Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My little Sam needs help :(

samsmom20
June 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Everyone,
Before i start, i did take sam to emerg vet on sunday morning.
Saturday afternoon it all started, sam began to poo blood and only blood.
Friday evening he had rummaged through the garbage when we were not home, so i dont know what he got into.
So sam began to poo blood, then take a few steps from where he tried to go, and vomit.
It looked like everything he got into was coming up, but i feared he would have a blocked intestine or something.
So Saturday night, he woke me up 5 times to go outside to bleed while trying to poo...and to vomit every time.
So 9am came and i had had enough, sam was going in.
The vet ran tests, did xrays and tested his pancreas and liver.
His liver results were high but his pancreas was good. He had no fever or anything, he was alert...tail wagging. Sam would never wag his tail if he was in pain one ounce.
After all the tests, the vet said he has gastroenteritis.
Sam was sent home with 3 bottles of pills...and put on gastro wet food, plus pouches of flora stuff. Its by purina i think.
Anyway, today he pooed a lil and the blood is going away.
But does anyone know how long itll be till he's back to normal health?
He's eating today and not vomiting...which is a huge step in the right direction....please help?
I'm scared for him...hes a 6 yr old shih poo that has been through so much in his short life.

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2009, 11:58 PM
It sounds like a pretty serious gastroenteritis, so it'll take a few days before he's feeling normal again, samsmom. The intestinal lining has to heal. But if he's eating and drinking and the blood is less, then he's on the mend :thumbs up

Patience, Mom :D

samsmom20
June 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
thanks so much,
He does seem to be getting more of his energy back.
This morning his didn't want breakfast, so i guess he wasn't feeling good.
there was more poo today, but runnier than ever.
But at least theres poo no more blood!
He always scares me when he gets sick.
The vet must love me too....600 dollars later :mad:
Oh well, anything to get sam better.

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Make sure he's drinking plenty of water--diarrhea can dehydrate them pretty easily. And if it doesn't clear up in a day or so, I'd make another vet appt.

I hear ya about the vet loving you, though. With our crew, it isn't uncommon for us to have $900 vet bills. We figure we've funded their new wing. :rolleyes: