings. I wish I was so that I knew that they were ok.

I often think of my rottie Ben however and miss his 'ARRORAH' in the mornings. I think of that often. Boy do I miss him.:sad:

So if anyone feels a big rottie next to them - send him my way!:)

mikischo
June 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you, catlover2, for starting this thread. I had another good little cry while reading this thread (that's okay, tears are healing). I cannot say with certainty that I have seen any signs since I lost my sweet Mickey almost a month ago, although there was an incident with a pretty little bird exactly one week after he passed that I like to think might have been a sign. I will talk about it in another post on this thread later.

For now I will just say that I truly believe that animals have souls too. I have often said that one of the main differences between four legged creatures and us two legged ones is that animals can't do reading, writing and 'rithmetic and some of us two legged ones aren't that great at that either. Animals communicate with us and we with them without having to speak the same language. I still frequently look at Mickey's favorite resting spots as I pass through the house half expecting to glimpse him there, but so far have not. The grief and loss I feel when I lose a beloved pet feels exactly the same as when I lose any other family member or friend and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Anyway that is all I am going to say for now, except to suggest that this thread be made a sticky. I'm sure it would continue to grow and could become a place for those who have lost a beloved pet to come for comfort. What do others think about this thread being made a sticky?

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Anyway that is all I am going to say for now, except to suggest that this thread be made a sticky. I'm sure it would continue to grow and could become a place for those who have lost a beloved pet to come for comfort. What do others think about this thread being made a sticky?

Here here! :thumbs up

mikischo
June 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately I have not been blessed with these feelings or sightings. I wish I was so that I knew that they were ok.

I often think of my rottie Ben however and miss his 'ARRORAH' in the mornings. I think of that often. Boy do I miss him.:sad:

So if anyone feels a big rottie next to them - send him my way!:)

BenMax, I really don't expect any sightings either. Mickey doesn't have to show himself to me and, in my case, I might actual feel worse if I did see him but was unable to touch him. I hope his beautiful spirit has better things to do than to waste much time in this physical home where I can no longer feed him and touch him and show my love for him, although I can't help but think of him often and still half expect to see him in his favorite spots.

But hearing that others have experienced some of these signs does help me by strengthening my belief and hope that the spirit or soul continues to exist after the shell that was the body becomes weakened and broken and can no longer support the beautiful life it contained.

TwinTails
June 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM
In my experience (and reading others' experiences), your loved ones can return to you in dreams, if you are unable to see them while awake. I have these dreams often (both critters and deceased family members), and I always take great comfort in them. The key is to not dismiss what you think or feel, your first reaction (that it is them) is usually right. Our minds are trained by society & often our parents/guardians that such feelings are pure imagination. Personally it has taken me years to accept that what I experience is real and not imaginary. Once I accepted that, I opened myself to greater experiences :) Don't ever give up hope of someday seeing your loved one, one way or another they will let you know that they are ok ;)

BenMax
June 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I have seen both Ben and Max in my dreams but only in their final moments. I am not sure what this means other than the fact that I do not accept that they are gone....

What I do believe however is that animals do have souls - they have to since they are the purest form of life in this universe. They are caring, trustworthy, eager to please, remorseful, sincere, loving and loyal. We as humans faulter in all these areas but animals remain innocent and pure. For this reason I believe that they are most deserving of eternal life, where they are only judged on goodness and purity....so I guess they are not judged at all then!

Wherever they are, I hope that I will earn my way to them. I do faulter and I am definately not perfect, I hope that all my pets who crossed will be there for me.

This is such a great thread. I think it's my favorite even though it brings me to tears when I read everyone's experiences. It shows that we are all the same here on pets...we 'get it'.

smithduke
June 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I agree that this thread should be made into a "sticky" :thumbs up.

Hearing Kitty's meow was the first experience for my hubby and I in getting a visitation from a pet. Of all the cats I would have expected to visit me, I thought it would have been Dillon because we were so bonded! My hubby expected Bob to visit him because of his special bond with him. Since it never occurred, a visit from Kitty was the last thing we expected to happen!

The world, and spirit world, works in mysterious ways and I'm glad it does!! :angel2: :pawprint:

quincymycat
June 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I too believe that our departed loved ones do come to us. I have seen that unexpected little shadow out of the corner of my eye, and have seen some of my current gang repeating behaviours that were "particular" to a departed soul, but only perhaps once - just enough to call my attention to what they are doing, never to repeat it again.
I recall once meeting a "psychic" at a social event only to have her tell me that I have "so many cats around me". This woman did not know me from Adam/Eve(?) so I was surprised to hear such a comment, especially when she so accurately described a few to me. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I think it was accurate and made me feel a bit better that I will have great friends waiting for me if I should be lucky enough to make it to where they are.