Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog in fights...

Nagini
June 11th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hi all
My 8 mo female presa canario puppy has in the past 1 week been in 4 little fights. She has no behavior problems at all and is very calm and everything.

With fight I mean teeth out growling and lips stretched up so that they show the teeth. Charging towards each other, trying to get the neck, very rough and not good....

1. The first fightt, was with another female rottweiler puppy (1yo), this dog was in heat. They started playing together normally and then my Lily got the other dog on its back, Lily then puts her both arms over the dog, domination. And that has been okay in the past, if the dog under Lily is ok and Lily lets go soon. Its always worked out fine.

But this time Lily held the dog down and (I shouldve stopped it right here and now) but then Lily started growling and it turned into a fight and we took them apart. And I told Lily off big time. We use Cesar Millans techniques and philosophy and I put Lily on her side where she calmed down.

*** I thought the female being in heat had something to do with this? Anyone know how 2 females (1 in heat) affects things? ***

2. The next one was at the dog area at beach, lots of dogs, didn't see who started or what but I saw the other dog snap at my Lily and it turned into a fight.

3. 4. Then there is one dog who Lily has met since they both were 12 weeks. This dog is male, 1 mo younger than Lily and is a pit mix. They have had problems since the beginning, we thought they just don't like each other, or are too dominant to get along in the long run. They played together and it quickly twice turned into that fighting mode again, and we corrected them, which I am very happy about.

I want to say that I do not allow fighting AT ALL. And my dog is very dominant and strong minded, but I am the leader of my dog and we have no problems with her or her socializing and she gets along very well with everything. This is something Ive noticed in her very recently.

Many people say my race isnt suitable for normal dog playing, but I am not gonna avoid meeting other dogs this freely just like this, otherwise I think this might be a problem for her in the future. But the thing is, the second fight, no-one knows who started it or what the other dogs were like (in heat, unstable..?), and the two fights yesterday, it was a two way thing, not just Lilys fault. The other dog is very provoking bad behaviour...

Im glad that these have happened mostly with my friends so we have been able to correct our dogs and not just "freak out and run away". I guess dogs learn more about things that happen and we correct than just not being corrected at all.

Anyone have anything to say? :s
Sorry this is long one again, I had to explain a little.

mastifflover
June 11th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Female female is the worst combination especially if when they are dominant you can pretty much be assured there will be posturing if not aggression. Also as you know a Pressa can be a very dominant and aggressive and you really need to address the aggression asap because as she gets older and stronger it could become a real issue. Does she have the same issues with males? I agree the first incident could have had a lot to do with the other dog being in heat. Really watch to see what starts the aggression. I know with Clark if he decides to play with another dog it has to be a submissive dog otherwise there will be a fight. But you really need to keep socializing her because without it she will get more aggressive.

Nagini
June 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
thanks for your answer!

She has no problems with males, and this pit male she had an issue with is just been problematic relationship since the age of 12weeks.

She is well socialized otherwise, and we will keep socializing her even more now. And we will address every incident ASAP.

I know what the race is like, thats why I am always on my toes with the slightest change on her, and we are very strict with her.

Just wnated to know what you think, and mastifflover, I agree with you, so I think we are on the right tracks with her!

Especially at this age she will try things I think, and we will just have to show her where the line is and we will not bend!

mastifflover
June 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Post pics I would love to see her.

Nagini
June 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Oh absolutely :)
Here's my girl