Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kijiji etc...rant

TacoGrl
June 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Ok, so I am getting TIRED of sites like Kijiji and Cragislist. :frustrated:

I like free or next to free stuff like anyone else, so I browse there looking for deals. Lately however, there seem to be an abnormal amount of people with ads like : "6cu in freezer...needs thermostat, motor or freon replaced not sure, but otherwise in excellent shape"...ummm...if the freezer doesn't freeze, what good is it? ...or the people who say "in excellent working order" and you get there and it won't start...i have a BBQ that I have stripped and am using the shell as a planter after that lesson was learnt. The list goes on.

I think these folks are just trying to get someone to haul away their junk for free...what is wrong with people? :frustrated:

...yes I know, you get what you pay for, but still, I wouldn't give someone something that doesn't work. :sad:

Luvmypitgirls
June 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I know a lot of folks who end up with buyers remorse after buying off Kijiji.

Sometimes tho, there are great deals to be had.
I need a chainlink dog run for our new house, so the dogs don't destroy the yard. We found one on Kijiji, 8ft by 10ft and 6 ft high, with 2 gates, privacy slats for 250, we pick it up tomorrow. We went to get it today but the top and bottom don't breakdown in half, so we have to take the topper off our truck for it to fit.

luckypenny
June 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just sold Frenchy's pool pump today on Kijiji...to a family who's been considering a canine addition for the past year...so I gave them the website for the Rescue I foster for :D.

I guess like with everything else, it's buyer beware. Perhaps if it's something costly, you can ask the sellers to offer a 7 or 10 day written warranty?

TacoGrl
June 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I too have gotten some good deals (a really nice stand-up mirror-the swivel type for $10, a cedar pantry for free, etc.)...it just seems lately there have been a lot of people with less than honorable intentions...and it is frustrating.

luckypenny
June 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
That's too bad....they should be freecycling their stuff instead to ppl who don't mind fixer-uppers. Hope it doesn't happen to you again :fingerscr.

Luvmypitgirls
June 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I too have gotten some good deals (a really nice stand-up mirror-the swivel type for $10, a cedar pantry for free, etc.)...it just seems lately there have been a lot of people with less than honorable intentions...and it is frustrating.

Unfortunately, I think the economic situation has brought out more of the "shady" ppl with less than honorable intentions on buy and sell sites. And you are right it is frustrating.

Went to look at an antique sideboard, they claimed it was in excellent condition, just a nic or two. I got there and well, the back had some big holes in it done by a hammer obviously so they could run stereo wires thru it, and it was missing a leg and sitting on a brick. She said the brick was included in the 500 dollar asking price..:frustrated:...seriously...:frustrated:

It also had some minor water damage, and a couple serious "nics".
I guess my definition of excellent condition is much different than some ppls.

TacoGrl
June 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately, I think the economic situation has brought out more of the "shady" ppl with less than honorable intentions on buy and sell sites. And you are right it is frustrating.

Went to look at an antique sideboard, they claimed it was in excellent condition, just a nic or two. I got there and well, the back had some big holes in it done by a hammer obviously so they could run stereo wires thru it, and it was missing a leg and sitting on a brick. She said the brick was included in the 500 dollar asking price..:frustrated:...seriously...:frustrated:

It also had some minor water damage, and a couple serious "nics".
I guess my definition of excellent condition is much different than some ppls.

Niiiiice.

That reminds me of an "excellent condition" Jeep I went to look at...I collect diecast Jeeps (models, plastic and wood too) and have quite the collection. I went to this fella's house to look at a 1950's ice cream Jeep and all the wheels were bent in and loose...the windshield frame was cracked...the whole undercarriage was rusted and the seats were missing!!! He wanted $150 for it!!! :eek:

Ford Girl
June 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I hear ya!! lol! its annoying, and some things people aks crazy amounts of $$ for and its junk.

When we have junk to give away or that we dont want, we put it in our ally and it disappears over night. lol!!

Luvmypitgirls
June 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Niiiiice.

That reminds me of an "excellent condition" Jeep I went to look at...I collect diecast Jeeps (models, plastic and wood too) and have quite the collection. I went to this fella's house to look at a 1950's ice cream Jeep and all the wheels were bent in and loose...the windshield frame was cracked...the whole undercarriage was rusted and the seats were missing!!! He wanted $150 for it!!! :eek:

So cool that you collect diecast Jeeps.:D
My youngest son has a collection of the bigger size "Dubs" and "Homies".

I have an old Tonka truck, left behind by the ppl that lived here before, it dates back to the 50's, there is a little tiny dent in the box canopy, barely visible, and other than that it's mint.

I've been offered as much as 400 dollars for it, but my husband really loves it so we are holding onto it.