Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange behavior in my 1 year old German Sheperd

oolafoo
June 10th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Recently my dog has been exhibiting strange behavior. It started out as just being clingy but then he started going on my couches which he never did before. This is also associated with trembling and restlessness. He won't eat or drink anything when these episodes happen and his tail is between his legs as if he is scared. Today the episode lasted all day. My vet ran a whole battery of test s and they came up negative as did his test for heartworms. The vet thinks it is seizures but if they were wouldn't he not respond to me? He gives me his paw when i ask and will sit when I tell him to during these episodes so I have a hard time believing it is a seizure. We are now going to start deworming him as a precaution. I'm totally confused because after the episode is done he is his old self, running and playing and sleeping. If any one has ideas I would really like to hear from you.

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I just read the other information you provided in your other post....do the episodes frequently happen after exercise? The trembling and tail-tucking almost sounds like he's in pain...

About the seizures and the ability to respond, well, there are different kinds of seizures. Our youngest dog gets seizures from time to time; it only affects her head/neck...basically she gets head tremors. During the seizure she is completely responsive and alert...but unlike your pup she does not appear to be in any distress at all.