Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training problems - Give paw/stay

Rheves
June 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi all, I'm trying to teach my dog Phoebe a few tricks, she knows come and sit right now. I taught her give paw but she seemed to have picked up that she should lick my hand and then put her paw there which I do not want, how can I correct this?

Should I hold her face forward so she cannot lick me and let her put her paw in my hand or say NO any time she tries it?

I've also been trying to teach her 'stay' and having no luck at all. As soon as I say 'stay' she will run up to my feet and lay on her stomach, before I even take a step backwards. I have her sit first and then put my palm up towards her and give the command, even though I say NO when she does this it hasn't discouraged her from doing it the next time.

lia12
June 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
don't know about the and licking but for the STAY maybe you are going to fast. With your dog on leash stand beside her and give the command STAY with hand signal ,then swivel directly in front of her keeping her in place. Count to 5 and swivel back beside her then praise her lots. Do this for a few days , then when you swivel take one step back when you are in front, count to 5 and return to her side and praise her. Keep doing this counting longer each time and backing away 1 step each time she stays in place for a week, In no time she will stay no matter where you go when you tell her to stay. Don't forget the flat hand command as you give the command Stay and leave.

growler~GateKeeper
June 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to teach my dog Phoebe a few tricks, she knows come and sit right now. I taught her give paw but she seemed to have picked up that she should lick my hand and then put her paw there which I do not want, how can I correct this?

Should I hold her face forward so she cannot lick me and let her put her paw in my hand or say NO any time she tries it?

I've also been trying to teach her 'stay' and having no luck at all. As soon as I say 'stay' she will run up to my feet and lay on her stomach, before I even take a step backwards. I have her sit first and then put my palm up towards her and give the command, even though I say NO when she does this it hasn't discouraged her from doing it the next time.

I think in your training of commands you should not be using the word NO. She is already associating that with what she is currently doing, from your description she has already "learned" that NO means come to you and lay at your feet.