Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rollercoaster kitty recovery - been to the vet, need second opinion

Cataloons!
June 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
hi there... i'm new here and this is my first post. i will introduce myself and my kitty in the introductions section... but i have a question i need to ask first:

5 days ago my 2 year old cat Mimi had her spay surgery. her recovery has been an up-and-down whirlwind. i'm a first time pet owner, and she's been living with me for a year so i think i know her pretty well.

when she first came home from surgery, she was full of beans and behaving normally - it was difficult to get her to settle down and rest. she over-exerted herself, and the next day she was weak, lethargic, and started vomiting and experiencing diarrhea. spoke to her vet, and they suggested we bring her back in for observation. they held onto her for a few hours but told us she was fine, didn't have any sign of infection, incision was healing well, and that we could come and get her.

we brought her back home and confined her to a safe room. next day, she was fine. not as energetic as before, but walking around, eating and drinking normally, and talking again (she's a chatty kitty, but goes silent when she's uncomfortable or scared). yesterday, she was well... and then at night started up with the vomiting and diarrhea again. today she's weak and lethargic, and avoiding food and water.

i've been perusing the net, trying to find out if this up-and-down post-op recovery experience is normal, but i haven't found any similar stories recorded anywhere.

does anyone have any advice? should we just stay the course and see how she goes over the next 24-hours? or does she need to go back to the vet? i know that it says EVERYWHERE that vomiting + diarrhea = vet time, but they sent her home with no real advice last time.

i just want my baby to be okay! she goes next weekend to get her sutures out.

any help would be appreciated!
thanks!

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Could she be reacting to the anesthesia? Did the vet perform any tests while she was there? I'm sorry I can't be more help. Perhaps calling the vet again and letting them know she's still experiencing vomiting and diarrhea.

All of my cats were spayed and neutered at around 5-6 months and they didn't have any problems.

Cataloons!
June 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
hm, i'm pretty sure the anesthesia would be worn off by now, after 5 days, wouldn't it? the vet had originally said that the vomiting/diarrhea were probably reactions to pain. she has rested plenty since then, and hasn't been fussing over her stitches at all. i'm starting to think her up-and-downness is just that she's feeling fine, over-exerting herself, over-eating/drinking, getting ill, followed by a rest period, followed by feeling fine and then over-exerting herself again, in a cycle. we've been trying to keep her contained and low-key, but during her well-moments she just wants to act like her normal self and obviously its too much for her right now. i'm going to decrease her food a little bit today, and if she doesn't vomit tonight, i will take that as a sign that she's improving.

the vet's office seems to be getting impatient with my calls, but maybe that's me being paranoid.

TeriM
June 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think you are being paranoid. I may have believed the first few days were from the anasthetic but five days out your cat should be feeling quite well not having vomiting and diarhea. Did you get any pain medications that she might be reacting to?

Cataloons!
June 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
woops! looks like i posted this in the wrong place. i didn't see the link to the Cat Health Forum - sorry about that.

TeriM - Mimi's not on any pain meds right now. The vet said she didn't need them. she was up and around a few minutes ago, had a bit of water, and is now resting again. she hasn't been sick for about 12 hours now. watching her closely. if she get's sick again, i will call the vet yet again. they can be as annoyed as they want, i'm not taking chances.

TeriM
June 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
she hasn't been sick for about 12 hours now. watching her closely. if she get's sick again, i will call the vet yet again. they can be as annoyed as they want, i'm not taking chances.

Definately :thumbs up. Watch out for excessive water intake as well. That can be a sign of infection. If your vet won't react then you can always consider getting another opinion.

:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
If you need to take her back, they'll just have to deal with it. It's not like they aren't going to charge you, and if your cat is suffering from something then they should help her.

sugarcatmom
June 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
the vet had originally said that the vomiting/diarrhea were probably reactions to pain.

TeriM - Mimi's not on any pain meds right now. The vet said she didn't need them.

Grrrrr!!! I'd like some of these vets to get spayed themselves and see how they like it without pain meds. Spay surgeries are VERY painful (just ask any woman that's had a hysterectomy) and it blows my mind that vets don't provide adequate post-surgery pain control for cats. Having said that, being that it's now been 5 days, it's too late for meds. The pain should be considerably less by now. But if they'd had the compassion to give her something like a Fentanyl pain patch right after her spay, she probably would be healing faster. Some vets think that if the cat is in pain, it will be less active and won't hurt itself so soon after the operation. Ridiculous. For one thing, if anyone has seen a cat on a pain patch, all they want to do is sit and stare at the wall. They're stoned, they have no desire to run around. It's the best thing for keeping a cat quiet. Anyway, what's done is done and hopefully your little girl will be back to normal in no time.

TacoGrl
June 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
If you have worries, go to the vet...who cares if they are annoyed...they did the surgery and they should stand behind their work!

*Rant alert* I think it's funny :rolleyes: how when you take your car in for a repair and the repair isn't done right, you take it back and they redo it for free if they screwed it up, but a lot of vets charge you for their mistakes...we need to be more dilligent when it comes to return visits...we pay a lot of $$$...ignore the guilt and make them stand up to the plate. *rant off* :D

Having said that, there are some EXCELLENT vets out there...try talking to yours and be assertive, but not rude and see if you can get a follow-up no charge, as it should be.

growler~GateKeeper
June 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Did the vet give any instructions post op to reduce the food intake?

When a cat goes in for a spay or any surgery they are fasted prior to the surgery and should be fed small amounts frequently after to ensure they don't vomit since they haven't had anything in their stomach for several hours combined with the effects of anaesethesia.

Anytime a cat has had diarreah & vomiting they have an increased chance to become dehydrated so water should be available as normal but again food should be fed small amounts frequently for about 48hrs to ensure it stays down.

Are you feeding dry or canned? What brand?

I would recommend purchasing a probiotic to add to her food - easier to do if you feed canned. I use PB8 (http://www.nutritionnow.com/PB8.htm) for my cat. Sugarcatmom likes Ultimate Probiotic 12/12 (http://www.vitasprings.com/ultimate-probiotic-12-12-60-capsules-natural-factors.html). There is also one the vets usually use called Fortiflora (http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/FelineProductDetail.aspx?prod=240), if your clinic uses they may be able to either give or sell you a couple of packets, oir they will sell you a box of 30.

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
is she getting into something she shouldnt?

Cataloons!
June 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Mimi's surgery happened on Tuesday... the vomiting and diarrhea didn't start until Thursday night. she went back to the vet on Friday for observation and of course had no odd symptoms while she was there. the clinic didn't charge anything for her care that day, so i'm not too concerned that they'll charge if i have to bring her back.

so far she has eaten and drank small amounts throughout today and has kept it down, so i'm hopeful that the issue might be on its way to being resolved. we'll see how tonight goes. she is having her normal Wellness indoor cat kibbles and some of this high-fibre canned food that the vet gave us when she went in for observation. she has gotten a ton of rest today, and is now sitting here cleaning herself which i think is a good sign. things seem to be looking up. i am concerned about weight loss and dehydration - she's a tiny cat (weighs 5lbs!) and can't afford to lose. but as i said... if she keeps her food down through the night then it looks like she'll have turned a corner.

as for getting into stuff... her first day back from surgery was a challenge. she wanted to be up on the window ledges soooo badly, and the sneaky little girl attempted some daring jumps when she was still quite sore from the operation. that's when we started confining her to the safe room. but she's been with us in the living room all day today and has not attempted anything hardcore (likely due to exhaustion from being sick). she'll be put in the safe room anytime we're not home, until her sutures are removed next weekend.

thanks everyone for your help, i think she's going to be alright :)