Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sedation for trips?

LittleLoves
June 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hey folks!

My husband and I are taking our children and dogs camping in PEI this summer at the end of July.

Our recent addition, Lady, is a very nervous traveller. She cries in the back of the SUV for even short car rides (10 minutes) to the dog park (which she loves).

The drive to PEI will be around 3 hours. I am wondering if I should consider sedation for the trip? I am not against listening to her cry (I have kids afterall lol) but I am concerned about her become too stressed out. She is seven and we only adopted her in March.

I have some Rescue Remedy, and I have only used it for Oscar when he goes to be groomed. Not sure if that would be effective for the trip, and on a dog that weighs 66 pounds?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Lady is a joy and a perfect doggie, we can't imagine taking this trip without her, so if there is a way to make this easier on her we would love to know. :)

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Rescue remedy doesn't work on some of my gang. When I have to take Vlad to the vet, I have to give him a quarter of a Xanax. It's enough to calm him down and keeps him from getting really stressed but it doesn't make him loopy. Maybe ask your vet if that might be an option. Just have him figure the dosage out for you.

LittleLoves
June 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Ancient, I didn't realize they give dogs Xanax. LOL

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My Vlad is a :cat::D, but yeah, he gets regular Xanax, just a really small dosage. They work it out by their weight. I was able to just get it for him at the pharmacy and got myself a pill splitter.