Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crusted spot on nose and balding?

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Lady has a vet appointment today for two issues. One is this crusty (and sometimes gooey underneath) spot on top of her nose. When we adopted her back in March, she had a little spot of it, I thought it was a scab. It will grow and crust bigger, and then eventually she will lick it off or scratch it off. Underneath it will sometimes be a gooey substance, or a blood red spot. The crust always comes back.

In May she was on antibiotics for it for two weeks, and it appeared to have some minor improvement in the appearance, but as soon as the meds were done, it remained the same.

So today's visit is a follow up to determine why the meds didn't work, and what this could possibly be. Does anyone have any ideas? Because we only adopted her in March, we don't know how long her nose has been this way. I will say, that while on the antibiotics, her nose was way more wet and juicy (not the crusty part)...like most dogs...than it is off the antibiotics. :shrug:

So the second issue she is being seen for today is a few bald patches. We are new to having a dog that sheds, and so we are not familiar with the pattern or what is normal. Lady is brushed every few days with my fur buster comb, and I have removed a great deal of undercoat from her shoulders down to her bum (head and neck are not really loose enough yet). She has these spots though, that are not exactly "bald" but they certainly look it compared to the rest of her. There is a very thin layer of hair on these spots.

I'm wondering if that is normal, or if it is connected to her nose somehow?

Sorry for the book, I'm just so curious what is going on. I cannot make it to the appointment today, so I am sending my questions along with my husband.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts you might have. :)

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
It's hard to tell about the "bald" spots without seeing them...the way you describe them sounds like the "bald" spots Autumn (my husky) gets when she's in her shedding season. Now is the shedding season! She loses her undercoat in clumps, so she has sections of her coat that look quite a lot thinner (and often darker) than the rest of her coat. If that's what it sounds like, then that's perfectly normal!

I'm not sure about the crusty nose thing. Hopefully someone else will come along who can give you some good advice about that! Good luck! :fingerscr

Cathy1
June 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Lady has a vet appointment today for two issues. One is this crusty (and sometimes gooey underneath) spot on top of her nose. When we adopted her back in March, she had a little spot of it, I thought it was a scab. It will grow and crust bigger, and then eventually she will lick it off or scratch it off. Underneath it will sometimes be a gooey substance, or a blood red spot. The crust always comes back.

Is it something like in this pic? I also have an appointment today at 1:30 because of the nose & balding.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63312

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
It's hard to tell about the "bald" spots without seeing them...the way you describe them sounds like the "bald" spots Autumn (my husky) gets when she's in her shedding season. Now is the shedding season! She loses her undercoat in clumps, so she has sections of her coat that look quite a lot thinner (and often darker) than the rest of her coat. If that's what it sounds like, then that's perfectly normal!

I'm not sure about the crusty nose thing. Hopefully someone else will come along who can give you some good advice about that! Good luck! :fingerscr

Lady's fur IS coming out in clumps, and we believe she is mixed with husky. Maybe it's just normal. :o

We really are newbies to the shedding dog world. LOL

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Is it something like in this pic? I also have an appointment today at 1:30 because of the nose & balding.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63312

Cathy, no...

Lady's nose doesn't *look* infected, it's not discoloured either. Just this wacky buildup of crust. I have scanned the internet and I'm wondering if it might be "hyperkeratosis".

Let me run and get some pics of Lady to post..that probably would have been a good idea from the start. LOL :o

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Ok, here is a pic of Lady's nose. It was very hard to get as she hates me coming near it. It doesn't ever look *infected* until it rips off. Then it can be either gooey or bloody underneath.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/ChantillyLayce/LADYNOSER005.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/ChantillyLayce/OSCARANDLADY003.jpg

Here is Lady's "bald" spot, though now I think I'm just overreacting. :loser: It's not actually bald, just thin. She does have flakes down her centre back if I lift up her top coat to pull out the tufts of undercoat. I don't know if THAT is normal or not. :confused:

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/ChantillyLayce/LADYNOSER004.jpg

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Lady *does* look like she has some Husky in her. Pretty girl! The photo of her fur looks normal :) That's what Autumn's looks like when she sheds. Even if we brush her during shedding season, the amount of hair she loses in patches makes her look neglected or something, lol! Of course if Lady's already going to the vet, it can't hurt to ask about it.

As for the flakes...hmm I don't know. Could just be the quality of food she's eating, but it could be something else. I can think of a few things that might cause flakes...but I don't think they're necessarily a cause for concern.

Bina
June 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Pretty doggie....looks like Golden Retriever/Husky.
Sometimes those top of the nose sores are from rubbing on their food dishes when they eat.
Does she have a plastic dish?
If so, then try switching to a stainless steel or porcelain dish and wash it daily.
Good Luck.

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Pretty doggie....looks like Golden Retriever/Husky.
Sometimes those top of the nose sores are from rubbing on their food dishes when they eat.
Does she have a plastic dish?
If so, then try switching to a stainless steel or porcelain dish and wash it daily.
Good Luck.

Gosh, that would make sense! Never really thought about that.

Lady has a stainless steel food bowl, but she drinks from plastic. I will make sure to switch.

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
OK...

My husband is on his way home with Lady. $150 later.... (he is grumpy about the money...totally not a dog person like me)

The vet has prescribed another round of antibiotics (another $50) and sold hubby a new brand of dog food.

She said if we don't notice an improvement in a week, to take her back for bloodwork.

She is concerned by the balding patches and the nose that perhaps Lady has hyper-thyroid.

So...we wait a week and see.

Off to google hyper-thyroid in dogs. :sad:

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm...as far as I know, hyperthyroidism is pretty uncommon in dogs. It also presents with a bunch of other symptoms that you haven't mentioned...I know hypothyroidism can cause skin/coat problems, including the flaking. We thought Charlie, our cat, might have hypothyroidism (rare in cats, apparently), so I did some research. I found it's relatively easy and inexpensive to treat (although it is chronic).

What type/brand of food did the vet sell to your husband?

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hmm...as far as I know, hyperthyroidism is pretty uncommon in dogs. It also presents with a bunch of other symptoms that you haven't mentioned...I know hypothyroidism can cause skin/coat problems, including the flaking. We thought Charlie, our cat, might have hypothyroidism (rare in cats, apparently), so I did some research. I found it's relatively easy and inexpensive to treat (although it is chronic).

What type/brand of food did the vet sell to your husband?

Sorry, I had originally typed "hyper" but I meant "hypo".

She has prescribed Medi Cal Dental. I'm wondering, even though she said it contains omega fatty acids, if I should add more to her diet in addition.

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry, I had originally typed "hyper" but I meant "hypo".

She has prescribed Medi Cal Dental. I'm wondering, even though she said it contains omega fatty acids, if I should add more to her diet in addition.

Oh, that makes more sense. Good! Apparently hyperthyroidism, when it is diagnosed in dogs, is very serious...so hypothyroidism by comparison doesn't seem so bad - and like I said, it is relatively inexpensive to treat!

Charlie had really bad dandruff and would lose what I assumed was an abnormally large amount of hair. We've been adding cod liver oil (in liquid form) to his food and found that it helped. I don't know if it would be necessary for Lady, though, if her food contains a good amount of fatty acids. :shrug: It probably would have been cheaper to add fish oil than buying that food though! Our old vet used to try to sell us expensive vet diets all the time...and they're not always that good :frustrated: as was pointed out to me by the wonderful folks on this forum.

LittleLoves
June 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Well, the first ingredient on this food is corn...sooooo???? I thought that wasn't good?

I think I will add some oil to her diet. I wish I knew more about these things!!

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I have a feeling corn is even worse for cats, but also not all that good for dogs, and if it's the first ingredient in the food then that usually means it's being used as a filler (I guess that's the best way to put it...). (I forgot to add:) skin problems in dogs can obviously be caused by allergies to ingredients in their food. I'm surprised that if your vet thinks the food might be to blame, that she/he would give you a food with corn as the #1 ingredient...as corn is one of the most common allergies in dogs!

There's some really good info about corn in pet food here:
http://holisticpetfood.wordpress.com/2007/12/10/cornophobia-demon-corn-is-corn-in-pet-food-really-all-that-bad/

Wow, some vets really love to hawk this crap food. I couldn't believe how much we were spending on the vet diet for our cat, and then we found out how bad it really was for him...

I think fish oil is a good place to start...I'm sure others on this site will also have really good suggestions! Oh, and I almost forgot, flax seed oil is a good alternative to fish oil if you can't stand the smell. It's very good for the skin/coat. Of course, if it is hypothyroidism, additives to the food won't really help in the short term, but it won't hurt to try!

LittleLoves
June 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Well, Lady has been on antibiotics for days now, and I am noticing an improvement on her nose. I bought Dr. Goodlife (I think that's the name) Bena Fish Oil capsules and have been putting them in her food (3 per day) and maybe I'm seeing what I want to, but her coarse hair seems to be improving. I don't know if that can really happen that fast or what? :confused:

Oh, and something else....

Since changing her food to what the vet sold us, Lady's breath, which was once DISGUSTING, is now scentless!!!! :D

kandy
June 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm glad the antibiotics seem to be having an effect. If the sore on her nose comes back after the antibiotics are done, you might ask your vet about canine lupus. We had a GSD with it, and the sores he would get on his nose looked just like that.

You might want to do some further research on the medi-cal food though - IMO it's nothing but cheap fillers with a bunch of vitamins/minerals added that costs as much as a premium food. I don't believe it's the food itself that does any good for the animal, it's the additives. If the vet prescribed it strictly for the levels of fatty acids, then you aren't getting near as much as you think. The manufacturing process destroys most of the omega 3's and creates an over-abundance of omega 6's. You'd be much better off to feed a good food and supplement with a high quality fish oil.

LittleLoves
June 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm glad the antibiotics seem to be having an effect. If the sore on her nose comes back after the antibiotics are done, you might ask your vet about canine lupus. We had a GSD with it, and the sores he would get on his nose looked just like that.

You might want to do some further research on the medi-cal food though - IMO it's nothing but cheap fillers with a bunch of vitamins/minerals added that costs as much as a premium food. I don't believe it's the food itself that does any good for the animal, it's the additives. If the vet prescribed it strictly for the levels of fatty acids, then you aren't getting near as much as you think. The manufacturing process destroys most of the omega 3's and creates an over-abundance of omega 6's. You'd be much better off to feed a good food and supplement with a high quality fish oil.

Actually, I am going to do some research and see what else there is I could buy. The medi-cal was $27 for an 8 lb bag. I don't want to go cheap, but if that brand isn't all it's cracked up to be I may as well find something else.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you for the Lupus hint, I will definitely ask.

kandy
June 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
For a dog food, I would suggest that you buy the best food you can afford. It pays for itself in the long run, and it cuts down on the amount of poop too! I'd stay away from anything with corn or with 3 or more grains in the first five ingredients. You want a good quality meat protein source listed first. Personally, I stay away from foods with any kind of gluten, unnamed protein sources (ie meat meal vs chicken meal), corn, tomato pumace and beet pulp. Although I will put up with either tomato pumace or beet pulp if the rest of the ingredient lists look good. Both of those are stool hardners so they can mask issues that would present symptoms in loose or runny stools. I also can't buy anything with barley in it - one of the dogs is allergic and I try to keep all of them on the same food.

Lots of folks here recommend looking at this site:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
It has a list of things to avoid - and it gives ratings on food.

I like this site because it teaches you how to read the labels and what those ingredients mean. It also lists the ingredients for almost any dog food you can think of:
http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

BenMax
June 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I put a foster pup who has allergies and demodex on Natural Balance Duck and Potatoes. I use the kibble and the can. It really did wonders for her.

LittleLoves
June 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thank you for the suggestions! :)

TracieB
July 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My dog has the same thing on her nose. The vet said it was hyperkeratosis. He prescribed KeraSolv gel which has pretty much controlled it. I've also found that during the summer when she's in the sun quite a bit at the pool or the beach we don't even need the gel.

CearaQC
July 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I put a foster pup who has allergies and demodex on Natural Balance Duck and Potatoes. I use the kibble and the can. It really did wonders for her.

I've been trying to find an allergy food for Sandy but they don't sell any of that brand here. Does anyone know where we could order it online in Canada and have it shipped?

They don't have Orijen here either or any other brands that so many people seem to mention on here, like Wellness.

Ah the joys of living in a small town. :laughing: They never have anything we want it seems. And especially for pets, the selection is REALLY limited.

growler~GateKeeper
July 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I've been trying to find an allergy food for Sandy but they don't sell any of that brand here. Does anyone know where we could order it online in Canada and have it shipped?

They don't have Orijen here either or any other brands that so many people seem to mention on here, like Wellness.

Ah the joys of living in a small town. :laughing: They never have anything we want it seems. And especially for pets, the selection is REALLY limited.

Ceara try this site: http://www.thecleverk9.ca/naturaldogfood.html Natural Balance isn't in this list but it is mentioned at the bottom of the page. They ship out of St Catherines Ont, their email address is also at the bottom of the page.

Leslie Thompson
January 31st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Poor darling! We went through the same thing with our dog, Lucy. She would get the worst scabs on her nose! Sometimes it would be dry and crusty (otherwise known as hyperkeratosis) and other times it would be so bad that it would cause her nose to bleed and would look infected. It was very painful for her.

Our vet prescribed various things but nothing ever really worked. However, we recently found a natural product called Snout Soother and it has worked miracles on her nose! I wish we had found it sooner and saved all the money we wasted at the vet. She is a much happier dog with a healthy nose now.

I should mention that it is possible your dog has discoid lupus and that could be the underlying condition.

Hope this helps,

Leslie

MizLiz
August 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
My 13 year old Pomeranian has this same condition. I just got back from the vet, and he recommended KeraSolv. Just one little problem...it's not being made at the present time, due to legal problems with the FDA. There is an equivalent called kerasal, and it can be found in most drugstores, like Walgreen's and RiteAid.

Our dog has had an eye removed (glaucoma) and the vet explained that the tear ducts were removed as well. The ducts drain out near the nostrils, and that's what has caused the problem. I'm going to get some of this stuff and see if it works.

MaxaLisa
August 3rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
My dog's nose like that, seems to only respond to cipro. He's been on doxycycline, amoxicillin, and tylan, and the only thing that has worked has been the cipro. Some dogs it might be fungal....the other thing that helped a bit is a topical salve that has about 4 things in it, two antibiotics, an anti-fungal and a steroid, I think, like panalog ointment.

Don't know if you made sure that you're not feeding fro ma plastic bowl, I missed that part. I have the KeraSolv here, it didn't help.