Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I found a lump!

Winston
June 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Oh boy now I am a little freaked out! I was brushing Winston yesterday and found a lump on his back leg! Yikes! it is really hard and does not move?? :sad:

Thankfully he is going for his check up and heartworm tonight after work but it has me sooo worried.. I did find a lump before but it was very soft and moved around. Not likethis one at all? This one feels like a little rock inside of his leg?

Now I have to fret about it all day at work! :rolleyes:

Love4himies
June 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: for Winston. I hate the waiting period, it gives time for too many things to go through your mind and of course it is always the worse case senario :yell: :o

:grouphug: for you.

krdahmer
June 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
:pray::goodvibes: that it's nothing to worry about!:grouphug:

bendyfoot
June 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: keep us posted!

aslan
June 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Oh Winston I hope it's nothing serious. Probably just a stiff muscle. Keep us posted.

Polar Bear
June 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
:grouphug::goodvibes::fingerscr Winston is going to be ok!!! Lets hope aslan is right & its just a sore muscle. Good luck! :pray:

14+kitties
June 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
More :pray::goodvibes: coming your way. Let us know how Winston does.

muggsmom
June 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes:from here too!

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Winston is getting to that phase where the little lumps and bumps start showing up--they scare the Hoomans...but usually turn out to be nothing. :grouphug:

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for good news from the vet!

diandpat
June 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Winston I am sure it will turn out to be nothing but I know you need to hear it from the vet.

Ginger is a very "lumpy" dog and it honestly used to tighten my stomach whenever I would feel a new lump. The vet used to aspirate them...to calm me down because she always felt they were nothing :laughing::laughing::laughing: Now that Ginger is 15 and still getting lumps we just keep an eye on them for unusual growth and I have taught myself to "go with the flow" :D

Please post an update when you get back from vet :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Winston
June 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I will let you know what he thinks! I felt it again and it feels like it is right on a muscle! extremely tight! no movement..but Winston is bit muscular through the legs so it could be anything!

Yeah I guess it could be the age thing too! its funnt how fast your life goes by when you think of how long you have a pet? It made me think how quickly almost 10 yrs went by! wow! I remember those days I used to think when will he grow out of that puppy stage! :D

Cheers and thanks again for all the well wishes and reassurances! :thumbs up

pbpatti
June 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Lots of hugs and smooches for Winston. :pray: he willl be fine. pbp

Winston
June 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks pbp! how is your gal doing today? and how are you doing with little sleep?

ScottieDog
June 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Sending good thoughts to Winston (and you). My Mac is old and he's getting lumpy on me too. I know the scary feeling.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
:pray::pray::goodvibes::goodvibes: I hope it's nothing serious. Maybe it's a bump, like he hit himself or something while playing.

Chaser
June 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hope everything is fine :goodvibes:

DH's parents dog is 10 and has become incredibly lumpy.

Keep us posted.

Winston
June 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Well we are back! I actually found 3 more lumps before I took him tonight! I was really scared to be honest...But I feel much better. The lumps are like cysts nothing to worry about except he said that some of them get large and rupture. Its more like a fatty deposit. However one of the lumps is near the sweat gland near his front area and he said I need to watch that one just in case it changes.

The one on his leg that had me worried because it was really hard actually moved around once the vet got ahold of it....

Winston got a clean bill of health for a 66 yr old! :D...he will be 10 in November! However he has been toooo lazy for the winter and is weighing in at a wopping 113 lbs! thats the most he has ever weighed! '

I may have to look at portion sizes again and revisit food options..maybe Orijen has a senior formula?? The ver mentioned the eyes were starting to show their age with the glossines and his teeth were great for his age! so all in all I feel better! just the lumps! I will be paying more attention to them now!

Thanks for all the well wishes..Winston sends big slobbery smooches for you all! :laughing:

Chaser
June 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Glad to hear all is well! Those fatty deposit things are what Heidi has...the vet just says to watch them to make sure they don't get too big.

I'm pretty sure Orijen makes a senior food....

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/senior.aspx

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Winston, I'm glad the lumps were nothing really worrisome.

Winston isn't the only one who's packed on some winter pounds LOL.

Frenchy
June 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Ginger is a very "lumpy" dog and it honestly used to tighten my stomach whenever I would feel a new lump. The vet used to aspirate them...to calm me down

:laughing: Same here ! Between Bailey , Daisy and Sam , omg .... now I know when it's a fatty one :cool:

I may have to look at portion sizes again and revisit food options..maybe Orijen has a senior formula??

I'm glad Winston is ok !!! :thumbs up about the Orijen , I think it's like Canidae ? It's the same food but there's a chart on the bag , amounts for different life stages ?

I don't buy the senior or light food (usually full of corn :yuck:) I just give the same food but less for my seniors.

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
That's what we do, too--we don't buy a senior food--just feed less of what we have. Actually, it seems like I'm adjusting amounts every few months depending on the season--they all eat more in fall and less in late winter and spring.

I'm glad to hear that the lumps turned out to be nothing serious :highfive: :grouphug:

ScottieDog
June 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Such a wonderful update. I think it is important to get these things checked out--even if it is just for our personal sanity. Good for Winston!

When Mac has a suspicious lump the vet wanted me to monitor it. I got a circle template and could use this to measure the lump down to the 64th of an inch. This type of template can be found at craft or art stores in the drafting section. Mac's little place seemed to be more cyst-like and the aspiration caused it to shrink, scab and flake off. I can't find it now, but measured it faithfully for several weeks until it disappeared. I still check for it though.

This is what the template looks like:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.timelytemplates.com/Timelypics/T-88PD.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.timelytemplates.com/popular.html&h=306&w=480&sz=20&tbnid=JTd96cqTYpjx1M:&tbnh=82&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcircle%2Btemplate&hl=en&usg=__9nFbkHpn-Lij4arsNtu2zrv6sqs=&ei=rH8uSuSHL8OptgfbivWNDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image