Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergies

Cathy1
June 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I have been to the vet numerous times with Duke and the vet said he didn't know what was wrong with him. It started with licking the back feet late last summer until they were raw and the vet took a skin scraping and gave him predisone and said when he starts licking his feet again let him know so he can check which allergens are out there at that time because he believes it's something outside. Well all winter he has had problems with his nose being dry around the hairline, the skin would fall off and it would look really raw (pics to come) then he started getting bald spots along his side, belly and his private area. The skin along with the hair is falling out in chunks and he is very itchy. When I took the dogs to the vet on May 5 for heartworm test I said I wanted those bald spots checked because they were getting worse and they said they would take another skin scaping. The vet tech took Duke while I put Jasper in the truck because I was by myself that day. I went back in and about 5 min. later they brought Duke out and gave me more predisone. When the vet called a few days later with the results of the heartworm test which was negative I asked about the skin test they said they didn't do one. :wall: I took Duke back for the skin scraping and 1 week later the vet calls and says he doesn't see anything abnormal, I told him that I was going to get a second opinion. Ever since the original vet retired I found that the care they provide is terrible. I made an appointment at another vet for May 11 and had to have Duke's records sent over there. May 11 arrives only to find out that my vet didn't send the records over so they rescheduled my appointment for May 21. I go to that appointment and I am told that they don't have me marked down for an appointment and they were too busy to fit me in so I have to make another one for June 8, well on Friday I get a call that all monday appointments are cancelled so now I don't go in until Wednesday. My regular vet thinks it's something outside that he is allergic too but if that's the case would he be having the problem all winter ? I am thinking a food allergy. I am feeding him Innova. I uploaded a pic of his nose and his side up by his shoulder.

growler~GateKeeper
June 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Has this just started since last summer or has he had this in years past?

Was he vaccinated just prior to this happening the first time?

Have you changed anything in the house like new carpeting, new laundry detergent, new cleaning solutions?

What did the vet test for on the skin scraping they did? Did they check for demodex - this is an autoimmune disorder which can flare up during stressful situations, changes in the animal life or when vaccinated etc

Cathy1
June 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
He started licking his back feet last summer. Also last summer I noticed he was becoming very scared of thunderstorms and fireworks, he would run to the back door wanting outside but wouldn't let him because of pouring rain so he would run ino another room and pant. He used to be a little nervous of fireworks but never scared of thunderstorms. It was about January when we started noticing bald spots and alot of scratching and licking. This spring he started running and hiding everytime he would hear bangs or different sounds on the tv so we try to keep the volume turned down. The vet said he didn't think him being scared has anything to do with it but nothing else has changed in the house. The vet said he would test for demodex but said he didn't think that was the problem because that doesn't affect the nose.:confused: He called us and said it was negative. I take him to another vet tomorrow. Also in the last 2 weeks he has yellow stuff coming from his eyes.

Dee-O-Gee
June 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Ooohhh....the yellow discharge from his eyes doesn't sound good. Another opinion sounds like your best bet.

My sister-in-law's lab did the same thing as far as chewing on his paws then she switch his diet to a Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) and this stopped his chewing within a month or so.

As far as the thunderstorms--someone told me that they use a bounce fabric sheet and gently rub it onto their fur. Apparently, there is something in the static electricity of lightening that dogs can somehow sense and the fabric softener sheet helped with this sensation. :shrug:

Cathy1
June 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I just got home from vet and he said it's most likely a food allergy. He said to stay away from beef, wheat, dairy, and soybean. He wants me to change his food and treats. He is eating Innova and milkbones. He said something about his thyroid being at 18 and put him on 300 mg synthroid. I'm trying to find info on that. I'll search the food forum and see what I find. All he did was look at the tests my other vet did and gave us the info, but my vet said everything was normal. I think a vet change may be coming again. He said to bring him back in 2 months to see how he's doing. This is the first time I walked out of a vets with a bill under $100. :thumbs up

JennyPerry
June 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Cathy, my dog also suffers from yellow discharge from his eyes which is part of his allergies. My vet (I live in the UK) advised me to wash his eyes out 2 - 3 times a day with a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda - use one level teaspoon of powder and make up to 1 pint with boiled water. It works quite well and can be stored in a clean screw top bottle for several days. I also put Pred-Forte eye drops in his eye if it is very bad. However, these have to be used with caution because they can cause eye ulcers. He gets a crusty sore nose because he also gets a slight nasal discharge as well which I just bathe with water. Harvey has many food allergies and is allergic to practically everything. He used to have very bad colitis but since I have been very strict about his diet he has been ok. He has Salmon and Potato Wafcol which is hypoallergenic and has no dairy, soya, meat derivatives, wheat, corn or artificial preservatives or flavourings in it. However, as he's allergic to storage mites I can only buy the small bags of dog food. I give him either some poached fresh salmon or fresh tuna with it because he doesn't like eating dry food. I can only feed him tuna or salmon because he's allergic to white fish, which is apparently a different kind of protein. Harvey is also allergic to dust mites which make his paws swell up like balloons unless he's given some kind of immunosuppressant. I found all this out from having him blood tested for allergies at a laboratory (my vet supplies this service) which was rather expensive but it was worth it because at least I know what I'm up against. However, because he has been on Prednisalone for many years this has caused Cushing's Disease which is why he is now on Atopica which has made him very ill so I am now between a rock and a hard place in deciding what to do. I think you need to find a very good vet who is knowledgeable about these kind of problems. I wish you luck and you might be interested to know that I hardly ever walk out of the vets with a bill less than 100 either! Jenny

Cathy1
June 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thank for responding. I took over some print outs of foods and he thinks I should go with CANIDAE grain free. He said later on he might try to re-introduce beef into his diet but said grain free is the best way to feed. I am having a hard time finding treats so I may try making my own. Like the vet said "homecooked" is better anyway.

Winston
June 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
CAthy have you looked at the Orijen Fish Formula? It is really good..It is 75% meat 25% fruit and veggies. no grains and no by products.

Winston had I beleive a food alergy that had some similarities to your pup but not as severe and when I went from vet prescribed diet to Orijen all of the issues went away. Some dogs have a chicken allergy to so you may want to consider that! Good Luck with your pup! :thumbs up

Cathy1
June 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I just got done looking at Orijen Fish Formula and it looks pretty good and Duke loves fish. I'm leaving in a few minutes to get Orijen Fish Formula and to talk to them about some treats. Duke is missing having his milkbone and is driving me crazy with his whining, huffing and pawing at the cupboard where they are hid. If I don't find anything I'll have to start cooking.

3GirlsDad
June 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would suggest a raw diet. Many have found the benefits of a raw diet and food allergies are definely one. There are many others however. I used to feed our girls kibble and never will again. Research BARF diets.......

Cathy1
June 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Duke is a very fussy eater and I have tried raw but he will not touch it. He won't even eat wet food. I gave him some Orijen fish to try and so far he likes it.