Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toy help??

Diamondsmum
June 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
hey guys,

Looking for a lil wee bit of help..

Diamonds best buddy is Riley (2yrs pics below) neighbours Lab and we spend alot of time over there as well I will be puppy sitting when Rileys mom goes back to work in July. (She has been off due to a hysterectomy)

and when we go over Diamond gathers up all Rileys toys/sticks etc etc and placs them beside me. She sorta guards them. but wont let him near them. then when she isnt looking or is getting a drink he steals one & they chase each other around. (play)

Just curious as to keep her from somewhat guarding? (I do use the leave it command) & she does listen for the most part but I dont want a possible incident to happen while Riley is here? Even if it could be something like her pool?

I dont think I can gather all the sticks in our yard although Toys I can do. :D

Thanks guys

bendyfoot
June 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Are you or any other human able to take an item away from her when she's "guarding"?

Diamondsmum
June 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hmmm I would have to say sorta yup bendy she sorta does cover them with her chest but I can get it from her as can Dh. (kids havent been with us to try so much over there here yes kids can)

BUT it she has a NEW toy here she runs & hides usually outside here & when approached she will pick up toy & run from you for a few minutes then bring it to you. Drop it is not a known command :rolleyes:

ownedbycats
June 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Diamondsmom - I feel for you. Although I have no advice :shrug: We just discovered that our dog will guard her toys from other dogs. She has played with other dogs, but for the first time, she had a stick and decided no one else should have it. :wall: Sunshine, too, is good about letting humans take her toys. okay so we have to pry it from between her clenched teeth, she won't volutarily drop it, but it's only because she really likes playing tug. If you lose she brings the toy right back and all but shoves it in your hand, she just insits on hanging on to the other end. :laughing: Apparently, dogs aren't allowed to paly with anything she considers hers.

bendyfoot
June 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I don't mind if one of ours has a stick/toy/bone whatever and guards it from the other dogs, as long as I can take it no questions asked. Our dogs are bombproof that way, anyone can stick a hand in their mouths and take anything they have, if they wanted to (although "drop it/leave it" are part of their vocabularies :D) It seems that a lot of the play interactions between my dogs involve "I have something you want and you can't have it, ha-ha", and after the snarly mine-all-mine parts are done it turns into a big fun chase or keepaway game. :D

kandy
June 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
My collie mutt hates the other dogs playing with his toys. My newfie girl thinks he IS her toy...lol When his cousins come over, he will run around the house like mad gathering up all his toys. If they come near the stack, he growls. For the other dogs, it's a game - they will sneak to take a toy from the pile and run with it. If he catches them, they will let him take it from their mouths. I don't know if he had toys when he was young (I adopted him at a year old from the local HS - he'd been dumped for 'chewing up new carpet') or if it's a game for him too. As long as he's not nasty about it, I let it go.

We also work with the dogs to make sure that you can take whatever they have, both by making them drop it or by reaching in the mouth and taking it.