Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who knows electrical stuff?

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
We've been doing a lot of work around the house lately, and one chore has been to replace the old paint-covered, almond-coloured :yuck: light switches and plug outlets with new ones. It's not a complicated job, but dang it, we're stumped on this one!!!

We have three outlets in our kitchen all on the same wall. DW removed the old ones and didn't note the configuration of the wires. Now, for the LIFE of me, I can't get the darn things to work!!!

What we see in each one: one ground wire, one black wire, one white wire and one red wire. They're obviously not in series. I have no idea what the source is. I did some googling the other day and found that it might have been a simple case of removing the little metal tab on the one side, which I did, and it still doesn't work. We have ONE outlet that works now, and I'm getting tired of switching the coffee maker, microwave, coffee grinder etc etc plugs all the time :yell:

HELP!!!!!

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
:laughing::laughing: I think it is called a kitchen split, I'll copy and paste your post and e-mail DH. It had him extremely confused too when he did some renos many years back, hopefully he remembers what he did.

breeze
June 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
bendy..

mike says the regular outlets ( unless it's a three way switch) should only have black white and ground no red.

he asked if you have a meter?? to test if there is power there on the red

he asked for more info if possible

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
:laughing::laughing: I think it is called a kitchen split, I'll copy and paste your post and e-mail DH. It had him extremely confused too when he did some renos many years back, hopefully he remembers what he did.

Oh my gosh if he knows how to fix this I'll do a happy dance!!!

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3616211659_91e46b36fe_o.jpg

Yeah it looks like the one on the bottom right....

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Here is his answer:

1. Make sure the tab you removed is on the brass / copper side of the switch NOT the silver side. On the brass / copper side this is where you should make your split, One red wire to the top and one black wire to the bottom which activates your split. On the silver side this is where you make you negative connection, make sure that the on the silver side you DO NOT remove that tab otherwise you will run out of negative wire.

2. If you did removed them you have three options;
a. option one use the silver side for your positive connection and copper for negative; or
b. option two with the use of marrets extend a white wire to your top and bottom outlet (split); or
c. use new outlets and make sure you only brake off the positive tab (copper side)

Hope this help

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Geez, bendy, I thought geeks were supposed ta know this stuff! :p You might have to give up your Prezidency! :laughing:

Oh, but I do feel your pain--we're so bad here that we just get an electrician in to do that sort of thing--"better broke than electrocuted" is our motto. :o

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Here is his answer:

1. Make sure the tab you removed is on the brass / copper side of the switch NOT the silver side. On the brass / copper side this is where you should make your split, One red wire to the top and one black wire to the bottom which activates your split. On the silver side this is where you make you negative connection, make sure that the on the silver side you DO NOT remove that tab otherwise you will run out of negative wire.

2. If you did removed them you have three options;
a. option one use the silver side for your positive connection and copper for negative; or
b. option two with the use of marrets extend a white wire to your top and bottom outlet (split); or
c. use new outlets and make sure you only brake off the positive tab (copper side)

Hope this help

Thanks L4H! I'll have to double check, but I'm 99% sure I only broke the tab on the one side, the brass/copper. So, the white wire would be my negative (on the silver side), does it matter if it goes to the top or bottom?

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I sent him a copy of the diagram.

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks L4H! I'll have to double check, but I'm 99% sure I only broke the tab on the one side, the brass/copper. So, the white wire would be my negative (on the silver side), does it matter if it goes to the top or bottom?

His answer:

No as long as you have connection on one or the other it will activate both top and bottom.

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ok thanks! I'll have to take another look and see if I can figure out where I went wrong...

Dog Dancer
June 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm soooo impressed! I actually have done a few little things like this, but not for a while now. We hired an electrician for our renos $$$$, but like Hazel said, better broke than electrocuted...

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
We've done almost all the work on our house ourselves...framing/drywall, tons of painting, molding, plumbing, new light fixtures/electrical, tiling...we're almost at the point where we're ready to hand it over to the professionals...we've got a few contractors coming to do work this summer for some big jobs...

Luvmypitgirls
June 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
--"better broke than electrocuted" is our motto. :o

AMEN!

We just went thru the same thing in our kitchen so I can relate, thankfully we have a friend that is an electrician and did it for free, because it took two entire days to fix the "mistakes" that were made by the previous owner of this house.

When all was said and done, our friend said it is a miracle that this house didn't burn down around us with some of the things he found.

How our home inspector missed some of these things when we bought this house years ago is beyond me.

The scortched and melted wires we found in the wall, have left me feeling sick to my stomach for days.
But it's all fixed and for the first time in 5 years all the lights and outlets work in the kitchen. We replaced everything from wires to ballists and bulbs ( I have one of those ugly drop ceilings in my kitchen :yuck:), new outlets and switches the works.

Still working on other electrical issues but at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....pardon the pun:o