Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Limping Puppy

myhobbitfeet
June 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
:confused:

I have a 11 month old English Bulldog,, for the past two weeks, when he lays down for a while or sleeps and goes to get up, he limps. After about 10 steps he is fine, and he runs around fine in the yard with the other dog. Just when he first gets up he always limps and doesnt put any weight on his front right leg, sometimes he stumbles and falls down? I am just confused because it is the same leg everytime, it started suddenly and is fine after a few steps.

I checked Bruce's, (thats his name), leg and paw, he does not seem to be in any pain whatsoever. There is no swelling and his joints are not hot.

He is one of my babies and I love him very much. It doesnt seem like he is in pain but it bothers me that he doesnt put any weight on that leg at first and when he trys, he falls over.

I thought maybe his foot was asleep,, but it is the same one,, and now it is happening everytime....

Suggestions?

- Amanda

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome Amanda myhobbitfeet, sorry I do not have any help for you but someone who can give you some thoughts will be along.

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I do have an idea but it would be pure speculation. I think you need to speak with your vet and describe the symptoms as you have here.

Pupster
June 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I also have a similar issue with my bichon-shihtzu who is 9 months old. However, he also limps while he walks even after getting up. I took him to the vet for an examination and x-rays and the vet said something about his growth plates being injured. There must have been some trauma to it (for ex. jumping off the back of the couch) and now it's tender. He's on some anti-inflammatory meds but I was told that it's really just rest that he needs. So, a full recovery is expected.

I would suggest bringing your dog to the vet. The limping in my dog is definitely more pronounced when he gets up from lying down.

Good luck!