Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Landlords and tenants.

NoahGrey
June 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, i moved to a city close to Toronto. My landlords are stating that I can not park my Humane Society truck on the building property, for it is 'classifed' as a commerial truck and commerial trucks are not allowed on the property. I have been having to park my truck about a 5 min walk at a different complex, in there vistor parking. I also have to pay a monthly fee to park it there. While yes, even though it is a 5 min walk, it is not a good thing like at 2am, 4am, 1am, when you get called out...expecially if it is a busy busy night. Not only is it not safe, when it is winter...it is really gonna totally suck.

I have argued and even had my supervisor write a letter to them, that I am drive an emergany vechele and am on-call throughout the night. Also safety for me was another issue that was written in the letter. The landlords just say "If I let you, I have to let everyone" And "everyone" is me and another tenant in the building.

I have called the management head office and they just pass all of my emails and voicemails to my landlords because as my landlords put it "head office can't be bothered with people wanting to park commerical trucks here".

It's very frustating. Anyone know if a building can ban commerial trucks to park on your building property.

Thanks,

ACO22

Jim Hall
June 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Does your lease have any resrtictions on what yu can park in your spot?

TwinTails
June 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Have you contacted your local Landlord and Tennancy Association? They may have some answers for you, or may be willing to be a mediator for you :) Good luck!

TacoGrl
June 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Let me guess...Boardwalk? :rolleyes:

This is a tough one...without talking to them first (who woulda thought to ask :shrug:), if it says in the lease no commercial vehicles (which totally doesn't make sense) then you are SOL :sad: If it isn't in the lease, then I would try contacting the "Head Office" yourself...if that doesn't work, a little publicity (print or TV) about how they won't let an on-call emergency vehicle park there might at least get them to let you out of your lease and you can find a more reasonable place to live...especially in today's renter's market. :shrug:

Do your landlords own pets? If so, are they breaking any humane laws they could get fined for? ;)

growler~GateKeeper
June 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Are you paying as part of the lease for a parking spot in your building that you are currently not using? If so the least they could do is take that amount off the rent, so you can put it towards the other parking fee.

How big is your truck is it under a half ton?

How tall is the covered back of your truck?

This may or may not apply to you but according to this "standard lease" (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:fCZvcdMlxUYJ:www.lambrentals.com/Standard_Lease_Lamb_Real_Estate-New.doc+residential+tenancy+act+ontario+parking+sp ace+commercial+vechiles&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca):

The Tenant agrees that no motor vehicle other than private passenger automobile, station wagon, or commercial vehicle other than a one half ton van or pick-up truck with covered rear end not exceeding four feet in height, shall be parked in any part of the common areas, nor shall any repairs or servicing be made to such motor vehicle in the common areas or parking area and no motor vehicle shall be driven on any part of the common areas other than on a driveway or parking space.

I would have a really good read through your lease agreement :2cents:

NoahGrey
June 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
oh of course I read my lease. I always read stuff before I sign anything. It doesn't state in the lease.

And no, it's not Boardwalk.

ACO22

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
If it's not in your lease or prohibited by some bylaw, I can't see how they could disallow it. :shrug:

TacoGrl
June 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I don't see how they can disallow it either...check with their head office tomorrow...whenever someone says "Don't bother calling ----", it usually means they don't want you to call them because they are doing something head office won't approve of.

...just sounded like something Boardwalk would do :shrug:

NoahGrey
June 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have checked with head office like I had stated in my orginal post. They don't want to hear it and pass all of my emails and voicemails to my landlord. Not once as head office called or emailed my back regarding my issue.

ACO22

TacoGrl
June 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have checked with head office like I had stated in my orginal post. They don't want to hear it and pass all of my emails and voicemails to my landlord. Not once as head office called or emailed my back regarding my issue.

ACO22

Ooops...sorry...I thought it was your landlord telling you they didn't want to hear it...I guess my comprehension skills are somewhat lacking :o

Jim Hall
June 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
so the head off doesnt care so park it there what are they gonna do?

NoahGrey
June 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Well I talked to the Landlord and Tenant act. They said he would have to take me to a hearing and explain why I could not park my truck there. Or I could take him to a hearing and proof that I need the truck parked on the property and by me having to park my truck off the complex, it is causing my livelyhood and making my rental unit unenjoyable.

Jim H: I also spoke to her about them stating that they would ticket a commerial cehiele, but she said if they have a deal with the city, then the ticket would not be legal, however he could tow your truck cause it is on private property. I don't need to get paged out at 3am in the morning, and see that my truck as been towed. I was be royaly screwed. But then again, I am just thinking here but don't you think that he would get in deep trouble for towing an emergancy vechele? I would think so. They told me to get legal advice and see what moves I can make.

ACO22

chico2
June 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
OMG ACO,it's only a van,right,not a truck,what is their problem:evil:
Hope you get it sorted out.to your favor:fingerscr
My son parked his van(Standard Auto-Glass)in his condo's parkinglot,but he owned the condo.

NoahGrey
June 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Well this morning I went up to one of the houses right across from my complex and asked the gentleman who lives there if I could park my truck. I even told him that I would pay to park my truck in his driveway. He said that he would talk to his wife (as he put it, she wears the pants in the family *lol*) But I could park there tonight. Keep you fingers crossed that I can park there.

ACO22

Gail P
June 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM

ACO22

Where is head office? Can you go there in person to see them so they can't just pass off the emails and/or voicemail? Confront them face to face and explain why you need your vehicle parked close by. Even if the neighbour is nice enough to let you park there, you shouldn't have to.

muggsmom
June 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
I would go to a legal clinic, there's no charge and they will advise you and probably send a letter off to head office. They tend to pay attention to letters from lawyers.

Good luck.