Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bright red spot under my dogs mouth

julia.gardner
June 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Can anyone please tell me what they think this might be, and if I should take her to the vet. Looks like a bright red pimple, that is ready to pop.

bendyfoot
June 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
If it was me, I'd just keep an eye on it for a few days and monitor for changes. Does it seem itchy? How long has it been there?

julia.gardner
June 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Doesn't seem itchy and it showed up this morning.

bendyfoot
June 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Again, IMO, I wouldn't be scampering off to the vet just yet. Maybe put a little dab of polysporin on it then just wait and see what happens. That wouldn't be setting off any alarm bells for me, and I'm totally paranoid!:D

julia.gardner
June 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM

ScottieDog
June 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm in the watch and wait camp too. And I really over-react to things I've been told. One of my dogs had something similar on her back. It was gone in a few days.

TacoGrl
June 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Looks like maybe a moskito (sp?) bite or something...try cleaning her face with some gentle soap and see what it looks like tomorrow. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Looks a bit like a black fly bite--we have them around here for a few weeks this time of year and they're nasty little buggers. The bites typically leave round bright red circles like that...

I'm with the rest--if it's a black fly bite, it'll be nearly gone tomorrow. If the redness spreads, then you might want to consult with a vet.

:fingerscr that she's back to normal tomorrow!