Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disturbing Phone-Call

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Yesterday when we went to get Bailey,we found her outside..
I figured they just forgot about her again:confused:
After our walk,she was fine,her usual sweet self,then when we relaxed for some cuddles and treats in my backyard,she seemed desperate for food,crying for it.
Well,now I know why:sad:her owner called this morning,Bailey has the runs and they are not feeding her,is that the norm:shrug:
She is trying to get her to the vet today and wants me to stick around close with Bailey,which is fine..
She said they'd left her alone on Sunday all day and she pooped all over the kitchen-floor,runny yellowish stuff:sad:I wish they would have told me:yell:we were home..
Anyway,my imagination is running wild,already had a cry:sad:I am soooo afraid,if Bailey is sick they'll put her down:sad::sad:

BenMax
June 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I don't think you should worry too much. This could be nothing at all. Infact, spring is the time of year that animals usually get intestinal problems. Could be worms, parasites, giardia or coccidia which are all treatable.

Not feeding the dog is not ideal. They should really be feeding her rice and cooked ground beef with a little plain yogurt. This usually settles the stomach and keeps her hydrated.

How old is Bailey?

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Oh Chico, I hope she's okay.:pray: Maybe she just ate something that didn't agree with her. Did you tell them Vinnie had the poops too? There must be something going around. Do you know when they are taking her to the vet?

BenMax
June 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Sorry - is Bailey a cat or dog?.....sorry...:sad:

Jim Hall
June 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
mmm rice and meat lol what ben said sounds like the owners are out to lunch like always?

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
BenMax,Bailey is 9yrs old,a Cocker we've been walking for 3 yrs.
I could be wrong,but feel it would be a relief for them if she was no longer around:sad:I hope I am wrong:pray:
I don't think they would bother making rice and beef for her,or give her yougurt,but if I get a chance I'll tell the owner.
They did not feed her this morning either:sad:
Here she is..

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Chico, Bailey's story just breaks my heart.

BenMax
June 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
LIsten - if they don't want this dog, I will source out a really good rescue for her. A home that will take care of her and love her. If there are medical problems I will still try. What do you think?

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
A-G,I am probably over-reacting:pray::fingerscr
14+,the owner said her vet is busy,but if there is an opening she'll call,otherwise 4pm today.
I have had hints from the male owner,saying Bailey is old,going blind,deaf etc,which is not true:yell:
I was thinking,Bailey eats everything and is especially fond of grass-fertilizer,their lawn was just fertilized friday.
We don't do anything to our lawn..

Golden Girls
June 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Bailey's story breaks my heart too, just sad how their "all" too busy. Chico bless your heart that your in his life :angel2:

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
BenMax,I only hope if they do decide on something drastic,I will know ahead of time....
I hope I am 200% wrong:pray:

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM
GG,Bailey is a little girl,I think she's ok with her life,she knows nothing better.
I think the female owner loves her,but the kids(teenagers)and the father could care less.

BenMax
June 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
BenMax,I only hope if they do decide on something drastic,I will know ahead of time....
I hope I am 200% wrong:pray:

Please keep an eye on the situation. Ask them to give you an update before making a hasty decision. Contact me immediately if need be and I will source out some options.

She looks like a sweet soul and deserves better. Bless you for caring for her.

Shaykeija
June 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Is there anyway they would give her to you? This is so sad for the dog...

aslan
June 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Chico, it is more than likely just an upset tummy just like vinnie. If it's possible could you get some of her kibble, and some pumpkin. She has to eat something at this point. Benmax is right, this time of year is puppy upset tummy time, all these new things to eat on the ground, like dandelions and helicopters. If you can't get the stuff and would like to wait, once grace comes home i could grab you a can of pumpkin, yogurt, etc. Ideally browned ground beef and rice or boiled chicken would help the poor baby, but kibble if nothing else.

Diamondsmum
June 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
aww chico :fingerscr:goodvibes: for Bailey

Everyone has great advice for you girl:thumbs up

lia12
June 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
How sad that an old dog should get treated this way, almost like an old pair of shoes that you don't need anymore. The standard for the runs is to give plain white rice with boiled chicken, helps them in no time and they don't lose their energy. I hope the owners do right for their dog, are they frogetting old age will creep up on them someday? She looks like such a sweet girl, it's heartbreaking.

diandpat
June 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Aw, that is THE most pathetic picture :cry: Poor Bailey :sad:

I can't believe they would let this poor soul suffer with NO food. Hope she is drinking water at least...if she gets dehydrated it could make everything worse.

If she still has the runs you can always give her half a Pepto...do it for Ginger and Hobo often, by vet's orders.

I hope she gets to the vet today and that all is well.

Bless you Chico2 :angel:

Love4himies
June 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Isn't starving a dog considered cruelty and can be reported to the OSPCA???? Thank goodness Bailey has you, chico.

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
When we went to get her,the stink was terrible,her poop is just like water and yellowish:yell:
But I'm used to it by now.
They had papered the floor,so I just took it off and put on some new paper.
I broke down and gave her some kibble,she was soooo hungry,she drinks plenty of water.
I will tell the owner,if I see her, about the rice/chicken,also the Pepto.
Vinnie never had that kind of runs,not that watery.

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I just :pray:she will be fine,I'll try not to think dark thoughts..
It's good to know someone here would help her,in case they decide they want to let her go.
I would take her in a heartbeat,if I did not have 3 cats who don't like her.

kandy
June 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Well if the dog hasn't had any food at all, then of course her poops are going to continue to be nothing but water, there isn't anything else there! grrrrrrrrrrrr

I know that some people advise fasting a dog with diahrrea, but I've always just added cooked rice to their kibble. If it continues, then I'll go with the boiled chicken and rice.

Poor Bailey - thank dog you are there for him.

14+kitties
June 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Awww crap chico!! If it's not one thing it's another. :frustrated: Of course they need to feed the poor girl. What are they thinking? Starving her is not going to help. And they will probably find it is the fertilizer they put down. :wall:
BM - Thanks for stepping up again if need be. I have also told Chico I will take her if they decide they are going to "get rid" of her. I am hoping it won't come to that. I haven't talked to hubby yet. :rolleyes: Let's hope it doesn't come to that. :pray::fingerscr

kashtin's kin
June 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
So sorry to hear of this development with Bailey, chico; that poor dog is sure lucky to have you around. I do hope things improve re: her digestive etc. system, and in general. And, an :angel:, to the folks who are ready to step in...14+, I'd have to come live in your catuary if I took in one more critter :sad:. Anyway, little Bailey, you have more love on here than you do at home, obviously...

Tundra_Queen
June 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Chico, I hope u can help poor little Bailey and get the owners to give her some food. Could u maybe make her some rice and give her a little bowl of it?

Pepto? as in pepto bismol? I thought that was dangerous for dogs???

Debbie

Sara1585
June 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I know that I am new to the site but alot of times vet will recommend fasting for 24hrs and then introducing the food back. it can be hard to see the dog hungry but sometimes in the end it will end up being the best thing. By fasting the vet can determine if it is the food that might be the cause (bad bag of food, food allergies). Just a thought.

Frenchy
June 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Isn't starving a dog considered cruelty and can be reported to the OSPCA???? Thank goodness Bailey has you, chico.

I know it sounds bad , but , with dogs and diarhea , vets often say to not feed them for 24 hours , even 36 sometimes ! As long as they have water they will be ok. I , myself , don't do it this way.

my guys go through this often comes spring time. I will give them overcooked rice for 2-3 meals , then I add small amounts of kibble. Works everytime.

Frenchy
June 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Anyway,my imagination is running wild,already had a cry:sad:I am soooo afraid,if Bailey is sick they'll put her down:sad::sad:

LIsten - if they don't want this dog, I will source out a really good rescue for her. A home that will take care of her and love her. If there are medical problems I will still try. What do you think?

Chico2 , my offer still stands ....

BM , I always told Chico2 , if the owners didn't want Bailey anymore , I would take her. If that happens , I would need your help BM. To get someone in that area to assest Bailey with other dogs. Just to make sure she's ok with them. Then I would need help with transport ....

it would be a bit confusing with 2 Bailey here but it's doable. :p

I always loved Chico2's Bailey , reminds me of our only dog we had when I was a kid , a blond cocker named Puppy :rip:

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
You guys are all so great. :grouphug:

Chico, did they finally take her to the vet?

krdahmer
June 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
:grouphug: Oh Chico, you and that adorable Bailey have all the :pray::goodvibes: me and the gang can muster! Poor girl....hope it's just a tummy bug like Vinnie's.... although wouldn't the owners put 2+2 together and assume it's the lawn chemicals not something worthy of the worst case scenario.... geez.:frustrated::sad:

Dee-O-Gee
June 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Our Gryphon had a tummy bug about a month ago and while I didn't give him food for 24 hours, I at least gave him chicken broth. I boiled 1 cup water to 1 chicken bouillon cube then stuck a couple of ice cubes in it to cool down. The broth at least helped with electrolytes and kept up his strength.

My heart goes out to her and it sounds like a plan "B" is in place. :thumbs up

Whatever happens, I :pray: for the best interest in Bailey. :grouphug::grouphug:

Frenchy
June 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Looks like I have competition , found out earlier , 2 other pets.ca members want Bailey !!! :)

can't wait to hear an update about Bailey's condition :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I hope she's kicked her bug by tomorrow morning, chico! :goodvibes: She's such a sweetie-pie! Sad that her family doesn't seem to appreciate her like she deserves. :sad:

BenMax
June 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Chico2 , my offer still stands ....

BM , I always told Chico2 , if the owners didn't want Bailey anymore , I would take her. If that happens , I would need your help BM. To get someone in that area to assest Bailey with other dogs. Just to make sure she's ok with them. Then I would need help with transport ....

it would be a bit confusing with 2 Bailey here but it's doable. :p

I always loved Chico2's Bailey , reminds me of our only dog we had when I was a kid , a blond cocker named Puppy :rip:

If it comes down to that - I will do whatever I can to accomodate. She can stay with me so that I can cat and dog test.

Something tells me however, that alot of people just may be interested in loving this little face....

Chico2 - I really feel sorry for this dog. Thank dawg this pup has you. If you are able to convince them or nudge them to give her up- know that there alot of people that will assist. I never try to convince people to give them up - au contraire - but there are times when I see a dog or cat that should be appreciated and they are not - I then try to convince them to give up the little one. It's rare - but I have done it before. The big worry however is would they replace?

chico2
June 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thank you everyone for listening(reading)my rants and those who offer to help,Frenchy,BenMax and 14+:grouphug:
Bailey is safe for now,nice firm poops today,don't know what the vet gave her or did,but she's ok again.
It's good to know I know someone who could step in if they decide to get rid of her.:angel2:
This is one of the pit-falls of loving a dog that's not mine:sad:
I don't really ever talk to the owners,talk to the father more than the mother and he wants her gone,but for now she's safe.
She is good with other dogs,don't know about kitties though,I think my Rocky scared her.
Bailey says thank's showing she loves belly-rubs:pawprint:

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Chico, I'm glad to hear she's okay. Hopefully if the time comes when the father wants her gone, he'll mention it to you first!

14+kitties
June 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Awww, Bailey looks so happy getting her belly rubs from PoppaChico!!! So cute! I'm glad she is feeling better. Could have been so much worse. :highfive:
:grouphug: to you for caring so much!!!

Love4himies
June 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I am so glad to hear that Bailey is doing well :thumbs up.

Frenchy
June 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Bailey says thank's showing she loves belly-rubs:pawprint:

awwww you're killing me !!! :lovestruck:

I'm so glad she's doing better :thumbs up keep us posted .....

aslan
June 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Aaaaw i'm so glad she's feeling better. Gotta go tell Grace we wont be fighting frenchy for her.

Tundra_Queen
June 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I am sooooooo glad Bailey is feeling so much better!! Bless her and you for watching out for this sweet girl!! :grouphug:

Debbie

chico2
June 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Believe me,nobody was happier than me to see nice firm poops,it's amazing what nice poop can do to us:laughing:
I just wonder,if this bug whatever it is was passed to Vinnie,Bailey and now Rocky somehow.
I am really careful now,always washing my hands before going to Bailey and after I get back,changing the bowl of water,before I bring Bailey in to the back-yard.
If I get the chance I will talk to the owner,preferably the mom,giving her options,in case they decide Bailey is getting too old,seeing the dad said she's going deaf and blind,soooooo not true!
Aslan,she probably would love the company of other dogs,not always sleep all day,except for when we come.

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Whew! Glad to hear she's doing so much better! :grouphug: It's unsettling to know that the Mr wants her gone, though. :sad: Bailey is such a cutie-pie!!

chico2
June 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hazel,some people just don't see the cuteness in any animals,they don't like animals period.
Bailey was bought for the daughter to play with.
Well,that was nine yrs ago.
The kids(teenagers)are in the backyard right now,they would never consider letting Bailey be with them,it's sad,but I am sure it happens to many pups.

Sylvie
June 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Chico2,

I have a plan. You approach your neighbour, tell them you want to go to Woofstock but need a dog, You bring Bailey to the GSRT tent, turn your back and poof she is on her way to Frenchy. :laughing::laughing: By the time you get back to Oakville, she is in Frenchy's arms getting all the lovin she deserves. :lovestruck:

What do you think, they probably won''t miss her. :sad:

Just kiddin, but it sounded good.

chico2
June 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sylvie,sounds like a great plan,but no,I could not do that.:laughing:
Bailey is not an unhappy dog,I just think she deserves so much more:sad:
She would love to be at Frenchys or Aslans,with other dogs around she would have so much fun,now she sleeps most of the time:sad:

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Chico, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they decide to let you take Bailey off their hands soon.:D She really does deserve to know a better life. It's sad that the kids haven't had that love for animals instilled in them.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Chico2,

I have a plan. You approach your neighbour, tell them you want to go to Woofstock but need a dog, You bring Bailey to the GSRT tent, turn your back and poof she is on her way to Frenchy. :laughing::laughing: By the time you get back to Oakville, she is in Frenchy's arms getting all the lovin she deserves. :lovestruck:

:laughing:

Sylvie is my new best friend :thumbs up :p