Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gahh ! Over vaccinating questions

babymomma
June 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I know this topic must be brought up alot.. But i have a few questions..

Keely is due to be vaccinated again within the next few months... but, i know that gettting all those vaccines yearly is over vaccinating and i dont like the idea of pumping my dog full of chemicals every year.. so Im going to attempt to ask a few questions, forgive me if they arent clear, because i havent the sweetest clue about vaccines..

How often SHOULD they be done??

Would they do all the ones she had as a puppy (ie, Rabies, bortella and a crapload more)

Are there any i SHOULD be getting yearly? I was thinking that rabies should be done every time they are due..

And i have heard that some vaccines to prevent things that can be carried in certain places should be done everyyear.. Um, i cant remeber the name of something a read about, Its a virus or something carried by a tick or something and its only in certain places, but people living in these certain places should be getting there dog vaccinated yearly because its very deadly or something..Wow, Im sorry if anybody gets confused, cause i half dont even know what im trying to say:o

Is there anything is Newfieland that anybody would know about (I havent heard anything) that i should be vaccinating against?

And a question my aunt asked me to ask..

She got her 6 week old (I know, i know, 6 weeks is far to young to be away from mommy, and shes had her puppy for almost 2 weeks now :frustrated:)
puppy vaccinated yesterday and she wouldnt eat her food today and she had a runny poop, could that be caused because of her vaccine? Im thinking yes, but i wanted to be sure..

Thanks for listening to my rambellings.. I swear i confuse myself sometimes, i can only imagine how you all feel.. :p

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I don't have an answer for you, I'm just as clueless as you are. I'm hoping to hear the answers too! I just HAD to say...LOL "Newfieland"!! My boyfriend is from Newfieland, too, but I've never heard it called that :laughing:

Sorry, :offtopic: post over. Continue with the vaccine discussion, I'm curious to know about them, too.

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Luckypenny posted a link on a new thread that has a lot of information. Might answer some of your questions.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63351

Longblades
June 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I agree, check out the many links that Luckypenny has posted. But I also wanted to say, there is no one size fits all. The tick borne disease you are talking about is Lyme disease, which, incidentally, people can also get. Part of the equation to consider is how prevalent is the disease in your area? How many cases have been reported? How hard or easy is it to treat? Sometimes the cure is less risky than the preventative, meaning that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", does not always hold true. You really should consult with your Vet and possibly your local health unit. This applies to many of the vaccinated for ailments.

babymomma
June 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you all.. The link is very helpful!

babymomma
June 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
EOF- I found this (http://www.caberfeidh.com/Revax.htm) to be very helpfull. Maybe it would be of some use to you?

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Babymomma, that was definitely interesting. Really informative and I'm glad that sources were actually cited (one of my pet peeves is when scientific info is provided with no mention of the source). Thanks for the link! Now on to luckypenny's recommended reading...