Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sasha gots an owie

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
My energetic, inquistitve doggy hurt herself this morning. We were walking off leash at the "camp" and she ran into something?? She sliced open the upper part of her leg and also a cut on her front chest. As I am writing she is at the emerg vet waiting for stitches. I am so thankful that dogs have thick skin because that is all that she tore. She made one little squeal and then stood waiting for me to come to her. No other noise what a trooper. My concern right now is that they have to sedate her to stitch her up, hate that but with the two owies she would probably not sit still for them. My house is toooooo quiet without her. I should be able to pick her up this evening and get to baby her for a few days. Please send all of your hugs and prayers that she will be fine. I know she will be but the more hughs and prayers we send the better. pbp

Ford Girl
June 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Aww patti, hugs and preayers heading your way, she's a tough girl, she'll do just fine. :) Keep is posted.

14+kitties
June 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Poor Sasha!! And poor Mom! She did a good job of standing and waiting though. It could have been so much worse had she panicked. I'm sure she will be ok. How could she not be? She has such a good Mommy to watch over her! :cloud9::grouphug::goodvibes::fingerscr

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for your good wishes FG and 14+, I just called the emerg vet and they still have not done the suturing. :sad: I took Sasha in around 11:00 am, they said that they had an emergency surgery to do and a second vet does not come in until 2:00 pm. Is there a higher risk of infection when they take so long to do surgery? Also sounds like they had another emerg come in this afternoon so they are very busy.

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
We've had to wait longer than that for suturing, pbpatti--one of our dogs got into barbed wire and we had to drive back 3 hours, then wait till the next morning. They gave him an injection of antibiotics and had to trim the edges of the wound a bit, but it healed beautifully with no complications! :thumbs up

So do you have any idea of what she ran into? :eek: Poor baby!!!! :grouphug:s for both you and the beautiful Sasha!

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
:goodvibes: for a fast recovery for Sasha

Any idea what she cut herself on?

Patti :grouphug: she'll be fine even though it's not sutured right away, the techs would've given her a pain med and possibly an antibiotic upon admission and cleaned the wound as best as they could before the dr would be in for sutures.

Having just spent the better part of 64 hours getting well acquainted with the workings of an ER vet hospital dealing with constantly incoming emergencies I can tell you Sasha is in good hands :grouphug:

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks Hazel for the info, it looks like I might have to wait until the morning now to pick her up, they still have not called back:sad:

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hazel, Growler ( I just read your thread about Duffy) I know that they have to look after the more serious injuries but it's hard to wait.

I am not sure what she cut herself on I will have to look next week when we go out again. The owner of the camp, Ron, said that he used "tinsel" wire, I do know that it was not barbed. Perhaps she hit the tinsel wire so hard that it tore her skin. It is a very clean cut in a triangle shape. The one on her chest is circular about the size of a dime.

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsel_wire if there are any end pieces connected together in the wire it is barbed at those sections :shrug:

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Growler, why would he use tinsel wire? Looks like it is used mainly for telephone wire???? I will take a look and see what other info I can find.

pbpatti
June 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I was looking at a picture and they showed it with a plastic coating on it I don't htink there was any coating on this one. If not then it could be pretty lethal I would think.

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Bummer that you have to wait till tomorrow to pick her up :sad: But what a wonderful homecoming it will be!

Ms Sasha will be right as rain before ya know it! :goodvibes:

luckypenny
June 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Big :grouphug: for both you and Sasha, Patti. Try not to worry but think about your reunion tomorrow instead :goodvibes:.

pbpatti
June 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Guess what, I got to pick up Sasha, the poor thing is so groggy and wobbly, I got her into bed and she is resting, they did not give me any pain meds though, is there something I might have in the house that I could give her if she needs it tonight? Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Dee-O-Gee
June 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Patti!

Poor baby girl. :sad: Big :grouphug::grouphug:'s from the gang.

I found this on a website a while ago about household medications that are o.k. for pets. Not sure if any of these will help but it sure is handy to have otherwise.

Good luck and :goodvibes::goodvibes: for Sasha. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
How is the pretty girl doing this morning, patti? :goodvibes:

diandpat
June 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Aw,sorry to read about Sasha's mishap. Hope she (and Mum) had a good night's sleep and that she is feeling better today :lovestruck:

pbpatti
June 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I am bleary-eyed. Sasha woke several times in the night crying. Gave her cuddles and she went back to sleep except the 4:00AM wakeup, she had go outside brrrr it was cold.

This morning she was almost like herself, since they did not have to put her to sleep I think recuperation will be quicker.

KLM thanks for the list, after I posted that last night I looked about here and Dr. Lee does not want us to give our pets aspirin, buffered or not. So Sasha will not get any home products. She did not seem to be in pain just uncomfortable. pbp

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
You might want to see if the vet can give you a mild pain-killer, patti. Not for the pain, but for the itching that's going to start in a couple days. We always have the worst problem with stitch ripping when the itching starts :rolleyes: But the pain meds seem to have a soothing effect on the itch! :thumbs up

How is she feeling tonight? More comfy, I hope? :goodvibes: